[Resolved] NF4 - PFN_LIST_Corrupt **Stop:0x0000004E

Hey, I'm a nubbin building my first machine and i've been trolling for 4 days while putting it together.

First, I wanted to say hello and thanks for all the random and indirect help you all have given me through my searches on these boards. Without it I couldn't have made it this far.

I was hoping that I could get a little help for my Blue Screen Error PFN_LIST_Corrupt.

From what I have read on these boards, it may be a memory issue? and Also that Corsair XMS may be the culprit. (even tho 16% of the people polled on angry's thread are using corsair memory).

BACKGROUND STORY:

A pile of crap comes in from new egg.

I put it together.

It looks pretty.

I boot it up.

(in a nutshell, its an unformatted drive in a machine built entirely from new parts)

Everytime I power up i get one short beep from the motherboard (attached speaker).

(this is a DRAMM error?)

I get the logo splash (disabled since)

I get a quick blackscreen list, then another blackscreen list and then

Verifying DMI Pool Data_

Backup CMOS OK!

In order to install Windows XP Pro, I set the DVD drive to be the #1 Bootup, the Floppy as #2, and my WD Raptor as #3 in BIOS.

So now I get...

Booting from CD_

Verifying Windows etc.....

I can load drivers off F6 from the Floppy which I have tried.

And then after hitting ENTER to install Windows I get:

BSoD: PFN_LIST_Corrupt

Please understand that I am relative new to this, so if you give me advice like "test your memory" or "check/change your voltages" please tell me HOW to do it in BIOS or a link to instructions would be appreciated.

Other Info that can help you help me:

The drive probably has not been formatted. I bought it OEM. I have no way of formatting it on another machine. It is hooked up using SATA power directly from PSU and SATA cable to SATA 1 on MoBo.

The RAM are in slots #2 and #4. I did nothing except put it in and start it up. No Bios tweaks.

My PSU seems to squeak by the requirements.

I was able to load the drivers into windows using F6 when asked. I have learned on these boards that i DO NOT need to go to F6 to use a single SATA drive. Not loading the drivers results in the same error.

I DO have access to some PC2700 DDR 184 pin ram. Not sure of the manufacturer..maybe kingston...I can try but won't unless its recommended.

Thanks in advance for any help!

i had exactly the same issued. install with 1 mem stick only. install windows then update bios. in order for me to run my pc in dual channel i had to set cpc to disabled under genie bios settings in dram control i think. i had the exact same problem as u. after moving files from cd to windows it says hit enter to install windows. then i would get blue screen with ur error message.

thanks indie and venus

Indie, thats exactly what happens to me. I will try one stick.

Venus, I have tried without loading the drivers, it still fails.

How do I do a Memtest86?

install 1 stick and disable cpc for the time being. get windows installed first. then update bios to the latest on dfi website. once thats done i think memtest is in the new bios under genie bios settings. then u can try to enable cpc and other settings

install 1 stick and disable cpc for the time being. get windows installed first. then update bios to the latest on dfi website. once thats done i think memtest is in the new bios under genie bios settings. then u can try to enable cpc and other settings

ok, here comes the noob part:

what is cpc?

How do i disable cpc?

cpc is under genie bios setting and then dram setting i think. its in the top somewhere near the top. all information about what does what are in the stickies. i have to read thru them as well :)