which bios is best for you? some things to think about in overclocking

i apologize everyone...i thought the thread was still open.

please do not use this thread as a question-board for your individual bioses. We have many threads for that. This thread should be used to discuss the things we talk about in the first couple of posts instead.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get the feeling that these differences in the way the components work with eachother has to do with maufacturing tolerances. It does not make sense that identical systems do react differently to overclocking, and I am not just talking about the CPU here.

Every electronic component has manufacturing tolerences, and there are a lot on any mainboard. I suspect that these variances in tolerence is what gives a mainboard "personality".

I do not anything on how a bios is written, but I have played with some chipset programming to modify things for performance. I quickly learned not to mess with it if you do not have an intimate knowledge of what your doing.

I do not know what subtle changes these different bios's have between them, and am leary at this point to try them just to gain some minor gain in performance. I got a good running system now, but am still tweaking it.

All i can say is do not try and OC your cpu and mem together it is so much of a headache cause you cant tell which one is failing! Take your time (patience being the key word here) and up things slowly till you find an instalbility and back it down and then find your max for your other component. It takes time but it is worth it and it will take far longer then a day or two or a week!

Patience will get you far! And find all the guides you can and read them again and again and again! Just my .02

I have one question, is there a source available that describes what changes are made in the bios revisions? For example, there is supposed to be more than one 3/10 bios, is there a way to dind out what differences there are?

i think it would help to determine what bios is best for your application, perhaps.

I have one question, is there a source available that describes what changes are made in the bios revisions? For example, there is supposed to be more than one 3/10 bios, is there a way to dind out what differences there are?

i think it would help to determine what bios is best for your application, perhaps.

This link kinda tells you the differences/changes between them, there was another link that was more informative but I can't remember where it is.

331-1 is the best Bios for me. I could oc my DFI to 453Mhz(HTT) with 4x multiplier, memory divider 1/02, 3.5vdimm and 1.52vcore. 310(official) is a 'no go' for me to reach 453Mhz (HTT) with the same setting as above. For 509-2, I could oc to 400Mhz only with the same setting as above. I did not try 510 series of Bios as I think 331-1 is the best for me(Period)

101% agree - patience is the key

For some like Rgone and Angry sez the 510 bios didnt work - but for me it did the trick :>

now running 250x10 1:1 @ 1.52v - more than happy with that

I dont get the extra memory bandwidth I did with these components on an different mainboard so I am happy stable 2.5-4-4-7/1T @ 2.9v - it took me a total of 2 weeks to get this setup running on my MSI diamond board - on this board the patience has finally paid off with around 2months worktime involved! :>

I dont get the extra memory bandwidth I did with these components

you guys MUST STOP WORRYING ABOUT MEMORY BANDWIDTH/FSB!!!!

cpu mhz is what you are after with the A64

period

cpu mhz

not FSB/memory mhz

CPU MEGAHERTZ

that is the most important thing with A64's.

that is why you can run a divider like DDR180/166 and crank up the cpu mhz and get even better benches than you did with a lower mhz 1:1 memory ratio.

totally agree angry - please dont get angry with me though ;>, my CPU is only capable of 2500mhz which is why i use that combination.......

memory and FSB is the only think I can tweak :<

but yer - MORE CPU MHZ - tis the reason i'm selling me FX-53 and swapping for a 3200+

Hey Angry,

So you advocate running asynch memory (with a divider) and a higher CPU Mhz as better performance than a lower CPU Mhz at 1:1? Only reason I ask specifically is because I've always heard it's better to run the memory 1:1 and have been reluctant to use a divider on my setup (but I've been running Intel for a while).