Sign in to follow this  
AndyOCZ

4v NF4 Jumper Worrying You? Try This Trick!

I have 20-pin Antec True Power 480W pluged to dfi without any 20 to 24 connectors and it's stable even in these settings

[email protected] 1,58V , gskill pc4400 gble 2x512 @ 294 2,5-3-3-6-1T

but the question is ... can I use it safely with winbond bh5 2 x 512 and 3.4V and higher , will it work without 24 pin PSU ???

OK,

My rig is currently stable enough to allow me to post this... Haven't stressed it yet, but will report back with my findings.

Current set up is: 11x260 on PC4000 VX. DVM reads 3.55V at the 24 pin connector as shown in AndyOCZ's post, Genie BIOS voltage set to 3.4V, which is what it is reporting, but oddly enough, the DVM reports 3.33V when measured at the DIMM socket (probe in 7th pin from No. 1).

Anyone got any ideas as to why the DIMM socket would report lower voltages than the BIOS? I should add that the DIMM voltage was checked in slot 1 (top yellow), and not in the slots that are populated... Might this have anything to do with it?

What do Angry and RGone think of this? Or the rest of you for that matter :nod:

I have 20-pin Antec True Power 480W pluged to dfi without any 20 to 24 connectors and it's stable even in these settings

[email protected] 1,58V , gskill pc4400 gble 2x512 @ 294 2,5-3-3-6-1T

but the question is ... can I use it safely with winbond bh5 2 x 512 and 3.4V and higher , will it work without 24 pin PSU ???

I think you ARE TAKING A BIG CHANCE NOT RUNNING WITH A RECOMMENDED PSU.... But it seems to be holding out for you.

BH-5 and the like requires good clean power, and lots of it. Just something to consider. Good luck ;)

Ok A_G, AndyOCZ or RGone,

I have been messing around with this little trick, but seem to be having power supply issues...

At present, DVM reports 3.58V at the 24 pin ATX, 3.44V at the DIMM while in BIOS, and 3.33 to 3.35V at the DIMM while running memtest (3.3V rail still reads 3.58 at the 24 pin ATX connector). That is .11V of a difference, which seems to be causing me some errors in Test 7. All other tests pass no bother...

As AndyOCZ says, 3.5 - 3.6V on the 3.3V rail has been tested and proven as safe as or safer that the 5V jumper. Do you guys think that the risk outweighs the benefits if I bump the 3.3V rail any higher, or should I go back to the 5V jumper? Which would be harder on the mobo?

TIA,

G

Ok A_G, AndyOCZ or RGone,

I have been messing around with this little trick, but seem to be having power supply issues...

At present, DVM reports 3.58V at the 24 pin ATX, 3.44V at the DIMM while in BIOS, and 3.33 to 3.35V at the DIMM while running memtest (3.3V rail still reads 3.58 at the 24 pin ATX connector). That is .11V of a difference, which seems to be causing me some errors in Test 7. All other tests pass no bother...

As AndyOCZ says, 3.5 - 3.6V on the 3.3V rail has been tested and proven as safe as or safer that the 5V jumper. Do you guys think that the risk outweighs the benefits if I bump the 3.3V rail any higher, or should I go back to the 5V jumper? Which would be harder on the mobo?

TIA,

G

If the PSU is staying solid at 3.58v, you don't nave a PSU issue. Your board might be sagging, but I never trust the hardware sensor readings on any board.

You might have some other issue, like some BIOS timings that are off. Here are my recommendations:

Try the 510-2 BIOS as I am having great luck with it while using the yellow slots.

Please try these timings for tesing with 2 sticks and individually:

enable

16 or 14

0648, 2560 or 3120 (0648 has worked on many systems)

auto

enabled

auto

level 8

level 2

auto

disable

disable

In Genie Bios

240 (get stable here and try higher)

auto

16 16

7 (for testing)

disable

1.500v

1.300v (This is about 1.57v, if you need more do not go past 1.45v here, use more the 123% below, there is a reason )

above VID * 123%

1.30v

1.70v

3.4v (use what voltage you are getting with the mod as is)

Let us know how it goes.

Any chance of working with DFI to get those increments reduced to 0.05v in a future BIOS update?

Those of us with VX ram would love to be able to work with smaller voltage increases.

If you want a small bump in VDIMM, the later beta BIOS have a feature that reads like "If it's not 3.2v" or something odd like that. This adds a .03v bump to your setting. It's useful for getting a smidge more voltage and will work with any voltage setting.

Edit: Yes .03 not .3 :)

If you want a small bump in VDIMM, the later beta BIOS have a feature that reads like "If it's not 3.2v" or something odd like that. This adds a .3v bump to your setting. It's useful for getting a smidge more voltage and will work with any voltage setting.

I will watch out for it in the future. I finally got my VX up to 255Mhz with the 310p BIOS so I think I will wait a while before playing around with another BIOS.

This adds a .3v bump to your setting. It's useful for getting a smidge more voltage and will work with any voltage setting.

I think ya mean .03v :)

So this has been proven safe right?

I have a PC Power and Cooling PSU, the BIOS reports a 12.02 +12v, but the Smartguardian reports a 11.83.....neat. Which to trust? Also since I will be using Redline, Mushkin says I need 3.3-3.4v for them to hit their rated speeds. I'd like to get to 3.2 to work, but I'm betting 3.3 is more likely. I will just need to up my PSU 3.3 to 3.4 to get 3.3 right?

So this has been proven safe right?

I have a PC Power and Cooling PSU, the BIOS reports a 12.02 +12v, but the Smartguardian reports a 11.83.....neat. Which to trust? Also since I will be using Redline, Mushkin says I need 3.3-3.4v for them to hit their rated speeds. I'd like to get to 3.2 to work, but I'm betting 3.3 is more likely. I will just need to up my PSU 3.3 to 3.4 to get 3.3 right?

This has been tested by many customers and the DFi-Street staff and has been proven to work fine and is less stressful on the board.

If you have a Digital Volt Meter you can measure the PSU voltage directly as shown in post #1.

To get 3.3v actual to the memory you will need about 3.4-3.45v. You can use the DDR voltage reading in the BIOS to see your results.