Sign in to follow this  
OzSnoal

Cold Boot? Memory Died? [email protected] = who you need to contact

Will report the results tomorrow. Was really surprised that it still wont work after i exchanged the motherboard. Really hoping that it is my graphics card and not the AMD chip because in my country, RMA a AMD chip can take 1-2 months.. :drool:

Well good news, OCZ has stepped up to the plate and will send me more memory to help put this problem to rest.

Talk about customer support!

I will be recieving a 1 gig pc4000 kit pre-tested to positively handle 3.5 vdimm for an extended period of time.

So we have 2 externally verified and fully functioning products here to test with.

I will get the board mounted tonight hopefully and some side by side screenies and do a quick post check.

Then when the new ram comes, Ill do some heavy burn in and hopefully everything works properly this time....

Id just like to say that both DFI and OCZ have stepped up to the plate bigtime here...not only with speedy RMA replacement, and tech support, but in being honest and working to try and figure out why this is happening to so many of us.

That is ALOT, i repeat ALOT more than many companies will ever do.

Thanks to both companies for their trust in the online community...because really folks, would you send new components to someone who just typed some stuff in a forum? All these RMA's are blind, and on the faith that users like me and you are honest and not taking advantage of the system, even though there is a problem here somewhere, and it is warranty i think it is still a pretty awesome thing to do considering the amount of time, money, and headache it causes.

I knwo many of you are just as frustrated with me with this, but please be patient we should hopefully have some answers soon.

Oskar told me he is recieving more and more damaged modules and many are failing in the same manner, some that he has tested failed off of using the ddr booster alone, soon he will have mine to test as well and hopefully he will be able to repeat how the memory is dying himself, and find the source of the problem, whatever it may be.

ugh, what a mess.

I had one occurance of what maybe the same thing a week or so ago.

I hit the on button after not using the PC for 7 days. The 850XTPE Fan spun to max as usual but never slowed down .... there was no monitor signal .... On this occasion .... as I'd never heard about the problem before (I've not been to the forum for a bit) I didn't check my diag lights (on the FrontX) and just powered down and tried again. It then worked fine and has ever since.

Is this the same problem ?

If so ... I'm on 3/10 BIOS .... have never oc'd anything ....

Paul.

Sounds abit like the fan problem I have, I have a suspicion its all to do with voltages and NF4 needed better PSUs. Cant see why Tagan's dont work tho!

What you see with this board is the first full scale widespread ability to use HIGH Vdimm. Before this, you had to be pretty hardcore OC'r to get past 3.3Vdimm.

My UTT dying incidents happened on NF2 with voltmod to 3.5Vdimm. My belief is the SPD roms are the actual culprits, rated at a lower voltage than the abs max of the ddr chips, and the weak link.... maybe even ON PURPOSE, like having a fuse :nod:

My "dead" sticks came back to life, but cant tolerate over 3.2Vdimm now. Others might just up and die. No SPD rom, bios cant read what the stick is and wont boot. SO a dead SPD rom will be a dead stick, even if the DDR chips are fine.

more research on this is needed, I just havent gotten up to the SMD rework machine yet....my bad.

The cold boot thing is most likely a voltage/mhz sequencing issue, where some ram just needs Vdimm high and settled before moving on, so the boot code on initial powerup and setup needs to be done in the right order to clear up the issue experienced by some of us with our BH5 sticks, etc.

I have 100% confidence Oskar will prevail, he always does, just give him some time.

I don`t know if this helps out, but i installed the ddrbooster in slot 3 and set the voltage to 3.5, it booted whit both sticks of vx at 255fsb, run into windows fine, played a litle, restarted, runed memtest for an hour, fine no errors, shutdown the computer,(didn`t touched the psu or the plug), 5 minutes later pushed the power buton and :sad: :sad: :sad: the fatal long bip and the 3 leds on....

I hope you guys can work a way out of this...i come here everyday whit the hope someone can fix this

over and out

What you see with this board is the first full scale widespread ability to use HIGH Vdimm. Before this, you had to be pretty hardcore OC'r to get past 3.3Vdimm.

My UTT dying incidents happened on NF2 with voltmod to 3.5Vdimm. My belief is the SPD roms are the actual culprits, rated at a lower voltage than the abs max of the ddr chips, and the weak link.... maybe even ON PURPOSE, like having a fuse :nod:

My "dead" sticks came back to life, but cant tolerate over 3.2Vdimm now. Others might just up and die. No SPD rom, bios cant read what the stick is and wont boot. SO a dead SPD rom will be a dead stick, even if the DDR chips are fine.

more research on this is needed, I just havent gotten up to the SMD rework machine yet....my bad.

The cold boot thing is most likely a voltage/mhz sequencing issue, where some ram just needs Vdimm high and settled before moving on, so the boot code on initial powerup and setup needs to be done in the right order to clear up the issue experienced by some of us with our BH5 sticks, etc.

I have 100% confidence Oskar will prevail, he always does, just give him some time.

I am 99% confident that your DRAM is damaged just like the other ones ... SPD ROM on most of the current DIMM module can handle up to 5V voltage ...

One of the two damaged stick I received start to act like what you encounter with your dram ...

When I first got it , it can only boot in high voltage ... But after the memory is boot ok , lower down voltage to 2.6V @ SPD timing , it's stable and working good

After some days of 3.2V torture testing(3.3V jumper location of course) , it still need high voltage to boot up , but now it requires 2.8V to work stable under SPD timing even at 200 mhz

Now ... It need some rest(uncertain time period) to boot up again once the system power off even with high bootup voltage ...

Hi Oskar

1. Why is the board killing 1 stick out of 2 sticks of UTT ram and killing ALOT of it....What is the cause of this. We have been waiting nearly 4 weeks for an answer on this now and still no answer.

2. What is causing the COLD BOOT issue....same again we have been waiting for a answer.

Please advise us on what is going on as there are alot of people getting angry about this.

Topboy

1 . You have a prejudice that it's the board generate voltage spike to kill the memory , I have say enough in previous post from what I know and the damaged componet I got ... Before I get more failure component to analysis , it's not a responsible action to comment more ...

2 . The cold boot issue may caused by two possible reason

A . Ram damage due to over voltage , which makes it need high boot up

voltage even at 200mhz no matter what the DRAM timing is

(the board will only boot in 200mhz after AC off)

B . The Ram need high voltage to boot in user select tight DRAM Timing even

in 200mhz after AC off

There is already a bios to verify if it's case B which will program DDR voltage to

3V(fixed at 3V) during DRAM detection sequence when 1st AC-on boot up)

If it's case B , I will be responsible for this and solve it in future bios revision

3 . I know user is getting angry about this , but what do you think I can do before it's confirmed that the board generate spike voltage to kill the memory ?

4 . If you still think that the on board DRAM regulator may generate voltage spike and it's a fault design circuit , I must tell you any other voltage mod device won't be any better ... Lots of them are much worse than you can imaginate ...

5 . DFI(or any other MB company)will and must gurantee anything within the defined spec ... Anything out of guranteed spec , I and DFI will still be glad to help user to improve or solve it if I can see what's happened ... That's why there is a lot of beta bios trying to satisfy the user to overcome many kind of stange problem due to individual overclocking setup ... Is that what we must do just because we provide user the option to try any possibility they want ? Sorry , in my personal opinion , I really don't think so ...

6 . If there is a MB company provide 5.0V DRAM voltage and 1000mhz FSB in bios menu but which is not guranteed ... After I bought this board , I set the 5.0V DRAM voltage and 1000mhz FSB to see if it works ... But the system did not boot ... Two possible condition ...

A . 1000 mhz fsb and 5.0V did generated but the setup I choose did not work or even cause the component to be damaged

B . 1000 mhz fsb is not generated and the 5V is not generated

Case A , the MB company already do what they should do

Case B , the MB company need to be reponsible for the problem , at least they need to make 1000mhz fsb and 5.0V generated

7 . A simple question ...

One MB that did not gurantee 3.3V DRAM voltage in spec(no matter the option is provided/supported or not)

A voltage mod device from 3rd party company gurantee 3.3V DRAM power delivery(by their claim)

3.3V guranteed DRAM(by their claim) ...

Put 3 of them together ...

But the DRAM is dead finally , which product should be responsible for the DRAM death ?

Hey topboy i know you are pretty pissed, but take it easy on oskar.

This whole scenario is ultra frustrating for us all... but obviously he is working on it as fast as he can, and its not like DFI, or anyone else wanted your memory to die or are trying to rip you off and leave you with faulty components on purpose.

Engineers like oskar wu are the reason we have the option of running 4v dimm in the first place, we should be thankful for that he wants to bring those kind of options to the table for us to enjoy.

take it easy on the guy, he is helping out however he can and it seems like everyone here is pointing the finger at him and DFI, but the real truth is that no one knows for sure yet what the real problem is.

I am on my THIRD set of VX now, 4 sticks toasted, with 2 more on the way to run the gauntlet again...beleive me I am tired of this just as much as the rest of you.

oskar has just sent me a new board, with a new bios that he himself has tested and verified is functioning properly, when I get the new memory we will try em at 3.5v and see if it lasts more than a day or two this time around.

Hang tough guys, lots of people are working on this, and the fix and cause should be found soon, until then we have to put the negative energy were all feeling into trying to figure out what the heck is going on.

Who knows topboy, if you try hard enough you might even be able to find the problem, by accident or organized testing.....

I am on my THIRD set of VX now, 4 sticks toasted, with 2 more on the way to run the gauntlet again...beleive me I am tired of this just as much as the rest of you.

Exactly the fact that u have already toasted 4 Sticks of VX which is validated for up to 3,5V VDimm should be an evidence that there is something wrong with this board.

But the DFI guys in here pretend as it would be nothing really serious.

As they already told us they have not find any difficulties with this motherboard and high vdimm so whats the matter?

User faults? Yes maybe but in the case of VX RAM there is something more we have to talk about.

And even if Oskar is the reason we have this high VDimm options out of the box without have to mod this mobo and loose our warranty a faulty implementation (if thats the case) is even more worse than having not this feature.

Alright guys, got the new board mounted, fresh install of winxp ready for testing. I am now waiting for the new modules from OCZ, and we can start cracking down to see whats going on here.

Well, oskar sent me a new beta bios with this board and it has a few noticeable differences:

Thanks oskar!

it is dated 602-2

this is DEFINATELY the best bios ive had on this board so far, ithe mem subsystem seems alot more solid and snappy, windows installed much faster than normal and no unecessary pauses or delays on startup.

There is some sort of number code beginning with mvmm right after the cpu info, and it displays the cpu as CPU #0 ..... along with the rest of the info instead.

Also, voltages on my board are now readin ~0.1v higher than what the setting is in the bios. For example, if i set vdimm 2.8, the reading says 2.87. The amount is always higher, usually about 0.08v more +/- .03v.

So i guess, when it comes time for the test i should only set vdimm to 3.4, so i dont exceed 3.5v...assuming that the mobo is reading the voltages correct.

A bug noticed though, after nuking and paving windows andinstalling all mobo drivers, updating windows, i just had vidcard drivers for the 6800gt left.

After installing nvidia videocard drivers, the system gave a blue screen of death on next reboot.

I had to log into safe mode, run chkdsk, defraged, and then it let me back in and all is well now, dont knwo if this is from the bios but it was on a clean install at stock settings.

On second reboot after, the nvidia display drivers have completely uninstalled on thier own now, AND i have this safely romve hardware icon in the system tray listing all the hard drives i have in the system????

What the hell is that? Its late now I will try and fix tomorrow.

Also, my kingston value ram will NOT post or work in any config using the yellow slots, only on the orange slots now.

I would say this is due to using a -2 bios, these modules arent meant for tight timings, so that would make sense.

and for the big kicker:

The old VX still shows symptoms of the cold boot problem.... :confused:

however i dont think this is the boards fault, these sticks are beyond damaged now and i think would have troubles posting in any system.

Also in my old board, they were to the point where it was a real classy lady to get them to post at all even with the one "good" dimm. On this new board the good stick came up first try at low voltage so i would say that this board is more stable, or friendly to the cold boot problem.

So after it is all said and done, i would say things are looking on the up and up, and hopefully the system should work out this time around.

Heres some pics of the gear.

my old board is on the right, if anyone wants to see the high rez versions of these shots ill post up somewhere .

As you can see it came in an sli-d box, but it was really a wolf in sheeps clothing the silicon image 3114 chip proves it deserves the sli-dr rating.

no revision sticker though!

in the last shot you can see that my old board has the revision sticker on the bottom pci slot, this new one doesnt.

Also I just wanna say i know tensons are mounting for everyone and alot of us are ripping our hair out with frustration because we all know we are setting up our hardware properly, but it just wont work right.

be patient guys and try and put the negative energy towards finding the solution yourself, or switch back to the 3.3v jumper, live with 512mb ram for awhile and save yourself the stress until the cure is found.

Exactly the fact that u have already toasted 4 Sticks of VX which is validated for up to 3,5V VDimm should be an evidence that there is something wrong with this board.

But the DFI guys in here pretend as it would be nothing really serious.

As they already told us they have not find any difficulties with this motherboard and high vdimm so whats the matter?

User faults? Yes maybe but in the case of VX RAM there is something more we have to talk about.

And even if Oskar is the reason we have this high VDimm options out of the box without have to mod this mobo and loose our warranty a faulty implementation (if thats the case) is even more worse than having not this feature.

cool....what oskar had do is to check for voltage spike or others that can kill ram...that is what the mobo do...right...to ensure the voltage are not the killing factor...

now...high voltage ram dead....including me...the ram went dead can come other source...one thing for sure is how can we judge the ram are certified to operate 24/7 on high voltage....

remember DFI is the 1st to bring 4v board to the market that makes high voltage a real without mod...at the same time, utt spread like fire that are tight and high htt w voltage....u can't pinpoint anyone till now....i too would like to know too...

there are cases w dead ram that don't die on DFI but on boosters too....so?

everyone is piss over the dead ram issue but we had to be logical about it...we can't blame the board because it is the only high voltage board that are available for high voltage ram without mod or booster...