Heatspreaders and RAM sinks

I posted this in another thread but since I don't want to hijack Ill post a thread for it.

Im concidering putting ramSinks on my heatspreaders the question is if that would help anything?

Reason - when Im overclocking my FSB madly (305 MHz) my RAM gets burning hot. I allready have good air rotation over the Sticks so will the Zalman Ramsinks help me?

I think that if you're wanting to add ramsinks, then the best way would be to take the heat spreaders off, clean up each ram chip, and put a ram sink on each ram chip. That way the heat will be transfered through just one layer of themal tape. I don't think you'll get much more heat transfer by adding the ramsinks on top of the heat spreaders.

Have you taken a look at this article: http://www.bigbruin.com/reviews05/nf4therm...ndex.php?file=2

Toward the bottom of the page the ram they have running at 300 MHz (DDR600) is not that hot (topping out at 38.3°C). Of course they do have the XP120 blowing down over the ram.

I think that if you're wanting to add ramsinks, then the best way would be to take the heat spreaders off, clean up each ram chip, and put a ram sink on each ram chip. That way the heat will be transfered through just one layer of themal tape. I don't think you'll get much more heat transfer by adding the ramsinks on top of the heat spreaders..

Yupper.. that would be the best way..

Tbh.. Frallen.. I dont think it would make a difference .. Back when I had a Infinity and was running bh5 .. I took my spreaders off and put ram sinks on them.. It didnt gain me jack and not to long after that one stick died...lol..

I would just leave them and put a fan on it..

If it makes you feel more comfortable I run 3.2vdimm through my TCCD.. because thats what it needs to prime more then 2-3 hours @ 280x10.. I have two 80mm ( 39cfm ) fans blowing on them and im not worried..

;)

Guest burningrave101

You shouldn't need over 2.8 or 2.9V with most TCCD memory like OCZ PC3200 Platinum Rev2. As long as your not getting errors from it getting hot then i wouldn't worry about it. RAM carries a lifetime warranty anyways :P.

Guest burningrave101
Heatspreader are not goot but how can i remove it wihtout any damage?

You do realize that removing them will void your lifetime warranty right?

You do realize that removing them will void your lifetime warranty right?

It sure will.. Thats why I dont bother anymore.. The only type of ram that I'd "think" of doing that to is voltage loving ram that im pushing alot of voltage to and loosing the warranty anyways..

Placing ramsink on top of your heatspreaders would draw heat further away from the actual memory chips. I just tried this on my own personal set up using temperature probes placed touching the sides of the ram chips. Temp with spreaders and airflow only under prime95 is 45-46 degrees Celsius. With ramsinks (4 per side/ 8 total per stick) applied to spreaders with airflow under prime95 temps are at a consistant 40 degrees Celsius! Thats 5-6 degrees cooler with the ramsink applied. Depending on your Vdimm and FSB results may vary! :D