Sign in to follow this  
HuddaDudda

DFI Ultra-D Motherboards suck!

OK I have had it! I been working on trying to get my system stable now for 2 weeks! For a day or so everything was running fine and it was doing everything I threw at it! Now for the past week I have had random crashes, with the most recent I cant get XP to load up. Now I have tried all kinds of settings and nothing seems to work. I have tried BIOS 310 and 510-3 with not difference at all. I cant believe these boards are this touchy! I mean I understand OC them too much but I swear one wrong setting sets mine into orbit! I am just fed up! The only thing it wants to do now is boot up in safe mode. Anytime I try in normal default settings it just boots then restarts! COME ON! Your at DEFAULT settings and still wont boot you dumb piece of you know what!

Someone save me!

Edit - To add even more salt to the wound my Maxtor 300GB SATA is not being recognized in the SATA connection on the DFI board either!

with pc5000 ram, ive heard that it will not run strong at default settings. from what i understand, you must adjust the bios to the ram specs, which means going through all those options for timings and volts.

its not DFI fault that your maxtor is not recognised. for some reason maxtor is the only hard disk out there that requires a driver, thats why they give you a cd with it. i have the same disk and it really frustrated me when i realised but still its a good disk.

Hudda,

Try searching out some users with San Diego's and OCZ PC5000. (Did you PM the OCZ guys here?) It's going to all boil down to getting the timings and voltages correct. You are correct that board is sensetive, but once you get the feel for what settings do what, you will feel alot more comfortable. This board takes alot more work than your average board, you can either give up or keep researching. Have a coffee, valium, or some amphetamines dude, things will work out ;)

m

Guest Booger

ok, let's get stuff straight 1st, i understand you are now using a maxtor that's not in your sig, as well as an 850xl? Not familiar with the vid card but maxtors have had issues w/these boards. Have you read the stickys regarding these issues and have you delt with them as recommended? Tried separating your mem sticks and testing them for stability individually? Where /what else have you tried in troubleshooting? Help us help you please, before calling the board/brand crap.

The easiest way to fix the Maxtor being undetected is to set your unused IDE/SATA channels to "None" instead of "Auto". You must do this for IDE and SATA both.

Sometimes when you change a BIOS setting the motherboard likes to change a couple of channels back to "Auto" so keep an eye on them.

OK Here is the deal - for now the SATA Maxtor Drive has been put on a seperate PCI SATA card and works fine. I also seemed to be able to get it to recognize the HD when setting the HD delay to 10. However that too was iffy and this is the least of my issues. I have no problem with going out and buying a new HDD and selling this one on ebay or someone else who might want it here. (PM ME!) :rolleyes:

I have PM'ed everyone I could find and emailed even Andy at OCZ with regards to the memory settings. But I dont understand even with the memory settings that WERE working (I saved the bios that were working ok) I was able to run all the benchmarks etc and everything appeared to work ok. After the latest system crash I can now only boot into safe mode! Any settings that were working are now not - nothing has changed! Thats whats fustrating me the most. The bios settings were working and the machine was up and running, it crashed and now I can only boot in safe mode. I was also having some issues before this crash that sometimes the system wouldnt let me boot all the way into XP and I would have to do a "boot to last system configuration that worked" and that would fix it. Then after a reboot normally it would boot XP fine. Then again after another reboot I couldnt get it to boot normally! Very strange. I have now spent a lot of time on this and it seems I have to do ANOTHER install of XP! I am tired of doing install after install of XP because this board is flakey and crashing causes data corruption. What do you guys recommend? How should the BIOS settings be prior to installation of XP? Default? Andy from OCZ even gave me some memory settings for this memory and they seem not to work either as he instructed with bios 510-3.

I am really fustrated and this board has been the most difficult board I have EVER used. I have done about a dozen computer builds or more for myself, family and friends. If XP was totally corrupt I wouldnt think I could boot into safe mode.

Edit - So since I can only boot in safe mode now what should I do? Change the BIOS settings to default and reinstall XP?

I just got this motherboard and have had no problems going on week 1 and its running hardcore. Everything has gone great with this board, so maybe its not the board thats giving you the problems?

HuddaDudda....I'm not ready to make the pronouncement that you have (ie this board sucks), but I will agree that it's unreasonably touchy and has questionable manufacturing properties (research the cold boot issue and misapplied voltages).

It's the only board on the market that supports VX voltage levels (hardly unplanned), but many people (most?) are having tremendous difficulties getting them to play nice together. I wish I had seen some of these warning before buying.

My board still won't run my PC4200 at stock clock speeds despite conservative settings, high voltage, and direct cooling. I'm only now stable underclocked by 8Mhz FSB. I bought all the recommended parts, paid the extra cash, studied all the stickies and printed out all the BIOS settings....and it basically got me squat.

Good luck with you and yours...hope your rig ends up better off than mine.

Anytime I try in normal default settings it just boots then restarts!

There is NO current high-end motherboard that will boot at default or "stock" settings, especially not when paired with the type of hardware you are running. This has nothing to do with the board itself, it is a factor of the hardware that is put in the system. If the correct settings (especially voltage) are not used, there is no chance that the system will work correctly. I'd suggest doing some research on your RAM (clock, latency, voltage, etc.), since RAM is the #1 factor when determining overall system stability.

If XP was totally corrupt I wouldnt think I could boot into safe mode.

Once Windows has become corrupt, it doesn't matter what settings you try after that, it won't change the fact that it was already corrupt. Booting into safe mode says very little about system stability or data integrity of Windows.

I would suggest setting up your hardware correctly, running some non-windows based stability tests (the board has memtest86 built in, no other board does). Another thing you could try, is use your current, broken XP installation and install some windows-based stability tests to check for memory and CPU errors once you've set the correct settings in the BIOS.

There is no reason to bash a board or company because your hardware isnt set up correctly or because the board has too many options. I have seen many threads like this, people blame the board for problems, yet it is not the board causing them. If you didn't want to be overwhelmed with memory options, then this was not the board to buy. If you had checked any decent reviews of this board, you should have noticed that this board has WAY more options than any board ever has, if you didnt want to deal with the complications, you could have chosen a board that was easier to set up. Pre-purchase research is extremely important to help avoid these types of situations.

HuddaDudda....I'm not ready to make the pronouncement that you have (ie this board sucks), but I will agree that it's unreasonably touchy and has questionable manufacturing properties (research the cold boot issue and misapplied voltages).

It's the only board on the market that supports VX voltage levels (hardly unplanned), but many people (most?) are having tremendous difficulties getting them to play nice together. I wish I had seen some of these warning before buying.

My board still won't run my PC4200 at stock clock speeds despite conservative settings, high voltage, and direct cooling. I'm only now stable underclocked by 8Mhz FSB. I bought all the recommended parts, paid the extra cash, studied all the stickies and printed out all the BIOS settings....and it basically got me squat.

Good luck with you and yours...hope your rig ends up better off than mine.

Llathos: have you tried using another bio? (5/10?) or changing ur mem slots (from yellow to orange or the other way around). im just wondering.

SADtherobot - You are WAY off base. I am not a noob and if you would have read I have done many computer builds. If you would have continued to read more you will see XP was installed and was working. I ran all types of benchmarking and stability tests. Prine95 ran for 12 hours stable, 3DMark 01,04,05 all ran overnight without issues. Thats why I am so confused why this board is such a mess. After running dozens of tests and the board running so well why now all of a sudden after a reboot does it not want to work. Bringing it back down to conservitive settings should be more then enough to get this board to boot.

I did do a ton of research just like the other guy whom posted but he is also having problems and I am too. This board is touchy. I am not actually here to bash the board just share my fustrations and seek some help/guidence.