Sign in to follow this  
dopke

"value" memory OK for just minimal/mild overclock?

Hi, I plan on building a rig in the next couple of weeks using the Ultra-D board with the 3000+ Venice chip. If I only plan on OCing to about 2.3-2.4 ghz- or maybe even less than that, do I really need the $200.00+ memory? I plan on getting 1GB of (2x512). Is value memory ($80.00-$120.00) good enough for what I plan to do? Also, if so, then which value series memory should I go for?

I've read some good things about the OCZ VX Value memory, and maybe Mushkin Enhanced? http://shop4.outpost.com/product/3602905.

Thanks.

you can get the ocz value vx from newegg for about $105 and for me it is doing 245 with 2-2-2-5 timings. out of all the value ram i have tried i would say it is by far the best deal. it does like some volts but with the dfi board thats not a problem. just make sure you take the time to burn them in and you will be more than happy.

You can hit lucky with value ram, if it uses decent chips. The only problem is knowing what to look out for and checking the chips before you buy them, otherwise its a gamble...

Not long ago some guy was sellin some cheap Ram-Bo(Hong Kong brand ;)) sticks real cheap on UK Ebay that were BH-5's. I got a cheap 512mb stick myself that uses BT-D43 that shouldn't have a problem with 250mhz at looser timings. Then again, i got stung with this Twinmos which uses crappy Powerchip CADT :rolleyes: Won't run with CPC enabled for anything, even underclocked...

If you really wanna go cheap the above^^ is a good suggestion, or you could hunt round Ebay for likely candidates and email the sellers asking what the chip numbers are ;)

Guest burningrave101

You could just run a memory divider to keep your memory speed at stock speeds and purchase some cheaper Corsair Value Select memory. The tighter timings and increased bandwidth of higher performance memory wont really affect performance much. Raw CPU speed is all that really affects real world performance with Athlon 64's.

You could just run a memory divider to keep your memory speed at stock speeds and purchase some cheaper Corsair Value Select memory. The tighter timings and increased bandwidth of higher performance memory wont really affect performance much. Raw CPU speed is all that really affects real world performance with Athlon 64's.

Yeah, that's what I read on another forum. I originally planned on getting one of those LL $200.00 pairs of ram, but after reading about how real-world performance gain was only a couple fps, I decided to go for value. So value would be okay? I don't plan on doing extreme overcloking or benching to get high scores and what not, just want to get some extra out of the 3000+ instead of paying for $50.00 more for a 3200+. And then just getting a stable system go game on :)

Is value memory ($80.00-$120.00) good enough...

If that's a pricetag of "value memory", gold must be cheaper than memory there!

These poor 512MB modules I'm using were about 75€ piece when I bought them... but I see now similar cheap modules sold at 25€ piece! If I would get quality memory with pricetag 100€ I would still opt out for these "El Cheapo" modules - Difference in prices is simply just too big for me.

Opinions may vary, but personnally I can't see a point to OC, unless I can actually feel the speed increase in every day usage. Nowadays that's not so easy to achieve than with older hardware, so no OC for me. Yes, I do realize there's enthusiasts who are dying to get one last MHz more and they're willing to spend all their savings for it... :D

DFIs top of range board and value memory just doesn't play nicely....

Why buy a top performing board and stick middle of the road components in it. This board is picky with RAM and I have seen numerous threads on here where peoples problems have been down to cheap memory. Buy decent memory (although the OCZ Value VX does seem pretty good). Corsairs VS memory doesn't work too well with this board...

DFIs top of range board and value memory just doesn't play nicely....

Why buy a top performing board and stick middle of the road components in it. This board is picky with RAM and I have seen numerous threads on here where peoples problems have been down to cheap memory. Buy decent memory (although the OCZ Value VX does seem pretty good). Corsairs VS memory doesn't work too well with this board...

Why? Because the DFI Ultra-D board is just about the same price as ASUS and MSI boards that are s939 non-SLI nforce4Ultra. The DFI was even cheaper by about 3-4 dollars last week when it was on sale at Newegg. And right now, the DFI is the cheapest: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductCompa...N82E16813130484

And seeing that the DFI has great tech support and that there is this forum to try and get problems solved, I don't see any reason to go to ASUS or MSI (who also have problems). Am I not making a reasonable case? Or am I missing something here. Also, for personal reasons as I am building a quiet PC, reviews have said that the MSI chipset fan is very loud, and reviews of the DFI say that their fan is not so loud.

Also, as you said it, and I have read that the board is picky with RAM, that is why I posted this up. So I guess the OCZ VX would be a good fit for my situation?

I'm currently using corsair value select 2X512mb pc3200.

$80

http://chiefvalue.com/app/productdetails.asp?item=20-145-440

1T, 2.5-3-3-8, interleave enabled

venice 3000

266 X 9 = 2.4ghz cpu

266 X 3 HTT = 800

266 X 3/4 = 200mhz memory

cpu 1.425, 110%

memory 2.9v

temps: 35 idle, 42 under prime95 load

prime95 18 hrs stable, occt 30 min passed,

memtest 6 hrs no errors.

3dmark01: 24120 (stock: 20751)

3dmark03: 10802 (stock: 10202)

3dmark05: 4886 (stock: 4763)

Aquamark: 67583

I've only been running stable for about 5 days now. I'm going to give it another week and start lowering voltages. I think I can get vdimm down to 2.7v and probably back off the cpu to 104%

So value memory works ok so far. I would definitely go with a 3200 though over the 3000 for that 10X multiplier. That was my biggest mistake. It's worth the extra $50.

I also would look at some TCCD for only $100 more over value select:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820146890

Up to if you think it is worth it being able to run 1:1 and tighter timings.

Interesting read/charts here: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/di...z-ddr600_4.html

More specifically, take a look at the FSB200/DDR400 and FSB300/DDR400 results at 2.5-3-3-6 compared to the looser timed FSB300/DDR600. It's closer than one would think.

Fact is, 2.5-3-3-8 value ram can perform very well with a divider. And, I doubt you'll see a difference between 170 fps and 180fps. Your benchies will look good though if that is what you are concerned with.....

I settled on the medium timings @DDR504 in my signature because, the performance difference is peanuts than with loosely timed high HTT. The machine simply feels snappier to me at my compromised settings, but that's probably just me.....

m :)

There is no reason to run 1-1 if it means your limiting your cpu.

My ram cost 103 bucks and runs 236 mhz while my cpu runs at 2600.

260x109=236 bus speed.

I could run 2360 at 1-1 but then I'd be a lot slower.

You've got 5/6 3/4 and 1/2 dividers. Ram speed isn't a factor when it comes to oc'ing your cpu.

The value vx sounds good but I doubt everybody gets 245. Twinmos speed premiums would probably be good but they don't come as matched pairs. I got the 2x512 cadt's but I'd hardly say they suck even at 2-3-3-8. The mushkin blueline from fry's are supposed to be new bh5 which could even get you to 250ish.

I'd go here and read up some

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/forumdisplay.php?f=199

A lot of the oc forums have ram specific categories you can check out. Good luck and hopefully your venice will do better than 2.3. :nod: