Sign in to follow this  
Guest burningrave101_merged

Fan headers on DFI Ultra-D

Guest burningrave101

How much wattage draw is recommended on the fan headers? Is it ok to hook up higher power fans like a high speed 92mm Panaflo and 120mm case fans? I have a high speed 92mm Panaflo hooked up to the CPU fan header and a 120mm Lian-Li fan hooked up to another header. Is there any cause for concern or how much power draw can these little fan headers handle? I definitely know better then to try hooking up a Vantec Tornado on one :P.

a friend of mine got a 120mm fan hooked and it si working fine

and for easier help put ur system specs. in ur sig

and for more info tell us the details fo ur PSU cause the only concern here is ur psu and its ability to handle the mobo and the other h/w

Guest burningrave101

The only real question is how much power draw a fan header can handle. I know people have blown headers by connecting a vantec tornado up to them. I'm just curious what the recommended draw is on each header. The power supply doesn't really have much to do with how much the header can handle but just so you know i'm currently running an Antec NeoPower 480w. I did have an OCZ PowerStream 520w but wanted something modular and something that would fit in my Lian-Li.

I haven't heard an official statement from DFI, but 5W total on all headers seems safe enough. Every case of blown headers I've read about here involved more than 10W.

Guest burningrave101
I haven't heard an official statement from DFI, but 5W total on all headers seems safe enough. Every case of blown headers I've read about here involved more than 10W.

5W total? Wouldn't it be more sensible to say 5W per header? Most fans will pull close to 2W and i believe a high speed 92mm Panaflo pulls close to 3W.

I'm sure there is a per header limit that is lower than the total maximum wattage. You're right that most low/med speed fans will draw 2-3W, and you got to figure DFI knows a lot of people are going to plug the stock AMD HSF into the CPU fan header, so it's got to be good for at least 3W there. I've also run a 3W 120mm case fan in addition to the stock HSF off the mobo at the same time, so I know it's good for at least 6W total, but since then I've gone to using Molex for powering the fans and only use the mobo fan headers for RPM monitoring.

Guest burningrave101
I'm sure there is a per header limit that is lower than the total maximum wattage. You're right that most low/med speed fans will draw 2-3W, and you got to figure DFI knows a lot of people are going to plug the stock AMD HSF into the CPU fan header, so it's got to be good for at least 3W there. I've also run a 3W 120mm case fan in addition to the stock HSF off the mobo at the same time, so I know it's good for at least 6W total, but since then I've gone to using Molex for powering the fans and only use the mobo fan headers for RPM monitoring.

I like using the fan headers on the motherboard because you can set the fan to speed up or slow down according to reported temps. Its nice to only have the CPU fan running at full speed when it gets really hot and barely running at all when its below a certain temp.

I'm just wondering if the fans drawing voltage from the motherboard causes any ill effects and what the maximum watts should be for the fan headers.