Sign in to follow this  
ricey

Big thankyou to AG, rGone, ExRoadie, & DFI-Street

Hi all,

I had to put the system build on hold for 3 weeks due to family dramas, but everything sorted itself out, so I got down to business yesterday.

I carefully followed all your advice, pressed the power button and booted up. Installed Windows XP Pro with SP2, installed my video card drivers, installed the dfi utilities and drivers, installed my software, and everything is running perfecto :D

Easiest build I've ever done :D

Now that it is stable, I just have to run Memtest a few times, and then I'll be turning up the dial :nod:

Thanks guys!

ricey :)

:nod:

Good stuff... Thats the kind of posts that we need from time to time to show all the negative ppl...

Yeah, I reckon a lot of the newer members do come off a bit negative, but I think it's the voice of frustration seeking outlet.

I think the recent post by Angry and RG were excellent wake-up calls to all the newer ppl, who bothered to actually read it.

I posted a part of it on Whirlpool Forums in Australia (quoting appropriately), because the DFI mobos are being bought by some very young and inexperienced users, and I feel it better to be aware of the challenge ahead, if you choose the DFI path.

This was MY first ever build, and the learning curve has been way steep, but I have finally hit both memtest and prime stability :

http://home.exetel.com.au/3dmark05.1/Overc...database%20pic1

I may post it on the database, but I've only had these sticks a week, so might play a bit more, and post if I can get a bit higher.

But I also want to thank all you guys for the bits of information that I've managed to piece together a basic understanding of what I'm doing now, and I'm digging it :nod:

This thread is a classic example of what will work probably 99% of the time day in and day out. And here is the commonality of the whys.

@ricey> I carefully followed all your advice, pressed the power button and booted up. Installed Windows XP Pro with SP2, installed my video card drivers, installed the dfi utilities and drivers, installed my software, and everything is running perfecto

Followed advice or path of those who went before on a board with mammoth tweaks possible.

OCZ 520watt PowerStream PSU
A solid choice there.
RAM([email protected] PQI Turbo PC-3200 RAM 2.5-3-3-7
Pretty solid choice there but even more so he is not trying run so tight that is n*ts fall off.
Now that it is stable
How so?

I just have to run Memtest a few times
You did not mean stable above but only just running!
and then I'll be turning up the dial
You would be far ahead of the game to first make sure Prime95 and OCCT all pass at whatever speed you are currently using before turning any dials or frustration maybe your companion.

Now back to why I see a few users finally moving on along with grins instead of dour expressions.

@"timko" RAM - 2 x 512Mb OCZ 3200 Plat Rev.2 @ 310Mhz

PSU - Tagan 480w Another excellent choice with known good results.

@Frallan RAM: OCZ 3200 EL Plat rev.2 Hot dang another excellentOmundo choice.

PSU: OCZ Power Stream 600W Another bullseye choice for known success.

@Vegetarianator OCZ Platinum PC3200 EL Rev.2 TCCD Brainpower Dang another freekin bullseye hit.

OCZ Powerstream 520W Dang you guys are getting to be expert marksman with those spot on bullseyes.

Being a bonafide MS red-nake, the whole world is not known to me, but by my best calculations it only costs about $75 to $160 USD difference in monies to get in at the 96% or above chance to succeed rate than it does for most users to start with "IFFY" setup stamped on their forehead from the get go. Now I am not talking about users that would to begin from $40 power supplies and Value Ram but the average user can up his chance for a primo experience just by spending the right amount on the right stuff from day one. Then the whole thing can look like a walk in a luscious green meadow. And then it is time to test the wick turned up.

Much congratulations to you guys that have had some fun in the light.

RGone... :cool:

I am a noob on this board and do plan on singing praises for everyone's help after I am done building.

But my first outsider observation is that most people come here frustrated rather than go to amd/intel, nvidia or memory manufacturers and gripe is because the mobo is the "meeting place" for all the elements and likely the first place you will turn and seek help.

That plus the fact that everyone here is so helpful, leads to more people here.

One recommendation to frustrated moderators (if there are any) would to have a few more stickies so new people can quickly find important info and faq's. Search doesn't really work as good as some think. usually you get few hits when you're specific and too many hits when you are vague.

I guess I'm in the 1%. I spent the cash and got good parts and have been embroiled in 2 months of pure hell (3rd set of RAM...about 2 days away from RMAing everything that newegg will take back). I've been building machines for over 10 years, but I've never seen persistent stability problems at stock speeds like this before. Ever. I've also never seen a motherboard/memory combo that refuses to run on default conservative settings before.

See my Help! thread if you're interested.

But sadly that is not where the memory controller is located.

motherboard/memory combo

That still leaves the cpu as a dud and not any of the other pieces and I tell you a truth: if I had had that configuration of pieces not work OK in less than 5 days> every piece would have gone back immediately for a fresh start while the preliminary rma period was in effect. The 'why' is because that calibre of pieces and no "workie" is going to be the worst pile to trouble shoot that you ever came across and 'starting' with all new parts again of the same calibre would have replaced the defective thing right at the beginning.

The hardest part is in the country and western song> "you gotta know when to hold-em and know when to fold-em.". And most everyone I see in here wait way way to long and almost always points finger at the board and it usually is not the problem but would go back with everything else at the 3 or 4 day point as well.

I guess maybe I should say that I would do as above because I know pretty much how to setup one of these boards. I have seen everyone of the user "crazy-crap" that has been posted in here. 3 LEDs/4LEDs/Turn-on power and BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP but the difference is I know not to just start a wholesale jumping up and down but to do X and do so methodically and never ever jump to conclusions and rush to just have to see something on the screen but do this or that and adjust or clear CMOS or stick the right piece of starter ram in the socket and up and off we go.

Oh well maybe you will find the one thing that is truly defective/marginal. I will say this if I had not paid close attention to my setup> I would have sworn my 3800Venice was going to drive me to drinking and that would have not been good; because I have not had a drop since Oct 16, 1989. That sum beech cpu did not like any speed near the 2800mhz I am running now until I put some PDP 400/533 memory in it that most of the other configs have not liked as well. Go freekin figure.

RGone...

RGone....you are truly the master of the run on sentence. If there were a kingdom for bad grammar, you would be king:)

That said, I appreciate the feedback, even if it was of the hindsight is 20/20 variety. The DFI board can be tricky to configure, I am/was new to A64 configuring and overclocking, and I was trying to set up some 4000 VX which LOTS of people are having trouble with.

Short answer, there was no way I could have known that my best course of action was the RMA the entire rig. I don't believe that advice is in any one of the many sticky threads I've poured over and printed out on these forums. It seemed that patience and proper testing to try to isolate the problem and RMA only the offending part was the correct course of action.

So, now here I am 2 months of hellish frustration later with $1200 worth of parts I probably can't RMA anymore that won't work nicely together...and nobody really has any idea of how to help. :-(

ah the smell of innocent naivety

yes, I had good parts, yes I had NO problems setting up my rig initially

Once I started O/C'ing different story..............................

running BOINC on a rig I SWORE was stable ended up corrupting my BIOS/windoze install and caused me to spend two weeks actually getting this thing stable with a good O/C (ie. memtes and prime95 > than 8 hours NO ERRORS)

setting up is great, stable O/C on this board takes time and patience

In all it took almost a month to get this thing perfect, a long time when you dump a lot of cash into a bunch of parts that you expect to work from the get go

good luck Ricey and be :cool:

Yeah, guess I'm just an unlucky overly optimistic bastard.....I never even got the "easy stock speed" part going in my favor. Forget overclocking, I just want my machine to be able to run Windows without a BSOD.

This thread is a classic example of what will work probably 99% of the time day in and day out. And here is the commonality of the whys.

Followed advice or path of those who went before on a board with mammoth tweaks possible.

A solid choice there.

Pretty solid choice there but even more so he is not trying run so tight that is n*ts fall off.

How so?

You did not mean stable above but only just running!

You would be far ahead of the game to first make sure Prime95 and OCCT all pass at whatever speed you are currently using before turning any dials or frustration maybe your companion.

Now back to why I see a few users finally moving on along with grins instead of dour expressions.

@"timko" RAM - 2 x 512Mb OCZ 3200 Plat Rev.2 @ 310Mhz

PSU - Tagan 480w Another excellent choice with known good results.

@Frallan RAM: OCZ 3200 EL Plat rev.2 Hot dang another excellentOmundo choice.

PSU: OCZ Power Stream 600W Another bullseye choice for known success.

@Vegetarianator OCZ Platinum PC3200 EL Rev.2 TCCD Brainpower Dang another freekin bullseye hit.

OCZ Powerstream 520W Dang you guys are getting to be expert marksman with those spot on bullseyes.

Being a bonafide MS red-nake, the whole world is not known to me, but by my best calculations it only costs about $75 to $160 USD difference in monies to get in at the 96% or above chance to succeed rate than it does for most users to start with "IFFY" setup stamped on their forehead from the get go. Now I am not talking about users that would to begin from $40 power supplies and Value Ram but the average user can up his chance for a primo experience just by spending the right amount on the right stuff from day one. Then the whole thing can look like a walk in a luscious green meadow. And then it is time to test the wick turned up.

Much congratulations to you guys that have had some fun in the light.

RGone... :cool:

Yep, you are right, my system is running but not proven stable yet.

I have run Memtest 86 v3.2 for 2 hours on each RAM module, with no errors, but I will run it overnight on both chips and see what happens.

After that, I will run aquamark 3.

ricey

edit: and a big thank you to Ed Jacobsen; you rock!