Cold Boot? Memory Died? [email protected] = who you need to contact

That doesnt point to a defective board, but then again im only at 2.8 vdimm.

the problems seem to be arising at 3.5 volt mark.

I only had my vdimm at 3.3 when my OCZ 4000gold started to crap out on me. I used the timings that OCZJohn posted over at bleedingedge.

I am going to try the 166 divider with both sticks and yellow slots to see how stable my system is or isn't.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only had my vdimm at 3.3 when my OCZ 4000gold started to crap out on me. I used the timings that OCZJohn posted over at bleedingedge.

I am going to try the 166 divider with both sticks and yellow slots to see how stable my system is or isn't.

Ok fine, i retract my intial post to say that the damage seems to be happening to people with the 5 volt jumper enabled.

if you were running 3.3v you had to have it enabled.

Perhaps not voltage is spiking, but current?

Off topic- isn't it time to get Oskar an avatar?

On topic- people shouldn't be blaming the board for memory failures at high voltages if the board isn't supplying more than what is set in the bios. It isn't the board- it's the voltage. That is whether you are getting it from the board or from some AA batteries wired together.

CJ

I switched back to the 4v jumper setting, updated bios to 510-2, yellow slots for both sticks and lowered the divider to 166.

System is stable currently without any crashes or memory beeps. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I went away for the holiday weekend but before leaving, I discovered something interesting. I'd had my system on for only an hour or so (Saturday morning), shut it down and then remembered I needed to send a last minute email. When I powered my system back up, it wouldn't boot into POST at all. No beeps. Nothing. Just sat there like a brick.

Tried hitting the reset button and got the same result. Simply would NOT boot. I got disgusted at that point and left. It had only been off for about 5 minutes and this is the first time since I built this system that I've tried this scenario. Every other time I'd shut it off for at the end of the night, go to bed, get up in the morning and go thru my morning "cold boot" ritual ---

1. power up

2. wait for system to lock up at the POST screen (where the drives are detected)

3. hit the reset button

4. system boots into Windoze XP and everything works fine

I got in very late last night but was awake enough to try and get it to boot. After powering it up, it just sat there like a brick again and wouldn't get into POST. I hit the reset button once, twice and finally it started to boot. Windoze came up fine, I checked email and then decided to try something.

After reading all the posts about voltages above 3.2 volts and fried ram, I thought I'd lower it just for the hell of it. Now it's back at 3.2 volts with the jumper still in the 4 volt position (which will be placed in it's default position when I get home from work this afternoon). I did this last night before going to bed. I rebooted it (warm) a few times, just to see what would happen, and each time it came right up.

This morning ---

1. powered the system up and was greated by a blank screen (no POST, no beeps)

2. hit the reset button and it came up into POST and then locked up (right after the hard drives were detected)

3. hit the reset button again and it rebooted and went right into Windoze.

I have no idea anymore what to expect from this thing, how many times I'll have to hit to reset button or whether it will boot or reboot at all. For the time being it appears to be running but it's getting to the point where I'm beginning to suspect that it won't be for much longer.

I had sent an email to RGone before leaving for the weekend, asking about a new beta BIOS that's been floating around. The response I got said basically that this new BIOS doesn't help and that if I have a native 24-pin power supply (which I do in the Thermaltake PurePower 680 watt model), I should be RMAing my motherboard to get a board that does NOT exhibit this problem (cold boot issues).

My question to RGone, Oskar and anyone else at DFI who will listen is this ---

How the hell am I suppose to get a board that does NOT exhibit this problem without testing it myself?

WHO am I suppose to RMA the board back to? NewEgg? How are THEY going to be able to test, hand-pick and then send me a board the WON'T exhibit these same problems? And what about my OCZ VX ram?

This is NOT just a simple thing for me to do, by the way. My system is water cooled and I have water blocks on both the CPU and the GPU. Each water block is on it's own independent water pump, radiator and reservoir. Ripping this thing apart to remove the motherboard is NOT something I enjoy doing in my spare time (which I have very little of at the moment).

I appreciate the fact that you're working to resolve these issues, whether they are hardware or firmware related. The fact of the matter is though that I don't even know what the condition or current state of my expensive OCZ ram is or if it is going to start degrading to the point where my system won't boot at all. I also read somewhere in this thread about the potential for the memory controller in my (also expensive) A64 3500+ being at risk?! Great. Just what I needed to hear.

You folks need to resolve these issues quickly. This is getting rediculous. The support you're providing is great. Just make the freekin' hardware do what it's SUPPOSE to do.

Later.

DFI NF4 Ultra-D, OCZ PC4000 VX, AMD A64 3500+ Winchester core.

OF, you raise some good questions. Looking forward to their response. Has anyone narrowed down which component, different verisons or whatever, may be responsible for all this?

One persons experice below I saw and will re-post here. Seems that there may be a quality control problem creeping up:

"At a texas Frye's store this weeken, 3 SLI-D's in stock so I nabbed them up they all had consecutive serial numbers 6574/6575/6576.

Here is what I found

6574 had a SLI-DR board in the box....not an SLI-D

6575 had a SLI-D as it should

6576 had a SLI-DR board in the box....not an SLI-D

6576 has boot problems big time, at default speeds....at first I thought it was a dud, it would not POST at first, fans spun, diag LED light up, and thats it. Clear CMOS did not help, pull battery and clear CMOS did not work.

I got a little pissed and just kept rapidly pressing the reset button after stopped the board came to full POST. I went into BIOS set it up rebooted went into windows for a few mins shutdown, gave it 5 to 10 mins then pressed the start button.....NO POST....

No big deal I could have not seated one or more components right?? So it out on the table top any way so I pull every thing CPU power mem ect ect, and reinstall every thing.......NO POST.....not untill i continuly press the reset button for a wile.....back in the box it goes.

6574 and 6575 seem to be fine so far"

RGone could you clarify please, does this mean all cold booters should RMA there mboards? Has any progress been made into 'cold boot issues' or RAM being killed?

(Patience.... yes, yes)

Could you also please answer the rest of Old_Farts questions...

Quoting the Old_Fart further up:

I had sent an email to RGone before leaving for the weekend, asking about a new beta BIOS that's been floating around. The response I got said basically that this new BIOS doesn't help and that if I have a native 24-pin power supply (which I do in the Thermaltake PurePower 680 watt model), I should be RMAing my motherboard to get a board that does NOT exhibit this problem (cold boot issues).

When you post thread titles like...

------

DFI NF4 the UTT/VX/BH5 KILLER READ IF YOU HAVE DFI

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=62804

------

or

make statements like...

------

DFI Admits 5Volt Vdimm Problem

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but this needs communicating with our users

Read and weep

------

only to follow it up with

------

Yes until DFI make a statement, you may say this is not official, however if this is going to save a few people the nightmare of RMAing their boards because of this problem until DFI realease a fix, then i hope i have helped.

------

Any claim you make as to being unbiased is completely shot and you show your true motivation.

Then you have the conspiracy theorist.

------

Yeah it does make you wonder what they are trying to hide here.......if they are trying to hide anything

------

or

------

That thread is not even close to what the other thread he closed was..

Another thread asking about the J17 jumper got closed immediately also, with a point to that same thread.

They are not the same, but I guess some folks only want 1 problem thread over there

As if this board only has 1 problem

Boy damage control is in full force over there...

EDIT: My guess is if ya start bringing up the DFI admitted stuff in that thread, it'll prolly get closed too.

Either that or you will be warned and your posts deleted.

------

This last post is especially funny coming from this particular user.

Now that the factual information is getting to the users this situation looks completely different that it first appeared.

The very first, very vocal posters have faded into the background along with their theories and claims.

I've been monitoring this situation very closely since the first posts. It appears that DFI has done everything right and in a timely fashion.

DFI has requested certain users to provide their hardware to DFI for testing. This is the only way to get to the root of the issue since there are so many variables involved. Good testing practices take time to work to their logical conclusion.

Let's see what the ultimate outcome is on this issue before passing judgement. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

Yes i totally agree

Lets not slag each other off.

Lets try and get to the bottom of this problem with the DFI boards.

Travis or Rob....have you heard any more news from Oskar.

Topboy

RGone could you clarify please, does this mean all cold booters should RMA there mboards? Has any progress been made into 'cold boot issues' or RAM being killed?

(Patience.... yes, yes)

Could you also please answer the rest of Old_Farts questions...

Quoting the Old_Fart further up:

what you should be doing is getting rid of that VX/UTT based memory as it seems to be the cause of the cold boot.

try any other low-voltage memory and see what you come up with.

AG

When you say drop the VX/UTT Ram and source some other low voltage ram what manufacturers do you mean to drop, which companies make VX ram.

And which companies are you saying we should go for.

Topboy

Well AG may just be right, at least in many of these cases. Didn't someone post earlier in this thread that the he tried using a booster and still had the cld boot issue?