Sign in to follow this  
sauron18

Is raid 0 usefull?

I don't know if i need raid 0 in my new rig, is really usefull in the loading times of the games and do a gamer like my for example need that.

I use my pc to listening music, games, movies and when is needed for homework.

I download anime, programs, games and music. I do not moves large files in my pc or i do not work with large files, so i like to know if is usefull for me.

Post your recomendation

P.S im thinking of buying 2 hitachi 80gb Sata II or one 160gb Sata II 30 bucks cheaper than buying 2 80gb.

You will probably notice load time drops, but I'm not comfortable enough with the increased probability of data loss to ever run RAID 0. I'm more of a RAID 1 guy, so opposite end of the spectrum...but I'm too lazy to do either.

I've had problems with RAID 0 and data loss. Firstly, when I had a drive die on the array, and it took about 25% of the data with it. Luckily the drive died a slow death so I could recover most of the data, but if a drive ever dies completely then say goodbye to twice as much data as you would have stored on those drives. Also since it only takes 1 of 2 drives to die to lose all the data, you've also potentially halved your data's lifespan. Or even less if you have more than 2 drives in the array.

The other issue I've had is transporting the array to another PC. You need to have the same controller or else you'll have to back up the data and re-create the array on the new PC. Also you have to physically move both drives to move one lot of data across to another PC. It's too much of a headache for me.

I did RAID 0 again as an experiment on my spare PC recently, but had the second problem I described happen (ie, array turned up blank in Windows). I was experimenting with moving the array between PC's and the data wasn't critical (recovered with an undelete program anyway). But I learned my lesson about moving drives between different brand of RAID controllers, ie, don't do it :)

I would only use RAID 0 in non-critical systems, ie, cheapass. Use mirroring as well as striping if you want speed and reliability. In a side-note, the RAID 0 array I had (80gb 7200rpm WD drives about a year old) got slightly less in hdtach as my new single 7200.8 drive. I've now got 2 7200.8 drives, but not RAID'd. They're fast enough for me as they are.

I've been running a RAID0 about 4 years....dog-gone RGone made me do it!

I used to use onboard RAID controllers. Moving from one board to another; almost always resulting in a different controllers means windows reload is a must.

I have found using an add-on RAID card eliminated that, as long as I keep my OS clean of spyware, defrag regular and purge unneeded files, such as temps.

As far as back-ups are concerned....once a week I connect a spare drive to a slave IDE channel, back-up with Ghost 7. I've restored several times with great results.

As far as seeing a difference in performance, that will depend on what your computer is used for....large graphics files, absolutely, for certain, games, normally only at load time, but for everything else the difference in rather minimal, IMHO.

I've had 3 drives in my system in the past. A standard drive for OS partition and a pair in RAID0 for games. Anything important goes on the standard drive. Expendable stuff goes in the RAID. I dont care if i loose game installs or divx's. But the speed is great.