Sign in to follow this  
Dexx

Zalman 7700 too heavy?

Ive been using a Zalman 7000 AlCu on my ultra-D and it works good. The cooler is no heavier than the A64 stock cooler. I'm going to try out a friends 7700 Cu to see if its any better. Thing is the 7700 is very heavy (1KG). Even with the Zalman supplied backplate, i'm worried that the weight of this heatsink will damage my board over time. Should i be worried?

Ive been using a Zalman 7000 AlCu on my ultra-D and it works good. The cooler is no heavier than the A64 stock cooler. I'm going to try out a friends 7700 Cu to see if its any better. Thing is the 7700 is very heavy (1KG). Even with the Zalman supplied backplate, i'm worried that the weight of this heatsink will damage my board over time. Should i be worried?
Get the Thermalright XP-90 with the 92mm, 57CFM Panaflo, the best air cooling available! :nod:

Dexx i looked at both and saw reviews comparing the two coolers

To me the extra weight was a big turn off

the performance of the all copper unit while better wasnt enuff for me to risk it so i went with a 7000.

The last thing i want is for the cooler to fall off and crunch my video card.

IMHO its only worth it if you never move your case

i have to pull mine out to flash bios and install . etc so i played it safe

Better get Arctic Cooling Freezer 64. I have one and it does excellent job cooling my cpu.

It's much cheaper and lighter than that over priced Zalman cooler.

Why not get the Zalman 7700ALCU - it's still quite heavy but quite a bit lighter than the all copper (cu) version. Cooling may not be *quite* as good as the CU but it's not far off and still very good.

I was running the Arctic Cooler Freezer 64 until this w/e. Decent enough but after installing the 7700alcu I'm seeing a drop in 3 degrees on CPU idle and 7 degrees on PWMIC! Nice!!

Damian

Well depends how [H]ard U are... I have it and I use it. On the other hand if I go to a LAN Party Ill remove it and remount it when I get there and the same procedure again when going home...

To save yourself the grief of popping the HSF off the mobo, always transport your rig with the motherboard side down.

Regardless of the HSF combination, it's in your best interest to keep the weight of the heatsink directly over the mounting hardware.

I can't tell you how many rigs shipped to customers and my office arrived with the heatsink detached. The mass of metal bounced around the inside of the case destroying everything it came in contact with.

IBM and HP ship their servers with tilt indicators on the boxes to make sure they stayed flat during transport.

During the evacuation for hurricane Ivan last Fall, all of my rigs made a 600 mile round trip in the trunk of my work car without incident.

Keep the rig flat with the motherboard down and you should have no problems moving it anywhere even with the heaviest HSF mounted.

I was running the Arctic Cooler Freezer 64 until this w/e. Decent enough but after installing the 7700alcu I'm seeing a drop in 3 degrees on CPU idle and 7 degrees on PWMIC! Nice!!

Yeah man i noticed a huge drop in pwmic temp i have been pleasantly surprised by my Zalman and it has a blue light to boot :)

its about 17 degrees in my room now and i got 28 CPU, 27 PWMIC and 29 for the system.

The extra cooling effect of Zalmans helps out everywhere :nod: