Sign in to follow this  
jippen

second pci slot at x16 in single vga mode?

ok thanks for the help.

just 1 question.

How can i see/test if the slot is x2 or x8 or x16 mode ?

is there a program for or can you see it in the bios ?

Strange thing. 2 times 8x? On the normal Ultra? Simply can't believe that. A friend of mine just told me that there's a jumper setting for 16x on the lower slot, but 2 x 8x... nope, I can't believe that ;)

Many guys over here tried it out and got 2x on the lower slot without doing anything. Only with a mod they got it to work 8x.

ok thanks for the help.

just 1 question.

How can i see/test if the slot is x2 or x8 or x16 mode ?

is there a program for or can you see it in the bios ?

If you have an nVidia GPU card, you can go to Display Properties->Settings->Advanced->GeForce tab, and it will show you the PCI Express Bus speed (and lots of other info about your system). I don't know about ATI.

Hello,

nF4 ultra can run bottom PCIe slot at x8 if you move the SLi jumpers.

No SLi mod to the chipset required.

:)

To those that still think the 2nd slot = "Bad4u"...

Current PCI-E cards can NOT max out a 16x channel and so running it in the first slot at 16x or in the second slot at 8x makes no difference. Running 3dMark0x before and after moving jumpers and/or slots will result in little variance. At most, the difference you might see will be within the +- 200 or so points fluctuation some users see when running single runs one after another in the same slot.

In the future when cards can make use of the extra bandwidth afforded by 16x only then will you see a performance hit if you was to put the same card in the 2nd slot.

So in summary for now 1st slot and 2nd slot (with jumpers moved) is no major performance loss, so get over it... please :)

Results of my 3DMark05 tests:

HIS X800XL in the first PCI-E slot (16X) gave a 3DMark05 score of 4765

When moved to the lower slot (2X), 3DMark05 scored 4543.

Leaving the card in the lower slot, but moving the SLI jumpers to change the lower slot to 8X gave a 3DMark05 score of 4746

Is there anyone in this forum that is running both pci express cards at x8 speed without the sli modding on the board. This topic was discussed in detail earlier in the year and was concluded that you cannot run two x8 lanes just by changing the sli jumpers. One card will simply not be recognised. In the bios you will see in genie:

NC/NC/x8/x1 when under sli mode.

Both cards would only operated under non-sli mode and one card will run in x16 mode and the other in x2 mode.

@crazybone: That is JUST what I meant! Simply putting the card to the second slot gives 2x speed, while jumpering to SLI gives 8x speed.

My results where the same, the exact same performance running 8x like 16x.

But: A friend of mine told me there was a jumper trick to get the lower slot working 16x? Maybe any DFI authority to tell us how? :D

I left my jumpers in the default position an moved the card. The slots shows up as 16x and performance is the same. If you do a search a few other people have also reported this.

Well as for the information I have, yes. But as some people here made other experiences, I don't really get it.

I knew two things from "over here". With the Ultra, you had the option 1st slot 16x or 2nd slot 2x. Nothing else. With SLI-mod or SLI you had the options of the ultra or 8x for both 1st and 2nd slot.

But now? Some report 8x with the Ultra on 2nd slot or even 16x on the 2nd slot with some tricks.