Please help, it won't post!

I recently received a new DFI LanParty Ultra-D which today I have found is Revision A00 which based on what I have read is not good. After installing Windows 98 it will post after one hour or so and then crashes if I load anything in Windows. I have tried the following:

1 Tried using different memory.

2 Checked all the cables, all power cables are plugged in using 600w Noisetaker.

3 I have tried all combinations of memory settings, voltage from 2.6-3.4, timings, drive strengths etc makes no difference at all.

4 Flashing the BIOS to version 125

5 Tried using 1 stick of memory

6 Disabled USB, LAN etc

I am certain the board is the problem as ALL the pin connectors for the case buttons do NOT work. I have also experienced crashes in the BIOS and at early boot stages that would only be resolved by clearing the BIOS.

Should I send the board to DFI or to the shop?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no bad board revision, so I don't know where you would've heard that. A00 just means it comes with the 1/25 BIOS (which wasn't very successful). So...

1) Flash to the 3/10 BIOS.

2) I'm not sure Win98 will work, anyway.

"I am certain the board is the problem as ALL the pin connectors for the case buttons do NOT work. I have also experienced crashes in the BIOS and at early boot stages that would only be resolved by clearing the BIOS."

Check the polarity of the wires (make sure the colored wire is on the + side), I had the same problem but I reversed the wires and it worked.

As for your other problems, try flashing to 3/10, load optimal settings and work your way up from there.

There is no bad board revision, so I don't know where you would've heard that. A00 just means it comes with the 1/25 BIOS (which wasn't very successful). So...

1) Flash to the 3/10 BIOS.

2) I'm not sure Win98 will work, anyway.

So there is NO element of truth in the following quote posted on another forum ?

Quote" IIRC some ppl were granted RMAs on rev. A00, as some minor (hardware?!?) improvements had been implemented on the A01 to improve its stability. There was no recall, more the fact DFI were accepting RMAs for this revision.

I think it was the reason why there was a small delay when these finally came out in early Feb rather than late Jan as expected... " Unquote

It would be most useful were an 'official DFI voice' post to clarify this point please.

It is not that w98 will not install.....I do not think there are w98 drivers for nf4 chipset.

Also when you say your system will not post.....how far does it get?

Check your diag led's on the motherboard. How many lights stay lit?

Also when troubleshooting a issue, try to keep an open mind.....don't asume anything. Let the toubleshhooting be your guide.

Actually its revision AA0 my mistake but the switches definately do not work in any polarity. I see no reason why XP should work and 98 should not. I will try 310...installing CPU, again

I got the board in my sig (rev. AB0) a week ago and I have the same problem as well as a few others. It's hung at 3 leds and wont post past that point at all. I got a 3200 Winchester coming as well as an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe so I can swap out CPU, and memory and find out for sure what's dead. I'm sorry for your trouble, but it helps me because I think my problem is a DOA m/b. At least with a Different CPU and m/b I can nail it down. If I have to eat a dead part, I want it to be the DFI and not the FX55. $150. compared to the $830.00 for that CPU.

It will post to the extent a desktop appears and a mouse pointer will move but thats about it. I went into system properties where it said I had a gig of ram before I ran the chipset driver CD and it crashed. I have windows XP but it has to be run from a Windows platform.

"I have windows XP but it has to be run from a Windows platform."

Does this mean you have an "upgrade WinXP disk? If it does, there is a way to install WinXP or any other Windows "upgrade" without loading the previous o/s. I've been doing it since Win95. I just buy OEM upgrades.

Ok, so your system posts...When u say you have windows xp....is this a retail upgrade? If it is you can do a full, clean install....Just reformat your hard drive. And install xp...when you enter your key, the system will try to verify in your case w98 install. Just stick your w98 cd when asked for varification. You should be good to go.

I haven't seen enough fully faulty motherboards since late January to fill use up two hands worth of digits. I have seen tons of misset memory timings and weak voltages and weak power supplies. Bioses in need of update to a later one and then tweaking till it gets set right. And Win98 has been said a number of times as a poor choice if Nvidia is truly still writing any drivers for the boards. The memory in dual channel is likely managed by a Win98 O/s is poorly managed if at all and Win98 had a practical limit of 512mb anyway.

If you have some strange XP cd and it is true M$ upgrade cpu you can start the XP install and when it says it needs qualifying platform to update you simply insert Win98 Cd into Cd drive it verifies upgrade is permissable and put the XP install Cd back into Cd drive and on with the install.

RGone..

Bingo, Stephen. We posted at the same time. That's the way I've been installing the upgrade o/s all this time. Panmaster, the upgrade o/s's are all "full" o/s cd's. They just have extra code at the beginning that looks for the qualifying previous o/s. It doesn't have to be installed. When you put the Win98 cd in the tray and point XP to it, it will ok the XP install, then you just switch disks back to the XP one and continue.