Sign in to follow this  
dysaio

Memory question - specs & details inside

first, I really appreciate any help and answers to my questions. I'm trying to put together parts for my first computer build, and have been doing a lot of reading. I've read through most of the stickys around here, as well as a bunch of other memory guides, but I haven't been able to find answers to the following questions.

Running on:

DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D MB (with whatever bios is best, I haven't bought anything yet)

A64 San Diego core, 3700+ 1mb cache

Memory: OCZ VX gold edition (TCCD I believe, correct me if I'm wrong)... first question, pc3200 or pc4000? Am I wrong in thinking that the 4000 will have better stability for CPU OC's when the ram is clocked at the same speed as the 3200? edit- just looked at prices, definitely going with the 3200, hah.

second question: any problems with getting 4 sticks of it? I know the winnie and newcastle cores had memory controller issues (droped speedy down to DDR333), but this has apparently been fixed in the San Diego. Will there be any OCing issues with having 4 sticks instead of just 2?

third, and final!, question: since I'll be shoving a lot of voltage into these (OCZ claims they can handle up to 3.5) I assume I should have some kind of extra cooling for them? They'll be in a lian-li pc-v1200 case (which apparently has excellent air flow) and I'll probably have a Zalman CNPS7000b-al/cu HSF right next to them on top of the CPU (don't know if that'll help 'em at all, especially since I'm considering 4...) but I'm also considering an XP-90 w/56cfm panaflo, so that shouldn't be taken into consideration. Bottom line, I suppose, is will they need extra cooling (for either 2 sticks or 4) at 3.2+ volts, and if so, what is a good solution?

Again, thanks a ton for any help. I'm really looking forward to putting my first PC together; don't know how I'd do it without forums like this.

You will need extra cooling, and VX is VX, not TCCD. ;)

Venice should be able to run 4 sticks at DDR400, but your o/c will probably be lower with 4 sticks than it would be with 2.

Okay, well, my tentative plan is:

Lian-li pc-v1000b plus case (or the pc-v1200, dunno if I need the extra 4" or not)

Seasonic S12-500W PSU

DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D

AMD 64 3700+ San Diego core w/Thermalright XP-90 heatsink & Panaflo 92mm fan

Sapphire x800xl 256meg PCI-E

NEC-ND 3520A CD/DVD/CDRW/DVDRW drive

Hitachi 160gb 7k250 SATA II w/NCQ HDD

and then the ram... which, I suppose, will be the OCZ VX gold edition, pc3200... but, um, well... I'm confident in being able to install everything listed, but I'm not too sure about an extra fan for the ram. Where would it go? I'm not going to try cutting apart my case on my first build... I'm not that confident. If that's what I'd have to do, then I spose I'll just go with some cheaper ram that runs on a lower voltage and not OC as much.

Thanks for any help/comments, I really appreciate it.

Guest Archangel

Hi All!

I asked a wuestion similiar to Dysaio and didn't really get the answer I was looking for. Feel free to ahve a look over here:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...6312#post116312

Still, I was wondering if RGone or Angry could give us a little insight into this matter. I have reaad in other forums of some people getting 4 DIMMS to run even though others couldn't. Since Dysaio intends on using a single core CPU when I was planning on upgrading to a dual core, I think the advice in my thread is a better choice since I doubt dual cores will actually benefit from VX PC4000 but I was willing to give it a try as long as I know I can get 4 DIMMS to work without some major grief, even if the OC isn't that much cause the regular timings on it at DDR400 is still better than the timings of a 1GB stick.