Removing/ Re-seating the SLI-DR's chipset fan

Yep, I confess, I puled the HSF and gave it the old AS3 conversion before I even powered the board up :nod:

Been thinking, a perfect solution might ultimately be a heatpipe design....think mini version of a Shuttle CPU heatpipe cooler. With the fin section standing up off the board right next to the "HDisk" power connector. No fan needed, just airflow in general inside the case. Needs to be fabricated, so maybe DFI might consider thinking about this as a good solution. Hell I''d pay $30+ for one for this application.

From Tropikal's post:

"Used arcticlean to dissolve the orange/yellowish pad (though you have to be aware of 2 things 1) it only makes it softer to remove,does not dissolve it 2) the square pad on the border does absorb the liquid you poor and starts falling apart - so the less liquid goes there the better)."

So there is a second pad around the edge of the chip that you leave on? I have never taken the fan off, so I'm trying to figure out what this means and whether I'll need to worry about it.

-Pete

That is correct. There is a soft pad on the hsf which surrounds the actual thermal compund ( i have no idea what meterial that is ) which is more solid and granular. This last material is the one that covers the chipset and this is the one i removed substituting it with AS5. The outer pad is sort of like a confining tool that avoid this material to spread all over.. it doesnt have any actual cooling purpose to it as far as it seems.

the outer pad is just a protective felt pad.............

It can be removed (very carefully or it will tear) and replaced because I have managed to do it :nod:

I lapped my NB cooler (as practice for my CPU and GPU coolers) so i had to take off that second pad.