Sign in to follow this  
Snaxo

3 Leds on boot - help!

OK.

Since I upgraded my OCZ Plat PC3200 rev 1.1 to Rev 2, I've been having a few problems. I thought I'd overcome them with the kind help of sharp:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...ight=ocz+pc3200

...and memtest was running for 12 hrs error free.

However, I have been getting too many crashed in World of Warcraft for all to be ok.

Earlier I decided to run Prime95 and after a while it detected a hw fault.

So I thought I'd go into the bios and loosen the memory timings a bit further (even though they were already less than spec at 2-3-3-7 at this point).

I changed them to 2.5-4-4-7.

Now the PC won't boot at all Grrr. This has NEVER happened before. Basically I get 3 LEDs and one that flashes a couple of times. All fans etc working - but no POST obviously.

I've done a quick clear CMOS and a Safe Boot but to no effect. I'm going to leave the CMOS clear overnight just in case that helps (should I remove the battery) but in the meantime wondered if anyone had some advice.

The Only thing I can think to do now is remove the Zalman (grr) and swap back in my old memory sticks to see if that helps.

Any help gratefully appreciated. Very frustrated. I'm dying to get a stable PC once and for all.

Damian

FYI...following clearing CMOS (short clear) I have tried with both one stick of Ram in slot 2 and one in slot 4 (I can remove enough so as not making contact even if I cant remove completely cos of Zalman) - still no joy.

How am I going to get this thing to boot !!

Damian

Mucker - thanks a bunch that worked a treat.

However, now I'm REALLY confused and would appreciate anyone's thoughts.

After getting the machine to boot, and entering the bios, I loaded optimised defaults. This has never allowed my machine to boot in the past (admittedly that was with 01/25 bios and OCZ rev 1.1 ram) but I thought I'd see if it would boot through to win xp now.

It did - no problem.

So then I decided to run Prime95 again. With my previous bios settings (no overclocking and running RAM at 2-3-3-7 rather than optimum 2-2-25) Prime95 detected a HW fault within 30 minutes.

With the current config (i.e. DFI optimised defaults) it has been running for 3hrs + so far - no errors at all. I'm tempted to leave them though I did want to aim for a slight overclock (not trying to get max like most of you guys) - say 220FSB with either 2-2-2-5 or if that is too tight 2-3-3-7. Now I really am new to overclocking and unfortuntely I simply don't have the time to go to the depths many of you do (and respect to you) but would I be wrong in thinking that with my kit the slight level of overclock I am aiming for should be fairly easy (or am I being naeive!).

And also, would I be right to presume that if Prime95 runs ok now - my kit must be ok (i.e. not faulty) even though with previous bios settings it 'detected a Hardware Fault'.

As always, thanks in advance for anyone's help. When time for investigation is a little limited - it makes forums like these all the more valuable. Even though I've had frustrations with this board, that has helped me (in conjuction with you helpful people) to learn an awful lot.

Damian

If Ure prime stable 8hrs+ Ure stable...

LoL

Ure system should be able to take a 220 at same settings.

I U run into problems with 2-3-3-7 goto 2-3-3-8 or even 2.5-4-4-10 to try it out. Then do the Tref dance. Btw what voltage are U on% Up the CPU special to 110% and the mem to 2.7V

Thanks Frallan. I'll leave prime for even longer then to make certain. Presume if it runs stable, whatever the bios settings, this means that the HW is basically OK? Stupid question maybe but I'm not confident about much at the moment.

You have a very similar spec to me it seems - so you are a valuable source of comparison info - thanks again for replying.

CPU voltage now is 1.36v (previosuly 1.52). Dram V is 2.6 v (prev 2.8v). These are the 'optimised defaults' - the numbers in brackets were part of the bios settings (based on RGONE's sticky) that I had been running for some time.

What is 'the Tref dance' !!!?!

Damian