OS restarts on startup

The Samsung drive DOES work now. It just doesn't work on Ultra DMA. It works on both PIO and Multi-Word DMA modes. Does Ultra DMA introduce something new to the equation that could cause an IRQ problem that PIO and Multi-Word DMA don't?

Yes, Ultra-DMA is a different beast. I can't find any DFI users with your exact problem, but your Samsung drive has a lot of Linux users upset. If the performance is okay using Multi-Word, I'd save up for a new drive or live with it :)

When SP2 came out and I was working at the computer shop (I do that about 6 months a year when my regular job is out of season) I saw plenty of machines go haywire and wacky with samsung CD/DVD's and SP2. I rolled back at least 20 or 30 machines to SP1 and it was back to normal operations.

From what I have read sp2 seems mandatory for DFI boards and so I would switch to a plain CD rom and try.

Thanks for the advice and info. I've decided to keep the Samsung on Multi-word DMA mode and I'll wait a while until getting a new drive unless the speed difference is intolerable. I've spent so much money (RAM, hard drive, ) recently that I haven't expected to that I have to hold myself back from buying any "small things".