SLI-DR + Venice Pre-purchase advice

Hey everyone really nice board you've got here been reading up on various things and I can't wait to join in with the OC'ing but until then....

I've decided to take the plunge into 64bit and pci-e SLI etc and i'm about to order the sli-dr and a AMD64 (Venice) 3500+

Whlie doing research I have read that supposedly the mobo doesn't support/recognise the venice straight out of the box - yet others claim it does.

I'm guessing it depends on the BIOS version its shipped with - the online retailer did not know which version their stock has.

if its an old bios - is there a way to flash the bios without a CPU? Just thought i'd check this out before ordering

thanks for your help :)

Clueless,

The venice chip DOES work on this board. I have it. DO YOUR HOMEWORK.

get a good PSU, the right memory etc...

However, if you are a novice and just want to be instantly up and running, I would not get the venice chip. There is a good chance that this will NOT plug and play for you.

If you do know what you are doing and can take the time to search through this forum then you CAN find the answers how to make it work.

My case scenerio:

I not a complete noob (I have built machines before). I bought the ut nf4 sli-dr, a venice 3500+, OCZ memory..and everything that researching on this board has told me to buy and I am STILL not running with two sticks of Ram. I am sure that I will get it sorted out, but I had to learn A LOT more than I normally had to learn regarding timings, voltages and the way ram works to even have a clue on how to fix it.

Just my personal experience, but I am sure there are others with Venice chips Who can tell you otherwise.

Kurtz, what is the issue with running 2 sticks of RAM? I have just started reading this forum so I have alot more homework to do but I am bit worried now as I am in the middle of building my PC with a Venice 3200. I have the same RAM as you and I am going to be mightly pissed off if I can't use both sticks just because of teething problems with the DFI and Venice.

Kurtz, what is the issue with running 2 sticks of RAM? I have just started reading this forum so I have alot more homework to do but I am bit worried now as I am in the middle of building my PC with a Venice 3200. I have the same RAM as you and I am going to be mightly pissed off if I can't use both sticks just because of teething problems with the DFI and Venice.

There is no issue.. Its just sometimes it takes some tinkering with timings and voltages to get it running stable... Loading defaults doesnt always set the correct things since there is so many different brands and types of ram..

Like I said, I am just getting this sorted out, so I can't tell you what it is specifially. Thankfully there are people like Thunda on this board to get us through it all. I am confident that my ram WILL work. I just have to roll up my sleeves a bit more :D

It may work for you right from the get-go, I just wanted to let you know my issue becuase there are not a lot of Venice users responding. Lots of Sandy peeps having probs too tho.

Long story short: make sure you read through these boards very carefully before you buy anything, especially PSU.

You can flash and get stable quickly, lots of good info on these boards...just read it all first.

There is no issue.. Its just sometimes it takes some tinkering with timings and voltages to get it running stable... Loading defaults doesnt always set the correct things since there is so many different brands and types of ram..

Ok thanks bud, guess I will just have to tinker and hope for the best :)

Ok thanks bud, guess I will just have to tinker and hope for the best :)

Just be PATIENT and you will be fine.. thats one of the most common things people do wrong.. Panicing just makes things get more messed up because concentration goes out the window ..lol..

GL..

Just be PATIENT and you will be fine.. thats one of the most common things people do wrong.. Panicing just makes things get more messed up because concentration goes out the window ..lol..

GL..

I'll just get drunk before I get started, that usually works out quite well for me :D