Sign in to follow this  
wcg2007

[RESOLVED]NTUNE TOOK OUT BOARD>> MOBO dead or something overlook

Hello all, first time poster here, so if I forgot something, lemme know.

I recently built myself a new system, my first one actually, and it seemed to be working fine for a bout a week, but then a few days ago, it went out on me. All I had running was WinAmp, so it definately wasnt anything overly stressful, and then it just shut off. It wasn't OC'd, everything had ben left at stock, except when I first started, I bumped the voltage on the ram up a smidge (for stabability), but definately nothing major.I didn't think much of it, then tried to turn it back on, and it wouldn't. That got me a tad worried, but I had finals the next day, so I couldn't really take alot of time to fiddle with it.

Now, after a few days, this is what I have done to try to fix it. First, i cleared the CMOS, and all that jazz. Nothing. Next, I unpluged everything, and redid all the connections, wires, etc. Still the same. Then, I took it all out of the case, and set it on an antistatic bag, unplugged all the nonnessentials, and tried to narrow down the problem. That didn't really help any, since it just gave me the same conclusion that I already had, bad Vid Card, Mobo, or PSU. I went through all the same general type of processes. I followed all the help guides I could find, like the reccomendations here, ocz forums and other such forums, but none of it helped.

Now, what I find interesting is that it seems that if I just keep hittin the Powerbutton, it will get to windows. I know thats kinda stupid and dangerous to do, but I wasn't thinking at the time. The thing is, it is not a no response when I turn it on, everything whirs up, turns on, beeps, but most of the time I don't even get to the windows logo, other times I can get in and stay in for maybe 2 hours, then it turns off, and other times, it will start for only a millasecond then cut back off. most of the time it hangs at 1 LED

I know this sounds kinda full of myself, but after all of this, I don't see much that I could have done wrong. I have followed all of the guides, not oc'd at all. I tried once, kinda halfheartedly, I did all the proper steps, and followed a guide, but if I recall correctly, couldnt get the HTT over 230. (If that has any bearing on this)

The only Thing I didn't do that might be causing this is that I didn't flash the bios, I was kinda wary of doing it cause I didn't want to screw anything up, and I figured why fix something that ain't broke. (It had been working fine)

I am almost to the point, after having already RMA'd this board once (karjan module damaged the board in shippinmg) of just paying the cash and getting a new board, cause right now after RMAing 4 products that were Broke on Arrival to newegg, I'm kinda tired of the whole process.

Sorry for the long winded post, and if I forgot anything, lemme know, and I'll add it.

If anyone can help me out, has any suggestions, or the like, they would be greatly appreciated, or, does this sound like RMA time for even some more stuff?

Cheers

Make sure the motherboard speaker is enabled.

Switch off the PSU.

Remove the battery.

Clear CMOS for at least five minutes then move the jumper back to normal.

Put the battery back in the holder.

Press and hold the Insert Key on the keyboard then apply power and hit the start button.

When you hear the beep, release the Insert Key and press the Delete Key.

This should get you into BIOS.

Load Optimized defaults then Save and Exit.

Go back into BIOS and make your settings for your hardware.

Post back your results.

thanx for the reponse. I won't be able to test it till I get Home from work, but I will let ya'll know what happens.

Thanx again

wcg2007

sorry for the bad news man but sounds like you got cold boot issues like other people here... there use'n one ram modual and try all the slots see if it helps....

I followed both above reccomendations, and I even got into windows once, then it shut down on me, again. then it was back to normal shutting down in the middle of a bios adjustment. I tried the same steps again, and now it gets stuck at 4 LEDS and doesn't even beep.

Please don't tell me this board took my shiny new CPU out. :(

I was willin to put up another 140 to get the comp just workin, but 400 maybe $500 is just something I can't do..

Thanx for the advice, and thanx in advance for any more.

^^bump

Any Ideas? I dunno if this is really "cold boot" because I cant even really get to the Bios that often with any combo of slots or ram...

:confused:

Use another rig and build a floppy for a BIOS flash.

The very next time it boots, flash the BIOS three times in a row. You might as well use the 510 series BIOS if you're gonna do it.

try flashing the bios like ExRoadie says

make sure nothing is overheating

pull the board from the case and boot it minimal with only cpu, single stick of ram, vid card

Thanx for the advice

hmm...

I Followed the above suggestions, did it all twice, inside and out of the case, still nothing. Now alot of the times it sticks at all 4 LEDs, so I havnt been able to flash, even though I tried all day..

do yall think I should just try a new bios chip from Tmod, if he is still sellin em?

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9886

Thanx again.

wcg2007

@ wcg2007, have you got an older plain jane stick of PC2100 or PC2700? If so put it in slot #2 (topmost Orange slot). Make sure power supply is unhooked from a/c power while doing all this. Also remove battery and jumper CMOS to the clear position. Leave it alone for 5 to 8 hours or overnite.

Next AM put back the battery. Jumper CMOS again to the normal running position. HOLD on I did nOt say hook up the power. Now Battery back and CMOS jumper reset to run position. PUT finger on insert KEY and hold the beech down. One thing before all this go to page 7 and see jumper to turn on the "board" beeper. Ok back to insert KEY down. Now turn on the power supply. Insert key still down. Turn on the board from the onboard push button. Insert key still down. When you hear a beep> enter the bios and crank the voltage up to 3.1Volts for that frikken Gold stuff that is likely new style BH-5 and needs some volts. If it gets this far you can flash a newer bios and you can keep the voltage up because new BH-5 craves frikken voltage most of the time.

Did not get here? RMA the board.

RGone...

any update wcg? I'm in a similar situation right now.. 4 red led's.. 3200 ocz gold vx.. except i never once got it to boot yet since it is brand new.. right now im waiting til the morn to restart from long cmos clear