4v NF4 Jumper Worrying You? Try This Trick!

ok did the jumper setting as shown on pic but....

with the 3.3+ line set to 3.5v and bios vdimm set to 3.4, the bios voltage reading on the vdimm shows only 3.31v and measuring the vdimm point on the board itself reads 3.33v. but angry_games only need 3.45v on the psu for vdimm to run at 3.4v?

3.4v was angry_games specifications. It all depends on your specifications (eg. setup, type of ram, overclock).

I was able to get everything up and running fine after doing the following:

-switching the 4v rail little jumper i was using (the blue jumper that came with my board) with a better hard drive slave/master jumper

-following angry_games and Rgone's specifications for bios (search)

-rebooting several times

I once had my psu 3.3v rail exactly at 3.30v...then upon rebooting it went down to 3.28v. so I have now set it at 3.33v

this stuff can get confusing :nod:

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question. When you jumper the switch to use the 4V option, do you still have the option in the BIOS to set the memory to anything you want, or does it have to be above 3.2V only?

I'm having a problem with this. I am using 3.2V now anyway, so I thought that it wouldn't be a big deal to switch the jumper back to the 3.3V selection. However, when testing my RAM, it is failing big time (tens of thousands of errors in memtest #5). When I switch it back to the 5V selection, I get no errors at all. I have tried this several times without changing anything. I also tried boosting the RAM voltate by .1V. No difference.

CJ

I have a question. When you jumper the switch to use the 4V option, do you still have the option in the BIOS to set the memory to anything you want, or does it have to be above 3.2V only?

You have all the original choices, but also 3.3v to 4v in .1v increments.

You have all the original choices, but also 3.3v to 4v in .1v increments.

Any chance of working with DFI to get those increments reduced to 0.05v in a future BIOS update?

Those of us with VX ram would love to be able to work with smaller voltage increases.

Your ram has gotten used to the big juice now. It eats alot now and it can't go on eating little. That's what I think, but I could be wrong.

Thanks, but I don't think that's it. I was running at 3.2V with the 5V jumper set with no errors and stayed at 3.2V when I switched back to the 3.3V jumper and have tens of thousands of errors.

CJ

that thing > Enermax 495AX PSU got adjustable 3.3 volt rail? Nope? Then when you swap from 5 volt jumpering back to the 3.3Volt jumpering the voltage is likely lessened and you start errors is the only thing I can think of myself. For years the power supplies that I have seen only put out 3.26 to 3.28 on the 3.3 volt rail as read by the motherboards them selves and that is not enough to put out a full 3.2 volts to the memory, but the 5v jumpered side is dropping voltage to 3.2V from a full 5Volt source and I think that is what you see. Or at least what I have seen when I did it myself. Now I have my 3.3V turned up at power supply enough to overcome the trace voltage drops. All I know. All I can say.

RGone...

Thanks, but I don't think that's it. I was running at 3.2V with the 5V jumper set with no errors and stayed at 3.2V when I switched back to the 3.3V jumper and have tens of thousands of errors.

CJ

I was thinking when you have it set at 4V, maybe that setting stabilizes the system somehow (in an invisible way) even though your memory was set to run at 3.2V. Long before you set it to the 4V option, what memory were you using at that time (and what settings) and did you have errors at that time?

that thing > Enermax 495AX PSU got adjustable 3.3 volt rail? Nope? Then when you swap from 5 volt jumpering back to the 3.3Volt jumpering the voltage is likely lessened and you start errors is the only thing I can think of myself. For years the power supplies that I have seen only put out 3.26 to 3.28 on the 3.3 volt rail as read by the motherboards them selves and that is not enough to put out a full 3.2 volts to the memory, but the 5v jumpered side is dropping voltage to 3.2V from a full 5Volt source and I think that is what you see. Or at least what I have seen when I did it myself. Now I have my 3.3V turned up at power supply enough to overcome the trace voltage drops. All I know. All I can say.

RGone...

I'm not sure if I can adjust the rails internally or not. The 3.3V rail reads 3.380 with a Fluke DMM, so I figured that it was enough to supply 3.2V to the DIMMS, but maybe not. If I knew how to read the voltage directly from the DIMMS, I'd try it, but I'm not sure how.

At least I have the memory stable at 250MHz 2-2-2-6, 1t at 3.1V. Just wish I could get it to boot with the CPU at anything higher than stock!

Thanks,

CJ

I was thinking when you have it set at 4V, maybe that setting stabilizes the system somehow (in an invisible way) even though your memory was set to run at 3.2V. Long before you set it to the 4V option, what memory were you using at that time (and what settings) and did you have errors at that time?

I had some older Crucial 3200 RAM before at 2.8V before I set the jumper. Had it around 220MHz without errors.

Can't remember if I ran the BH-5 before changing it over.

CJ