3000+ Vencie and Geil Ultra-X ram

Excellent, great that you have made some positive progress and glad to be of help!!

It does sounds like you have the UTT-BH5 sticks, now they may go at CAS 1.5, but are rated 2.0 - can only try and see... an XP90C or XP120 will do you great with the 120 providing some extra airflow over the memory.

You should be able to run 2-2-2-5 without the need to loosen the timings... see what you get. I will post up my settings for you when I get a momment. I must say the change across to DFI has been rewarding (a few initial frustrations) and has got even more out of this memory.

As with ianocean, I have some other GEIL sticks rated at 1.5-2-2-5 and I getting these up around the 268-270 @ 1T which is very good I think.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay guys back up. Four hours of tinkering and things are definitely up.

The P/N of the geil ultra-x ram was for UTT-BH5 chips not TCCD as I thought.

I flashed the 510-2 bios and bumped the dram voltage to 3.3v and am currently two hours prime95 stable at 235 fsb with latencies: 1.5-3-3-6.

I don't feel like I'm pushing it either. :tooth: Thanks for the help ncsa, _games.

3dmark05score: 4850

I'll keep this updated as I go on.

Screenshots attached

srry bout the double attachment on that last post. Meant to just put the 3dmark05 pic up. the other two are the same.

I think I will let it run for a while at 235 before I decide to push it any higher.

I tried 235 at 2-2-2-5 but errors came after 44% passed on memtest. I bumped to 2-3-3-6 and memetest passed so I lowered it to 1.5-3-3-6 and memtest still passed, so i left it at that speed to run prime95. Every other setting besides dram frequency, fsb, and tcl,trcd,tras,trp is set to default. I think I should move the voltage to 3.4

Sounds great and that 6800Gt card really pulls for you... once you get things singing you will be able to get 5-6K with that card... glad things are working out..

have a search for BIOS updates for the 6800.. I have read that this may help these temps and also the reporting... plus the nvidia drivers as well.... your frame rates appear to be down maybe not enough psu power...?

latest update:

Ok, been tweaking for days now, at first my memory would not run higher than 235 FSB at 2-2-2-6 but I set it there and let it run prime95 for 12 hours on the torture test.

I also placed a case fan over top the ram to help cool it. After that I put in a 9/10 divider (90% speed) and bumped the FSB to 260. This set the ram at 234. Booted this fine and ran prime95 torture test for 8 hours no errors. I have since bumped the FSB to 268, which puts the ram at 241 with the same timings. This also is 10 hours prime95 torture test stable.

Two days ago I couldn't get the memory higher that 235 but now it is stable at 241 - is this burn-in?

Also I moved my video card to the second pci-e slot and that seems to have cooled the cpu by a couple degrees, but it still runs extremely hot even at idle.

I flashed the Bios on my XFX 6800GT to an 6800Ultra bios which auto sets the clock at 400/1100. The card still hits 90 degrees when running 3dmark05. Anyone know neweggs policy on returning video cards and psu's?

I have posted two cpu-Z screenies and one from my video card showing that it is recognized as a 6800Ultra. You can also see the idle temps on the thing ar approaching 70 degrees.

If it is newer geil ultra x the ram will not be stable no matter what overclocked i know cuz i just went through it all the geil ultra x 3200 i returned it to new egg for a refund and got OCZ 4000 vx gold and it was stable up to 2.55 right off the bat prime and memtest there is your answer trust me its the geil. and this ocz runs at 2-2-2-6 at 3.3v its great i love it. its the ocz extreme voltage 2x512 i think its the best stuff out for timmings and stability.

I think this memory jst requires a lot of burn-in. Everytime I let it go for 8-10 hours occt/prime95 at a setting that is stable I can come back and bump it up more to where it wouldn't have been stbale before and it is now stable. If that makes any sense.

Right now I'm running FSB 275 and memory at 247.5 2-2-2-6 perfectly stable. Super Pi 1M calculation is 34s, 2m is 78s.

I will let this run through the night and I'm betting that I can push the ram above 250 tommorrow without issue.