Quality Comp Cases

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will be a very specific discussion of my case cooling setup. I have two Antec cases, a Performance One P-160 and a Super Lanboy. These are the only two cases I have tested and modified.

Cobia69 is also running a Super Lanboy with a reversed rear fan and can attest to the lower temps.

-----------

I never understood the concept that you must intake air at the bottom and exhaust it at the top because "heat rises". Yes, in a static environment heat will rise. If you put a tall enough chimney on a computer you could get enough airflow from the heated air rising to cool it without any fans.

But that's the problem. Computer cases are short of creating a proper chimney effect by several orders of magnitude.

Here's a simple test I performed. Setup your rig with a cooling scheme and measure the temps. Then turn the case so it rests on the top. If you have proper airflow the temps will not change. If the temps rise in the "new' top, you don't have enough airflow.

It's also important to keep positive airflow that's filtered. This makes sure that air won't infiltrate through the gaps in the case and around the drives letting dust coat the components. Even the thinnest layer of dust acts like a blanket holding the heat inside the components. Negative air flow will let the case suck dirt and dust inside from every crack and gap. Since I reversed the rear fan on my rigs, I can go months without any dust buildup inside the case. Drag your finger on the bottom of the case as a simple test.

Aiming a fan at a "hot spot" works through two principles. Impinging airflow and volume exchange. Impinging airflow is the reason that the fan on your heatsink points down onto the fins. Volume exchange simply means moving the "heated" air out of the way so cooler air can take its place.

Good cooling in a computer case has very little to do with "heat rising". Keep the air stirred up and exchange the volume of air often and you will keep your rig nice and cool.

So let's review. Air flow is good. Negative air flow is bad. Volume exchange is good. Unfiltered air is bad.

To address the point burningrave101 made about engineers.

Engineers must listen to marketing people. If you saw a case with the rear fan as an intake you would automatically assume it had been installed backwards. Yet my tests and measurements show that turning my rear fan into an intake keeps my rig running cooler than the same fan as an exhaust. Hmmm!

If you look at the side fans on many cases they are right over the CPU area. Exactly where the rear fan on the Antec case is located. Back or side what's the difference.

I never understood the concept that you must intake air at the bottom and exhaust it at the top because "heat rises". Yes, in a static environment heat will rise. If you put a tall enough chimney on a computer you could get enough airflow from the heated air rising to cool it without any fans. ----SNIP----

Listen to this man..... he's exactly right !!!

Trouble is when you filter the incoming air you just end up with finner dust particals, which tend to be a little harder to remove! I don't know why they just stick better?

i got one of those modded out lian li 65b from frozen cpu..great case but things get hot...dont have the vapochill yet...its a very sexy case..plain no nonsense look and its all business...i reploaced all the fans with more powerful ones all working off a rheobus...got the vantec tornadoes...big mistake...stick with some sunons 50 cfms.. btw ive placed quite a few orders thru frozen cpu and theyre great to deal with...theyll mod anything anyway you want it(for a cost)highly recommended place to get some extreme gear..

But here's the rub(pun intended)!

Those same particles will be getting inside the case without any filter.

The smaller particles stick better due to molecular attraction. No kiddin'.

Listen to this man..... he's exactly right !!!

Trouble is when you filter the incoming air you just end up with finner dust particals, which tend to be a little harder to remove! I don't know why they just stick better?

But here's the rub(pun intended)!

Those same particles will be getting inside the case without any filter.

yes yes yes... but when there mixed with the larger dust particles they seem to brushed away more easily... just my experience anyways.

I wished I had botherd to take pics of some of the nasty computers I have opend up over time. Fully half the people here who own computers have no concept of dust and its usually critical before it ever becomes known the them. One PC I saw, I thought a Cat lived in, and the cat was snow white and so was the inside of the computer.

I decided the thermaltake Tsunami case (MID) is too small so I just pulled the trigger on the CM stacker in order to get a full sized case. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811119039

As opposed to getting this as this was the # 2 choice I made 0n a lian li case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...-112-508&depa=0

In the mods section I found a 27 buck server casehttp://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10860, but I already plan to move my current board into the Tsunami in the sig and use my current server case for another DFI build so I dont really need it.

This PC has an Intel D875pbz mobo with a 2.6 Intel processor and a gig of Kingston (value) and radeon9200se and its going to get put in the new Tsunami dream case.

hey ex roadie youre absolutely right!!!turned the tornado around and my case temp dropped at least 4c....not only that using the rear exhaust as an intake has forced more air towards my top exhaust!!!and the air flow cooled down the outside casing of my psu!!!!all in all i got better air flow and a coller inside to prove it! thanks for sharing that

I'm glad it worked for your case and setup. A 4C temp drop is significant and just about what I got with both of my rigs.

Enjoy!

hey ex roadie youre absolutely right!!!turned the tornado around and my case temp dropped at least 4c....not only that using the rear exhaust as an intake has forced more air towards my top exhaust!!!and the air flow cooled down the outside casing of my psu!!!!all in all i got better air flow and a coller inside to prove it! thanks for sharing that