Sign in to follow this  
Zorkwiz

NF4 SLI-DR Chipset Temp question

i wonder if you could put some neoprene(SP) around the chipset to help stablize the HS.

i havent taken the chipset HS off yet to inspect, as my temps normally float around the 40 to 50C area. but i wouldnt mind helping stable that area as that chipset HS is kinda a bad design and a bad area

Guest scaramonga

Have mine now sitting on core (with AS5) after removing the outer foam strip........it moves if you touch it......but is OK left alone.....temps much better! :)

Yep, same here as scaramonga. Just took mine all apart, and cleaned the thermal pad, and outer foam ring off as well as the remains of the thermal pad off the chipset the and stuck 'er on there with AS5. I ordered a new DFI hsf last week so I used it. Temps averaging 44 idle, and 50 under load. (Running chipset voltage at 1.64 to help a little with 3dgames and gpu's). About six degrees better on both. Plus also used some gorilla velcro and attached a 80mm sunon fan right by the edge of the mobo to my case pointing directly at the chipset fan. Seems to help. Admittedly I was hesitant about taking off the outer foam ring as I couldnt remember reading anything here about that being safe to do or not. Was waiting for the smoke to arise at first boot after I finished it, but itsa fine.

They actually recommend you to not take that outer ring off, just the inside thermal pad if anything. It's supposed to help level out the fan or something, IIRC.