Cold Boot? Memory Died? [email protected] = who you need to contact

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to sets of memory

A) Kingsmax value ram 512x2 that is running @ 230mhz and 2.7v with the 3.3 rail

B) Muskin Redline 4000 512x2 that 'used' to run @ 250mhz 2-3-2 and 3.4v from the 5v rail.

One of the redlines modules is now dead. It won’t boot in any alone slot, alone or combined, at any voltage.

I haven’t read all 5 pages but I see no mention in the latest post about the original issue at hand.

This is far from an isolated issue as there are many more DFI users in other boards that had experienced the same problem.. (Dead memory modules when using the 5v rail past 3.2v)

Is there a fix in progress?

can someone confirm whether or not I am having the so-called 'cold boot' problem? I've read through some of the posts but haven't seen anything that is of any help to me yet.

Here is my situation:

I bought the majority of my comp parts about 2 months ago now. I had my computer up and running with all my parts but then sold my ram and my cpu because of the whole venice/san diego craze. Now, I bought my ram about a month after and preorder my CPU at the same time thinking that both would reach me around the same time. Well I ended up getting the OCZ 3200 VX 1gb ram a month ahead of my processor (just came today).

Problem is now that I have my processor, nothing seems to be working. Well not nothing. Everything powers ok but I get no POST and no beep's when I push the power button. The 4 Debug lights remain lit and do not change. I've tested a single stick of ram in each slot (with both of the OCZ VX 512mb sticks of ram that I have) and nothing. Removed the mobo from the case just in case it was shorting against something and still nothing. Now my mobo, cpu, and ram are just sitting on my desk doing nothing.

Now if I were to speculate, I would say that there was something wrong with my RAM or CPU. But since I dont have any other spare parts around, I cant test. The CPU is retail version and wouldnt seem to be a big problem considering it was in perfect condition and other ppl seem to be able to run this CPU fine with the BIOS that ships out with their mobo.

Or it could be the RAM, but then again, how often do you get shipped two bad modules of RAM? When I say bad, i mean they dont allow you to boot at all.

Or perhaps its the mobo? Possible, but it was working about 2 months ago when i had my 3000+ winnie and Corsair VS 1gb Dual Chan.

Any suggestions? If not I will probably have to test the RAM modules on my sis comp this weekend and use her ram in my comp to see if it is my RAM. I can't test the CPU because she is running on the Socket A mobos. Now if my RAM works fine, is it safe to say that there is something wrong with my mobo? and if so what is DFI's RMA policy? I bought my mobo 2 months ago and it doesnt seem to contain any warranty information and the shop I bought it from only allows a 1 month RMA period there.

btw, I've tried to run it on absolutely the bare minimal (ram, cpu, psu) just to see if the debug lights will go away, but nothing. All 4 are bright.

Specs:

CPU: 3700+ San Diego

RAM: 1GB Dual Chan OCZ VX 3200

Vid Card: BFG 6600 GT

HD: Samsung SATA 80 gb

PSU: OCZ 450 Modstream

Mobo: DFI LanParty Ultra-D NF4

well...the #1 rule is when you change a cpu, make sure you clear the cmos jumper long and hard (battery out, no power to board etc)

this is of utmost importance.

assuming you did that, remove everything from the board and only use a single stick of memory in the orange slot closest to the edge of the board etc (look in the critical sticky and non critical sticky...some good links to get you up and going)

removed the cmos battery + power from the mobo for 15 mins and still nothing. Have tried 2 seperate sticks of ram into orange slot closest to the edge of the board and still get the same results. Would this be a CPU issue since I cant get passed the 4 lights? All it says in the manual is that 4 lights means system startup and 3 means cpu test.

I am totally clueless as to what is going on. I've never encountered this before and am so pissed rite now cuz ive waited 2 months for this processor just to not be able to get it working with my setup.=

those are good links and all but the majority of information given on those links assume that I can get past POST. This isnt the first time I've built a system and therefore don't really have any probs of what plug goes where just need to find info regarding why I would get 4 debug lights all the time. If it were the RAM, wouldnt it give me two lights? and CPU 3 lights?

I'm getting all 4 and havent seen any body who has received this on the forum (as far as doing a search anyways).

btw.. what is this about connecting all 4 power connections to the mobo? I only see three unless you guys consider the 20pin atx connector and the extra 4 connector, two seperate connectors (although we should use the 24pin which I do)

Not yet, i still havent recieved the replacement board from oskar yet, and have not been able to send him my possibly "defective" board and ram for study.

As soon as i send it in ill let everyone know.