Sign in to follow this  
OzSnoal

Cold Boot? Memory Died? [email protected] = who you need to contact

Some benchmark and overclocking result for us to see how ABIT defeat DFI :D ?

I second that.

Those fatal1ty are great boards but rely more on their bells and whistles (which I don't like, I belong to the minimalist kind) than on their overclocking capabilities.

As for the performance, with a64 it depends more on bios and its settings than anything else as the memory controller is on die and the reference design is more or less well respected by every motherboard maker (see that awful southbridge chip position on every nf4 motherboard? Be thankful to NVidia for that, they made up the pretty reference design)

Just a quick update here. I flashed the 510-2 BIOS, tried some OCZ recommended settings and had nothing but problems (cold boot issues even worse than before). So, I put the jumper back to it's 3V position (limiting ram voltage to 3.2 volts), set timings at 1.5-2-2-6, 220MHz FSB/HTT with a multiplier of 11 and the ram running at 3.2 volts. No errors in Memtest/Prime95, feels pretty snappy and no more cold boot issues.

Yeah, the ram is under-clocked by 50MHz (DDR400 vs. DDR500, which is what it's rated for) but I got tired of the flakey nature of trying to run the ram at higher voltage (3.3-3.4) with the jumper moved over and the cold boot issues (or NO boot issue). At one point, I shut it off, got up the next morning and it wouldn't even boot. Nothing. It was like someone had yanked the power cord.

So, I'm back to UNDER-clocked status on the ram, although as I already noted it's very stable, seems reasonably snappy AND it boots and loads Windoze every time I hit the power button (without incident). At least it's reliable, if not exactly what I PAID for.

I'll just sit back and wait to see what DFI/OCZ come up with to solve this one. Obviously it's NOT a simple thing for them to figure out but they've got some pretty smart folks working on both sides of this issue and hopefully they'll come up with a solution that we can all live with.

Later.

DFI NF4 Ultra-D, 1GB OCZ PC4000 VX, AMD A64 3500+ Winchester, Sapphire X850 XT, Thermaltake PurePower 680 (NATIVE 24-pin power supply), other stuff not worth bragging about.

I sure wish they would hurry though. I've haven't been able to run with a gig in dual channel for close to 2 months. I paid a premium for this hardware - if I had spent $200 less for my mobo/memory my machine would be smoother than it is right now (w/ 512 in single channel).

I am with you Crafty. This setup wasn't cheap. I set my jumper back to 3.2 and everything seems stable. I will push my ram to see how far this will go and stay stable until the Over 3.2 issue is resolved.

I am currently running the 325 Bios. Has anyone had any issues with it? Does anyone recommend a different Bios? Let me know.

It sounds like only a couple of people have it.

Not to mention the fact that if it blows up your mobo, you are SOL due to it being beta.

!!! EVERYONE READ THIS !!!

I Have some OCZ Gold EL 4000VX: Part number OCZ5001024ELDCGEVX-K and on the sticker on the ram it says 2-2-2-8. This is the same as the picture of the ram on OCZ's website seen here: http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memo...channel_gold_vx

Now get this. GO HERE http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820227206 . This is the OCZ Gold EL 4000VX and it is the same part number as my ram. BUT LOOK! The timings on it are suddenly 2-3-3-8. Look at the Picture!

OCZ Has switched from CH to the new BH silently or changed specifications??

What are they up to now :confused:

derektm, I've been wondering that myself. I have the sticks that say 2-3-3-8, but never thought much of anything.

Is this is in fact a chip change or just specs based on testing for the batch?

derektm, I've been wondering that myself. I have the sticks that say 2-3-3-8, but never thought much of anything.

Is this is in fact a chip change or just specs based on testing for the batch?

Im going to call OCZ and see what they say. I will let everyone know. If they have changed to BH you might want to RMA and get get rid of your CH, because 3.5v is too much for CH IMO.

I dont know if it is safe to give out to anyone, i would feel horrible if your system was pooched cuz of it.