Sign in to follow this  
Suddhodana

Stability problems w/ G.Skill 1024MB DDR600

At first I tried to boot in dual channel with both rams in the orange slots: Bluescreen before windows was able to start.

With only one ram(you can use both rams for that so they seem to be okay) the system seems to work normal. So I tried again with 2 rams @ 2,700. WOW, it starts BUT its far away from beeing stable. With 2,800 it seems to work fine, but I dont think that that was the intention of G.Skill :D

On the package g.skill says: 2-2-2-5 @DDR400 so It SHOULD work with 2,600 @ 2-2-2-5 @ DDR400. But it neither works with 2-2-2-5

nor with all the options set on "auto"(in the BIOS). Shall i send them back and hope for better ones? Or is it a mainboard problem(seems so to me...)!?

Shall I update to 510? My current Version is 310.

Please help guys :angel:

Question: Will my performance be increased when I lower my multiplier but increase the ram clock? So will i.e 8x300 faster then 12x200 ?

To the guide: Its based on using the ram on DDR 600 or higher. But at the moment Iam using the Ram on DDR400.

The REAL question is: Why is the ram not stable at 2-2-2-5 with standart Voltage?

Sudd,

Here's a few numbers for you when I first started overclocking my A64...

Sandra Memory Bench Scores...

10 x 240 = 2.4Ghz : 6805, 6695

8 x 300 = 2.4Ghz : 7301, 7198

Ok so it's not totally definitive but a faster HTT and RAM Mhz always means more bandwidth :)

Also, that guide at XS is the same one I followed to get 310Mhz 1:1 from my OCZ Rev.2 TCCD. Plus you'll most likely need to go 2.5-4-3-x to get 300Mhz stable, see this for proof...

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=53290

Question: Will my performance be increased when I lower my multiplier but increase the ram clock? So will i.e 8x300 faster then 12x200 ?

To the guide: Its based on using the ram on DDR 600 or higher. But at the moment Iam using the Ram on DDR400.

The REAL question is: Why is the ram not stable at 2-2-2-5 with standart Voltage?

It most likely is, but you may have to loosen up some/all of the other settings besides the 2-2-2-5 settings. You'll still have 2-2-2-5 though....

m :)

Agreed ^^^ In order to get my OCZ TCCD to function 200Mhz at 2-2-2-5 I had to set, in the DRAM Settings page in the BIOS, everything starting from (and including) Row Cycle Time all the way down to the bottom to Auto.

Once I got into Windows I fired up A64 tweaker and wrote down the settings that the Auto ones found and then went back into the BIOS and set those same settings manually. Also, you might find that you have to give it an extra 0.1v for it to remain stable, RAM makers can sometimes be too conservative with their suggested vdimm values for stock running :)

I believe 2.85 is the official max, but anything goes in the world of OC huh? I have seen cases where TCCD can error with too much or not enough voltage. You'll prob have to determine your own sweet spot.....

m :)

I agree with mucker, for me 2.5v was fine for stock speeds, 2.6v was needed for stability with my OC. Over 2.6v just caused Memtest errors. Sometimes I wish we had smaller VDIMM increments than 0.1v to play with in BIOS, but there is already so much flexibility I can't complain too much ;)

']Sudd,

Here's a few numbers for you when I first started overclocking my A64...

Sandra Memory Bench Scores...

10 x 240 = 2.4Ghz : 6805, 6695

8 x 300 = 2.4Ghz : 7301, 7198

Ok so it's not totally definitive but a faster HTT and RAM Mhz always means more bandwidth :)

Also, that guide at XS is the same one I followed to get 310Mhz 1:1 from my OCZ Rev.2 TCCD. Plus you'll most likely need to go 2.5-4-3-x to get 300Mhz stable, see this for proof...

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=53290

Will my CPU temp. increase when I increase the HTT but lower the multiplier? I mean is the same Mhz, so why should there be an increase?