Sign in to follow this  
Kranthos

[RESOLVED]FLASH 3/10/05>> NF4 New W/Problems

Hi Guys, I've been looking through the threads and notice many dual channel issues. Although I dont see any describing my problem so I will explain in hopes someone has some direction I can take. Here is the system

DFI NF4 Lanparty UT Ultra-D

Athlon 64 4000+

G.Skill 400 ram 2x512

XFX GF 6800 GT 256 PCI-E

XP 90C / Artic Silver 5 / Vantec Tornado

Maxtor 200 gb Sata

Enermax 485w

XP Pro w/sp2

Did the build about 24 hours ago, started the OS install, after formating the HD and than windows gathering files in the temp file for setup it would always crash to a blue screen with a IRQL error. After this happening a few times, ran memtest v3.2 for several hours and everything passed completely with 0 errors. Back to the system and tried to tweak some settings in bios and always the same result, crash when setup is copying files to the installation folder. Figured it was time to start pulling peices out and seeing how it changes the problem and started with the ram. When I pulled the stick in dimm 4 out and just left the one stick in dimm 2, the system ran beautifully and completed the setup and first install of windows. After windows was in and all drivers etc, i thought i'd try putting the 2 sticks in dimms 1 and 3, and quickly was told by the mobo that dual channel would only be in 2 and 4. But when putting the stick back in 4 the system would now crash just after the xp splash screen and than reboot, it would do this loop indefinately. I swapped out the sticks and both would work in single mode in dimm 2 alone, but anytime you added the other stick to dimm 4 forget about it...crash. dimms 1 and 3 and 1 and 2 would run but only in single channel mode and if only one stick was in 4 or if 2 and 3 were populated the system would not even boot. Is dimm 4 bad on my mobo and i need to return it? or is this something that can be corrected with a bios flash?

Thanks for any and all help!!

Up Vdimm to 2.8V and retry. Might not hurt to add a little to the cpu as well.

RGone...

RGone thanks for the reply! I'm trying to change the voltage but it keeps reverting back to 2.6 What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the help.

Hello,

Is that a San Diego CPU too?

The voltage will do that if you have BIOS v 125.

So you need to flash the BIOS to 310. (also supports the newr CPU cores)

New BIOS may fix windows XP problems too.

Hi Sharp, yes it is a San Diego

I found the dfi site with the 310 bios on it and i notice one called a diamond flash image. Is this the one I should use? I flashed a DFI board last year and blew it and ended up needing a new chip and got a bios savior. I'm trying to be careful not to do that again as this system is for a friend. Do you think that this 310 bios will correct my dimm 4 problem? I have 2 sticks of g.skill tccd memory and when i use only one stick in dimm 2 the system works fine, but add the 2nd stick to dimm 4 and i crash right after the windows splash screen and it reboots and loops thru that indefinately. I've swapped out the ram and the same thing happens so the ram is good as far as i can tell its just the 4th dimm. I thought maybe the dimm slot was bad on the board, but hoping maybe the bios might correct my problem.

Thanks a ton for the help!!

If you download the diamond flash exe and RUN/execute the exe it will put the needed files onto a 'floppy' disk and then you can set bios menu to boot floppy disk first and reboot to the floppy and it will begin flash and if needed answer NO to back up old bios and YES to flash the new and follow rest of any onscreen commands and when it says F1 to reboot> shutdown instead and clear the CMOS

"exactly" as outlined in the stickys for "approved" CMOS clear procedure.

Of course after CMOS clear then re-enter bios and setup as needed and turn off all stuff not used "EXCEPT" sata drives if you are using them on NVraid. Turn off SIL raid/serial port/whichever LAN you are not using/1394 if not used/parallel port and such BS as is not ever going to be used because at 'install' of windoors the O/s sees that unnecessary BS and assigns IRQ's based on what it sees and then if you ain't using it all> well h*ll you got windoors assigning hold aside IRQ'a for shett ain't never to be used.

RGone...

RGone thanks for the reply! I'm trying to change the voltage but it keeps reverting back to 2.6 What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the help.

You're probably running with the 1/25 BIOS. Try flashing to 310 or later one.

Thank you very much guys. The 310 flash and increasing my vdimm to 2.8 was successfull and solved the problem with my g.skill tccd sticks. dimms 2 and 4 working nicely now.

You might get by with 2.7 or 2.6 volts even with that G.Skill TCCD. Glad you got it sorted, keep tuning then have fun!