Karajan Audio Component quality?

I'm planning on puting together a new system with an Ultra-d, and I have a question about sound quality. Would I notice any difference between the Karajan Audio Module and the Sound Blaster Live! pci card that I have in my current system? Basically, which is better? I only plan on using it for gaming, music, and videos. Thanks in advance.

Seems fine to me. I have it hooked up to a pretty decent Klipsch computer speaker system and it's at least as good as my old SB Live! ... plus it's 7.1 which my old card was not, and it has digital output in case you want to hook it up to a receiver. I chose not to buy a sound card because of it. For pretty much any task you'd care to do, it'll suit you just fine.

-Nate

huge debate over this, I have the klipsch 5.1 as well and I like it (my previous was a SB Live PCI card)

some think its junk

search the forum, there was a really long thread on this a while ago

Yes, tons of debate. All I can say is it works as well or better than my old Creative SB Live! card on the games and apps I care about. Since I'm running an Altec-Lansing 2.1 speaker setup, it really doesn't pay for me to upgrade the whole sound system.

In the reviews I've read and according to my ears and speakers...

The ALC 850 chip on the Karajan module is much better than a SB Live card.

The SB Audigy 2zs is much better than the ALC 850 chip.

I was disappointed by it at first. It sounded pretty bad compared to the Soundstorm audio on my last system. After a while I got used to it. I would like to get a soundcard but I don't think its really worth the $100 since it isn't that bad. I know I could get something for less than $100 but the soundcard I want costs that much and that would be the one I would end up getting.

The audigy 2zs are amazing...but unless you have hooked up some high end headphones or speakers, the onboard sound will do just fine.

i really notice the difference when listening to cd's or .wav files, but no difference for compressed audio (mp3, ogg, etc).

The onboard audio is descent enough for most users, but is significantly inferior to most all current dedicated cards like: Audigy 2ZS, M-Audio 7.1 Revolution ect...... The speaker set up you are using will determine if a sound card purchase is necessary. IE distortion levels will be more prominant in low wattage powered sub/ surround systems. The Karajan module does have the unique feature of being isolated from the motherboard with the supplied plastic bracket. Thereby decreasing the translation of current interference (audible distortion) into the audio output stream. Not to mention the ALC-850 7.1 decoding and the SPDIF out. So as far as onboard audio is concerned the Karajan is very good!

my onboard decided to stop- working. windows couldnt find any playback devices. so i installed my sb live with spdif in /out board and it gives much cleaner and distortion free sound. yesterday my karajan decided to work again but i wont be using that now cos i dont kbnow when it will switch off again. sblive give a better sound in my opinion