Sign in to follow this  
Zorkwiz

Removing/ Re-seating the SLI-DR's chipset fan

As some have noted, the first PCI-E slot on the SLI-DR board can seriously cramp the chipset fan depending on your board/gfx card.

In addition, I have seen 50c+ temps from the chipset thermal sensor on my board (at idle with stock speeds), causing me to want to remove the thermal pad and re-seat it using some of my Arctic Silver 5.

My question is, for those of you who have done this before, what type of cleaner and procedure would you recommend for removing the old thermal pad/compound. I assume that this would void the warrantee, so I want to be extremely careful if I were to attempt it.

Thanks!

-Pete

99% pure isopropyl alcohol from your drugstore usually does the trick, along with some Q-tips and an old t-shirt. Let a few drops soak into the old TIM pad for a few minutes, then start wiping away the mess. Just like CPU HSF.

artic silver does make arctic clean also. if you can find it. ive seen it at frys. or you can order it online im sure thats if you didnt want to use 99 percent alcohol from drug store.

artic silver does make arctic clean also. if you can find it. ive seen it at frys. or you can order it online im sure thats if you didnt want to use 99 percent alcohol from drug store.

The Arctic Clean/Arctic Purifier products work very well, and smell nice too! 99% isopropyl alcohol is dirt cheap, readily available, and almost as good. Angry_Games has convinced me :)

Guest scaramonga

Good old PURE Nail Varnish for removing...........and NEVER a T-Shirt!!........a LINT FREE cloth leaves NO fibres........... ;)

Good old PURE Nail Varnish for removing...........and NEVER a T-Shirt!!........a LINT FREE cloth leaves NO fibres........... ;)

true, but i also use canned air to force any leftovers off both the chip and heatsink regardless of what i wipe with.

Actually, a good quality clean cotton t-shirt has less lint and is less abrasive than Q-tips or paper towels at the same pressures. You could use lens cleaning tissue or coffee filters as alternatives too, but there really is no such thing as a lint free product that is made out of fibers. AG has the key as always: compressed air is the only way to remove lint and particles.

Guest scaramonga
compressed air is the only way to remove lint and particles.

Not actually true m8?

The use of compressed air actually moves more than you intend to!.........dust for one........unseen to the eye!........and other particles........the force of these air cannisters is quite strong........and as such........creates more 'unnoticable' bodies than softly cleaning/polishing with the proper cloth.......... :):)

I did this on both my SLI-DR boards:

Make sure you have plenty of cue tips and paper towels/toilet paper around you before you start..

This is what i did

- Carefully removed the chipset hsf

- Used arcticlean to dissolve the orange/yellowish pad (though you have to be aware of 2 things 1) it only makes it softer to remove,does not dissolve it 2) the square pad on the border does absorb the liquid you poor and starts falling apart - so the less liquid goes there the better).

- Used cue tips and paper towels to remove the yellow pad.

- Afterwards i poored some more arcticlean (1) to make sure there were no residues and wiped with cue tips.

- Applied arcticlean (2) and again wiped with cue tips.

- I waited a couple of minutes till everything was dry and then started hosing away with canned air (you can get it at staples for cheap). Go light on the external pad when you spray with air to make sure the square pad doesnt come off (in case liquid was absorbed and it started detaching from the hsf.)

- At this point applied a thin layer of arctic silver 5 on the chipset and placed the hsf back on it.

Result = i get about 6~8 degrees celsius less on the chipset.

I did this on both my SLI-DR boards:

Make sure you have plenty of cue tips and paper towels/toilet paper around you before you start..

This is what i did

- Carefully removed the chipset hsf

- Used arcticlean to dissolve the orange/yellowish pad (though you have to be aware of 2 things 1) it only makes it softer to remove,does not dissolve it 2) the square pad on the border does absorb the liquid you poor and starts falling apart - so the less liquid goes there the better).

- Used cue tips and paper towels to remove the yellow pad.

- Afterwards i poored some more arcticlean (1) to make sure there were no residues and wiped with cue tips.

- Applied arcticlean (2) and again wiped with cue tips.

- I waited a couple of minutes till everything was dry and then started hosing away with canned air (you can get it at staples for cheap). Go light on the external pad when you spray with air to make sure the square pad doesnt come off (in case liquid was absorbed and it started detaching from the hsf.)

- At this point applied a thin layer of arctic silver 5 on the chipset and placed the hsf back on it.

Result = i get about 6~8 degrees celsius less on the chipset.

good for you! nice job!

Not actually true m8?

The use of compressed air actually moves more than you intend to!.........dust for one........unseen to the eye!........and other particles........the force of these air cannisters is quite strong........and as such........creates more 'unnoticable' bodies than softly cleaning/polishing with the proper cloth.......... :):)

You are right scaramonga, you could in fact stir up more dust and stuff with compressed air and end up with more contamination than if you just swiped it with a rag. Maybe a combination of using your vacuum cleaner with a thin nozzle and compressed air would be optimum. I use to work with optics and have looked at precision surfaces using a microscope, and you'd be amazed how much junk floats down in the 10-20 minutes it takes you to assemble things.

From Tropikal's post:

"Used arcticlean to dissolve the orange/yellowish pad (though you have to be aware of 2 things 1) it only makes it softer to remove,does not dissolve it 2) the square pad on the border does absorb the liquid you poor and starts falling apart - so the less liquid goes there the better)."

So there is a second pad around the edge of the chip that you leave on? I have never taken the fan off, so I'm trying to figure out what this means and whether I'll need to worry about it.

-Pete