Cold Boot? Memory Died? [email protected] = who you need to contact

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very very interesting read there Angry_Games, thanx

i'm running 3.7vdimm on my ocz gold el bh5/6 chips. so far been working ok. i think i'll be fine

honestly, 3.7Vdimm, 24/7 is too much, IMO. 3.7 is beyond winbond's specs of max rating for BH die (which is 3.6v). and thats max, not 24/7.

you know this for sure? you have the testing tools and equipment to verify this as fact? If so, please give us your results and we will gladly make the changes based on your facts of the motherboard killing periphials.

Unfortunally I don't have technical ways to show that, but the facts are:

PC1: 1 memory bank g.skill TCCD 440 @ 2.8 vdim -> sudden death when using normal aplications (web browser, winamp, etc). now using twinmos bh5 memory and a new bios the system is OK

PC2: Testing overclock for a memory review, high vcore (1.825, but normal tº), the system shutdown when posting. I reset bios setings, turn on the system and smoke came from the mobo.... Result?? dead CPU and MOBO, memory bank used on that test seems to be dead (i returned it and don't know what happened to it, but it seems to be dead)

Both systems had xfx 6600gt GPU and OCZ modstream 450 PSU....

pictures of the CPU :eek2:

http://www.madboxpc.cl/images/reviews/veni...o/DSCF0926p.JPG

http://www.madboxpc.cl/images/reviews/veni...to/DSCF0927.JPG

we obviously tested every part on another computers for checking malfunction....

salut

PD: sorry about my english :P

jote, making large all encompassing remarks based upon two instances of failure is not an ideal base to make a case and start an argument. strong cases are backed up not by one or two individual problems but by many. (meaning hundreds/thousands) this is especially the case when you are throwing 1.825 volts at your cpu and then blaming your motherboard for frying your chip. it's like running an acura tsx at 10000 rpms (past the red line), having the engine die, and blaming the manufacturer.

i spent 10+ months as an engineer in honda/acura's elect dept. auto quality area. they are the people that look at returned warranty parts/data, look for trends in failure, and then attempt to determine countermeasures to fix those problems. our analysis and response to failures for each circumstance was not based on "questionable data" and not based on so little material.

the fact of the matter is that most people that have the dfi nf3 and nf4 boards have very few problems. if you look at the equipment mad overclockers use around the world bets are they are on a dfi. i would also argue that they understand the risk you take when overclocking system components. throwing 1.8+ volts into a cpu and 3.7+ volts into memory is not your average "hey ho everything is happy" scenario and you should realize that these are not voltages that are not always deemed as safe. (the memory voltage scenario is not directed at you)

my last point to make about your tccd memory is just a personal note. as per my sig you can see i have three sticks of tccd memory. what you can't see is that one of my original sticks of tccd came more or less doa. did i blame dfi because it killed my ram by overvolting it upon bootup, no. why? because the data didn't back it up. now if i had bought twenty sticks of memory (from different places/batches) and ten out of the twenty came doa i would def be looking at different components for the problem. however even then the problem has to be investigated more clearly. component failures in pcs are very similar to component failures in the electrical systems of cars. not everything is black and white and you never jump to conclusions. (you can theorize all you want but posting accusations, backing up claims, and making a case is much different)

hopes are that you will take these things into consideration. in addition it would be beneficial to read the stickies here and make an avatar with the computer system that you have. it is a requirement and does help ag and rg to diagnose problems specific to each users system.

please do not take my response as an attack of any sort. i am merely trying to elaborate on what i believe to be undeniable proof.

last welcome to dfi-street. despite what your responses insinuate, the guys and mods here are great.

jot: again, when you can prove with facts that the board killed your components, and give us your testing details and all the info to back it up, our engineers will take it seriously and do everything possible to fix the situation. Until then, do not attempt to tell me or anyone else 'because it happened to me' that it is fact.

tristancarton: thank you. you said everything very well!

Guest burningrave101
you know this for sure? you have the testing tools and equipment to verify this as fact? If so, please give us your results and we will gladly make the changes based on your facts of the motherboard killing periphials.

Have you guys been testing actual boards that have been suggested to have the problem or are you testing brand new boards or your own boards? If your not testing the actual boards that exhibit the problem as well then your really not doing us any good because the issue may be secluded to a random number of boards.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=62804

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=63932

I just spoke to Frank Wong at DFI USA about the major problems people are getting with the 5Volt Vdimm jumper setting on these motherboards.

His response was very disturbing.

Mr Wong basically informed me that DFI R&D in Taiwan know about this issue and have been testing this jumper setting with many different major ram modules. He told me that the 5 volt setting is causing and i quote "Major Issues".

Mr Wong went on to say that DFI's R&D in Taiwan recommended to him that the 5 volt jumper be set to the default 3.3 volt setting on the board while the problem exsists.

Mr Wong also said "At this time they do not have a fix for this problem. Our R&D has also found that the Vdimm jumper when set to 5 volts can cause some of the motherboard chipsets to blow"

So there we have it straight from the horses mouth.

http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthrea...90270#post90270

Now how come Frank Wong would say something like that if this was true:

To conclude, there has been no evidence that the DFI NF4 motherboard has been responsible for any memory death. You can choose to not believe this if that is what you want to do. We have done extensive testing and found no evidence that the board kills memory modules though, and that is the truth, no matter how much some of you might want to flame and shout that you 'know for sure' that the board does kill memory.

I'm not trying to bash on DFI at all but i just want this issue tested more thoroughly and maybe some sort of resolve come from it because at the moment i'm about scared to even try switching over to the 5V jumper and running UTT/CH-5/BH-5 based memory although knowing me i probably will anyways.

DFI is working on it, specifically I know that a DFI Engineer, Oskar Wu is.

So far he has gotten one dimm to start to behave strangely, he also posts his other findings here. So there you go, DFI is working on it - we are waiting for an answer...

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...0958#post120958

Update :

New finding about stick 1 condition ... after 1 days of 3.2V(using 3.3V jump) , 250mhz 2-2-5-2 burn in ... Stick 1 now require 2.8V to work complete stable under SPD timing(3-3-8-3) ... It start to become worse than I first got it ...

how come Frank Wong would say something like that

Well I am going to tell you how such shett gets heard. Notice I did not say, 'said', so pay attention.

Back in the DFI NF2 days all was well nearly with their early rocket boards until AMD locked the processors and a few folks put mobile processors in some Abit NF7 boards. With all the other shortcomings of the NF7 and I know I had 3 of them myself, the NF7 would accept the Mobile processors and folks just had it in their mind that DFI "must" support the mobiles as well. That was bull shett from the word go but the people kept trying and kept responding that they had cold boot issues. Cold boot issues. Cold boot issues. Gawdamn cold boot issues and ME too with a mobile processor.

About this time I got a little closer to the folks in charge at DFI and they asked me what I knew and I confirmed that in fact there was a lot of problem with cold boot issues and the mobile processor. They believed me and asked had I the ability to pull in a couple of "known" cold booting boards and "would" I also submit my OWN board and MY memory? I said OK and arranged for such to happen.

At least three problematic boards went to Taiwan along with my memory for test and in about 9 days, I began to get the reports back from the engineering/QC in Taiwan and to put it mildly > I was knocked to the floor.

My first friends board was deemed dead. Shett you say! I knew he had just pulled it from his working computer. I said Ok maybe it was damaged in shipment and waited for the reports on the other 2 boards I had had personal experience with, that being my personal board and one other from the second close friend. Report from second friend's board comes to me and it is said that it will not POST. I said what in the h*ll that board used to work. Then about three days later I got the report on my board that it would not POST either and I am shocked and dismayed. My frikken board does not POST. I thought how in h*ll they kill my board and was hoping that they had not also killed my memory.

I moped and shuffled my feet around the house for about 20 minutes and then had to go out to run some errands and after about 20 mins drive of the 30 mins it would take to get to my destination>>> it hit me right between the eyes. Just like a brick thrown between my eyes. Engineers in Taiwan were saying one word to describe a situation and most of us that spoke pure english were using another word to reflect the same situation and that put us miles apart in our thinking.

I turned my car around and drove back to the house and picked up the phone and called Mr Frank Wong for DFI in CA and told him this. I said Frank sir, cold boot equals no POST. He says to me. Robert what are you saying? I said sir, cold boot problem that all us english speaking folks are talking about is the same as the no POST problem that engineering is seeing with the boards we sent to Taiwan for testing. Mr Wong says to me. "REALLY"? I said yessir, it is a problem of communication of the symptoms from what all us english speakers see as our problem and the words that the engineers use to describe what they see.

Mr Wong says will you be beside your phone for the next few hours as I may need to talk with you again? Remember at this time I was not even partially employed by DFI but I said yessir.

About 3 hours later the phone rang and Mr. Wong said to me that since I had relayed the words that now brought the two differing terminologies together; that the engineers understood what was happening. HELLO? Hallelujia. From the point of getting all languages onto the same page there was steady progress toward a bios that would in fact let 'unsupported' mobiles often work on the DFI NF2 boards. I learned from that a valuable lesson. I do not take every word as gospel since I myself do not speak 'mandarin' Chinese. Now over a year later, I make every effort to make myself FULLY understood by those that will translate my words into Chinese for the engineers. I write the same thing often from 3 different positions, so much so that many think I talk in circles. But I learned my lesson well when riding down the road, it came like a brick between the eyes that in Taiwan the cold boot = no POST.

Now that is how Mr. Wong was heard or understood to say what the questioner wanted to hear; even if it was not the real case in reality. And far past that mis-play on words, I personally know that people doing testing have not found any such blowing up of chipsets. Not even any spiking of voltages has been experienced with recording Oscopes to this day to my knowledge.

Now that is the answer to 'how' the words one may say come out all wrong in the hearers ears. And of course the hearer is well pleased to hear what he wanted to hear in the first place. Ah hah, a problem to explain my failures with over-volted parts.

As for high Vdimm stick useage and over-volting of memory on the DFI NF4 board; it has already been my suggestion to flash to the N4D510-2.bin and use slots 1 and 3 (yellow) until such time as testing by DFI engineering and the memory companies can truly determine what is the truth of the symptoms of some users. That is it and this time it is my thoughts in plain english and they mean exactly what they seem to say and no more nor any less.

RGone...