Sign in to follow this  
jjsscram

Question about memtest with no boot

System started to acked funny today. random reboots, then it got to where it will boot to start window normally. If I start windows normally it will restart. I can run memtest #5 and pass 20 passes, just can not get all the way into windows. I am thinking it is the video card, but not only about 70% sure, what do you think. I have pulled the video card and check for physical damage, condisation and such but found nothing. the card was at 500/500 on a overclocked playing UT2004 when the system started to act up. house was a bit warmer then normal.

thank for any input

No idea jjsscram, warmer than usual is a clue perhaps. Maybe a touch more CPU voltage, usually that's the hump with booting into Windows if you can pass Memtest 5 and 8 for more than 20 loops.

In my opinion, memtest is a good place to start, but does not mean things are stable. If things run ok in memtest, then I'd try to boot into windows, then try SuperPI. If things go well up to 32 million digits, then try prime95. Memtest is a good place to start, but it doesn't mean things are stable yet...just stable enough to boot into windows.

The system has been stable and booting for months now. just been very busy with hunny does for the last 2 weeks, but the last 2 weeks have warm up quit a bit here too. have to do some more reseach.

Finally got to boot into windows. had to cleared the cmos overnight and had jump the pins for safemode. Loaded up a working bios I had saved and lowered the clock speed to 200. Still not sure what exectly cuase the problem. I also converted the video card back to air cooling for troubleshooting the system. I will run it for a day or two then hook back up the tec/water cooling to the video card. then in a few days start to clock it back up. I will post back if i find a problem other then overclocking.

thanks for the input

System is very unstable. some times i can get into window sometimes i can not. When i can't get in i get to just right before the login screen and it restarts. If I get in I get radom BSOD.

you need to run more than test #5 in memtest also

and like stated, memtest is a good starting point, but should not be considered the be-all/end-all

Got a x800 xl today, reset the cmos brought the system up. Uninstalled all the drivers and reinstalled. looks stable and good so far.

I seem to have a second problem, the sub-zero bug. What is the range of temps that everyone is seeing the sub zero bug in? I pulled my video card from the tec/water cooled loop and started to have all sorts of random freezes, bsod, and random reboots. I onclocked the system and unplug my tec cooling on my computer and the system seems to be running ok. I turned the voltage down on my meanwell and so far so good.