Sign in to follow this  
Stevedub

IS there a thread that explains how to switch to your second pci-e slo

Oh, I was originally planning on doing that also, but since I saw that the PCI-E vid card would interfere with the heat sink then I couldn't. But now that I saw yours again, I can just move down the vid card to the second pci-e slot. IBut, I think I will just see how loud the chipset fan is first, if I can't hear it in my antec sonata anyways, then I'll just leave it.

Is it necesary to switch the jumpers if you're running your vidcard off the lower PCIE slot?

Mine's running fine atm, and I need the machine for work for the coming weeks, don't really want to install a load of benchmarking software and stuff or OC or even optimize anything that might jeopardize stability until after the work is done..

Everything runs fine atm with the following temps reported by nvmonitor:

CPU: 37C

System: 38C

GPU: 58C

Hey guys,

1st time poster here and I found this thread. I had this same exact problem and wanted to give my gfx card better airflow so I put it in the 2nd PCI-e slot. Everything was fine but the first time I restarted WindowsXP Pro after I changed the jumper settings to SLI, it said "ATI Control Center couldn't start b/c ATI drivers weren't working." However, Windows eventually found "new hardware" and installed it; after restarting again it seemed to be back to normal, as ATI Control Center loaded fine. After checking my Device Manager though, I saw that it now listed 2 gfx cards, "Radeon x800 Series", and "Radeon x800 Secondary". How can I make it so that it detects only one card, but that it's taking advantage of the jump from 2x to 8x? (Or is it perfectly normal for this to happen since it's technically in "SLI Mode"?)

Sorry for the long post but thnx for any help guys.

EDIT: I'd been using it in the 2nd PCI-e slot for months, and everything was working fine, but I wanted that jump from 2x to 8x for Battlefield 2 .

Hey guys,

1st time poster here and I found this thread. I had this same exact problem and wanted to give my gfx card better airflow so I put it in the 2nd PCI-e slot. ( I'd been using it in the 2nd PCI-e slot for months, and everything was working fine, but I wanted that jump from 2x to 8x for Battlefield 2 . Everything was fine but the first time I restarted WindowsXP Pro after I changed the jumper settings to SLI, it said "ATI Control Center couldn't start b/c ATI drivers weren't working." However, Windows eventually found "new hardware" and installed it; after restarting again it seemed to be back to normal, as ATI Control Center loaded fine. After checking my Device Manager though, I saw that it now listed 2 gfx cards, "Radeon x800 Series", and "Radeon x800 Secondary". How can I make it so that it detects only one card, but that it's taking advantage of the jump from 2x to 8x? (Or is it perfectly normal for this to happen since it's technically in "SLI Mode"?)

once your vid card is mounted, it should NEVER MOVE. if it moves, you got some problems.
-AG

Could anyone explain this in more detail? What kind of problems (other then the speed decrease 16x to 8x.. or is this the only one?).

I moved my Radeon to improve air flow since it inconveinently sits right over top the chipset fan (why was it designed like that?). And it's 1/8th of an inch away from my heat sink.. also the minidrive connector is damn near impossible to plugin or takeout with a video card present.

-w

I would just like to mention that on dfi lanparty nf4 sli-dr boards as well as many of the others like just dr and the sli-dr boards, the second pci-e slot i beleive runs at 2 times bandwidth only.

in doing this you might short yourself out with a slow video card performance??

here's how DFI Lanparty NF4 motherboard PCI-E slots work (including Expert, which is controlled through the BIOS instead of jumpers, but still works the same principle)

default is 16x / 2x (upper/lower)

SLI is 8x / 8x (upper/lower)

DXG (ie not SLI, but using 2 vid cards) is 16x/2x or 8x/8x depending on your jumpers (bios for Expert NF4)

you can easily set your pci-e slots to 8x 8x by changing the jumpers on the board to SLI mode (or setting the bios on the Expert board). You can use EITHER slot for your video cards. It doesn't matter. Honest.

as for whoever made the ridiculous comment that you cannot move your vid card...BOLLOCKS (I think that is British for BULLSH#@$%!!!!).

no card other than maybe the 512MB versions of the 7800GTX and X1900 ATI use more than 8x bandwidth to my knowledge. I know for sure that 7800GTX and below and X1800 and below probably are barely at 7x or 8x so you won't see a whole lot of performance drop.

I will be doing yet another comparison as soon as I can where I show everyone the minute differences between 16x, 8x, and 2x PCI-E speeds (just so we can clear this up)

After checking my Device Manager though, I saw that it now listed 2 gfx cards, "Radeon x800 Series", and "Radeon x800 Secondary". How can I make it so that it detects only one card, but that it's taking advantage of the jump from 2x to 8x? (Or is it perfectly normal for this to happen since it's technically in "SLI Mode"?)

ATI cards always show that, well at least my old 9700Pro and x800xt both did... :)

as for whoever made the ridiculous comment that you cannot move your vid card...BOLLOCKS (I think that is British for BULLSH#@$%!!!!).

bollocks = testicles, and can be used the same as bull crap!

ie "You are talking a load of bollocks!", conversely, you could also say, "I received a bollocking at work today" meaing that you were reprimanded (told off)! :nod:

Good old British langauge hey :P

I will be doing yet another comparison as soon as I can where I show everyone the minute differences between 16x, 8x, and 2x PCI-E speeds (just so we can clear this up)

And here you go... :)

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...6&highlight=x16

There are some other tests I would have done if I had more time, but honestly after seeing the results there isn't really any point. (To me at least)