Cold Boot? Memory Died? [email protected] = who you need to contact

Where in the world would you get the impression that you can't have a valid experiment with more than one variable?

What "basic rule" are you talking about?

As long as you have the equipment available there are an infinite number of variables you can test with.

In fact, there could be two variables involved in this situation. It might take a particlar board with specific RAM to display the symptoms described.

You might want to brush up on your "scientific method" before posting something like that again.

The scientific method...

http://teacher.nsrl.rochester.edu/phy_labs.../AppendixE.html

See I,1:

I. The scientific method has four steps

1. Observation and description of a phenomenon or group of phenomena.

Some report weeks or months , some only within 2 or 3 days ... I really can not see how we could prove the final conclusion that is valid if we can not narrow down the variable to be only single one ... This is the basic rule when we want to do some technical experiment ... There are two variable may cause the the problem now , one is the board , the other one is the memory ... We can not come into any conclusion no matter how you design your experiment becasuse there are two uncertainty and that will violate the basic rule when we want to find out the truth !!!

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am no scientist, I am just using common sense:

4 sticks of VX were killed within 2 days on my old board

this points to

A: Bum motherboard

B: Properly Functioning MOBO, UTT cant handle voltage

C: Crap PSU

My conclusions:

C) is out of the question...its a brand new ENERMAX SLI certified 600W. My overclocks arent limited on either the vidcard or CPU and mem and no crazy errors WHILE the system is running, in fact performance is astounding...IT cant be a power problem as it isnt the limiting factor. Getting up and running to begin with is.

A) Possible, even likely, however I have no substantial proof so cant say for sure. However i now have a hand verified board by oskar, and he will have my old one soon and surely he will report the results of his testing on it. Who knows maybe i have an odd defect...it happens to all manufacturers.

Also:

I trust him.

I dont think he would put his reputation, and his company's, on the line unless he was sure this board was working right. Would you?

B) I will soon have GUARANTEED BY OCZ ram that is without a doubt capable of running 3.5v for its LIFETIME as per the warranty. Likely they would be wise to send me modules they are SURE there are no outside chances of them failing for any reason.

This is a good test bercause it proves that both companies can come up with components that work as advertised and likely we can all be fixed up via RMA, and/or bios updates.

This is not scientific method but its common sense and its what im going to do, if its not good enough for any you, and is not valid scientifically...then come up with your own solution, and get to work because it is easy to stand and criticize what im trying to do here...meanwhile ALL of us are suffereing.

I AM DOING SOMETHING TO TRY ANFD HELP US ALL.

REMEMBER WHAT DFI AND OCZ HAVE DONE TO HELP US ALL ON THIS ISSUE.

6 STICKS OF HIGH PERFORMANCE MEMORY AND TWO TOP OF THE LINE MOBOS:

NEVERMIND THE SHIPPING COSTS, MONEY TO PAY EMPLOYEES AND ENGINEERS LIEK OSKAR TO SPEND THE TIME TO IDENTIFY THIS PROBLEM.

IF YOU CANT CONTRIBUTE GET LOST!!!!!

You arent any use to any side of this situation when all you do is just sit on your butt and do nothing but complain.

B) I will soon have GUARANTEED BY OCZ ram that is without a doubt capable of running 3.5v for its LIFETIME as per the warranty. Likely they would be wise to send me modules they are SURE there are no outside chances of them failing for any reason.

I know you are trying to find out what's the problem of your board to kill 2 sets of memory

To make it simple , let's skip all the other question ...

Just one simple question ...

How can we be sure the new UTT OCZ send you will 100% problem free @ 3.5V in any conditions although it's 100% ok before you got it ?

Yes , OCZ did do a lot of testing to prove it's ok , but unexpected thing will happened when you overclocking and overvoltage ... No body know in the next seconds , will it still be ok or not ... Any seconds could be it's last seconds of it's high voltage life ...

If you can choose UTT and old BH5 to test the 3.5V memory voltage setting in DFI board , which one you want to use for testing if it's your board to kill the memory ?

I will choose BH5 first ... If the BH5 is ok on your old board and new board , no matter what happened to UTT in the next , we can be more confident that UTT or not all UTT is able to handle high voltage for a extended period

How can we be sure the new UTT OCZ send you will 100% problem free @ 3.5V in any conditions although it's 100% ok before you got it ?

Exactly that was the reason i selected HighVoltage RAM (OCZ VX) again cause this time i want to get sure the RAM is verified for HighVoltage.

Of course its not the scientific way to bring light into the darkness but for the people who dont have the stuff to do real and detailed research its a good alternative

In my opinion the VX warranty not only is valid for the PCB which can handle such high Voltages of course it implies the ICs at least it should :) cause the warranty is valid for the whole product.

So as i said i cannot do the scientific research BUT i am sure OCZ can and defintely has done it. So its their task to sort out any potential problems that might occur and therefor they can make a VX product possible otherwise it simply wouldnt exist.

I dont want to go the easy road i want to help and participate in finding a solution for the problem and therefor i give it another try on the VX RAM and i will see what happens :)

The starter of this thread:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...1982#post131982

OZSnoal disovered that a long time ago....not as in depth as that, but he disvovered voltage isnt applied in the right sequence to boot at high fsb and tight timings.

Oskar is already aware and will be relaesing the fix in a future bios release, however even people who use a DDR booster to bypass the voltage not being applied initially..still experience the cold boot...

so as the title of this thread states...."found the cause of the cold boot issue"

It is related possibly, but not quite the definitvae answer due to other circumstanced contridicting..including ozsnoals further testing himself.

strange stuff, i puted the jumper on 3.2v max position, and try to run the booster in the 1 slot(yellow) whit the vx on the slot 2 and 4(orange), i am currently writing this using the the vx at 3.5v 1.5-2-2-5 whit no problems :confused: , i gonna run some more tests, maybe i got lucky not to kill my sticks whit the 5v jumper enabled!

What do you guys advise me to do now?!

P.S. My first cold boot was whit a simple restart of the machine one week since i got the board and the vx in the same rig, i did a simple reset in bios didn`t work, pulled of the power cord and removed the batery for 12 hours and the computer was up and runing for one more week.

this is DEFINATELY the best bios ive had on this board so far

Eh all. I got my replacement board from Oskar as well, seems to be a duplicate of dsumanik's. The 6-2 bios seems sexy, I haven't had a single quirk running for a day or so... although it is running with borrowed 3200 value ram. I (also) reinstalled video drivers as I had to yank a friends 6600gt (the old board took down my x800xl with it and I'm working on an rma ( :mad: )). I put the 71.84s on there without a hitch and everything is working fine. Ah stock...

Exactly that was the reason i selected HighVoltage RAM (OCZ VX) again cause this time i want to get sure the RAM is verified for HighVoltage.

Of course its not the scientific way to bring light into the darkness but for the people who dont have the stuff to do real and detailed research its a good alternative

In my opinion the VX warranty not only is valid for the PCB which can handle such high Voltages of course it implies the ICs at least it should :) cause the warranty is valid for the whole product.

So as i said i cannot do the scientific research BUT i am sure OCZ can and defintely has done it. So its their task to sort out any potential problems that might occur and therefor they can make a VX product possible otherwise it simply wouldnt exist.

I dont want to go the easy road i want to help and participate in finding a solution for the problem and therefor i give it another try on the VX RAM and i will see what happens :)

Well , that's what you choose to believe ... I won't believe something like this

unless they can show us some evidence that how many thing they do to ensure

that 3.5V and 250mhz is 100% problem free when their chip source did not

gurantee anything like this ...

I don't know what kind of company they are ...

But as far as I know , there is a lot of small 2nd tier module company is just a "

BRAND " company ... They did not actually design or manufacture the module by

themselves but out sourcing existing product from 3rd party OEM vendors ...

Take kingston for example , they have a testing white paper to explain what's the

detail testing and validation process ...

http://www.kingston.com/server/MKF_221_TestingWhitepaper.pdf

If the module maker have a complete design and validate team , they should be

able to prodive us something like this ... But I did not see it on their website ...

UTT exist more than one year ? Absolutely wrong ... UTT comes out after DFI NF4 is released ...

Who told you that? Sorry, but your completely wrong.. ;)

Oh and, you can drop your doubts about OCZ..

Who told you that? Sorry, but your completely wrong.. ;)

Oh and, you can drop your doubts about OCZ..

Can you show me something about what you say ? More than one year ?

The totally unmark UTT chip is firstly found to be used on OCZ VX 4000 Gold

series of memory , and the announcement of this product is dated in February 22, 2005 ...

The DFI nf4 series are announced in January 4, 2005 ...

I don't know what's called I am completely wrong ...

Just check the ocz and dfi web site , you will see that ...

i shudown the computer for the night and power it up today no problems, so far, made a couple of shutdowns today, :):):) , so for the ppl who doesn`t have killed sticks put the booster in slot 1 and turn the jumper in 3.2v position, at least for a day things are working fine

cumps