Sign in to follow this  
Stevedub

Question about clearing the CMOS

When you clear the cmos, do you loose everthing on your hdd? I've had to do this a few times in the past, and I can never get back to windows, it always tells me to insert a copy of windows

If you clear the CMOS correctly, and don't dork the BIOS in the process, you SHOULD NOT HAVE TO RE-INSTALL WINDOWS!

The only reason I can think that you would have to re-install is if you forget to re enable the RAID funtion in the BIOS, or something like that...

I have had to reset my CMOS 3 or 4 times in the last few days, but have yet to have to re install...

Just be sure you have re enabled all the BIOS options you using before you flashed, and also disable the ones you had disabled before the flash or reset.

No. What you're seeing is either a reordering of the boot devices or a change in recognizing your RAID array.

Are those SATA drives in RAID config? If so, I can't offer much help.

If they are not, what you are probably seeing is the BIOS not looking at the proper drive for booting. Go in, and check the order.

Now when clearing the cmos, the proper proceedure is to unplug and de-power, then move the jumper, leave for a min or so, then move back? Is this correct?

First, load optimized defaults in the BIOS. Never flash while overclocked. Then follow your procedure. Wouldn't hurt to ground yourself, also.