[Resolved] DFI SLI-DR and video issue

I have some kind of conflict with my BFG 6800GT and my SLI-DR board. I've been tweaking stuff for days and nothing works. The BFG techs can't explain it, so I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction, or any direction for that matter.

When I boot my DR with the 6800gt connected to my LCD, as soon as I can see the bios text I can see this wavering or flickering. Once I hit windows it's far more noticable as the backround has some color to it. However, if I drop the resolution to something under 1600x1200 (the native res for the LCD panel) it goes away. I know it's not the panel as I've been using it for a year with my old rig, no problem. I even went out and bought a 6600gt and switched it out with the 6800gt, and the 6600 works just fine. Called BFG, they suggested I RMA it. So I did. When the new card came in it does the exact same thing.

It can't really be a driver issue cause I get it strait at boot (before loading windows), but I have used a few different versions. I've also tried the 310s, 310ps, 414s and the 510s with no change. All four power connectors are hooked to the MB, and the card is running of the dedicated PCI-Express power cable. Card temps are in the 50s. Tried moving the PCI-express bus to 101mhz. Enabled PCI-ex spread spectrum, everything not in use on the board is disabled.

It seems the combination of BFG6800GTs and my SLI-DR board just doesn't work, and I'm out of things to try. Anyone have any ideas?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange, I have 2 BFG 6800GTs with the same board, and I too have issues, but of a different kind.

I think there's definitely some kind of incompatibility or problem specifically between the BFG 6800 cards and the NF4 SLI-DR. I am not sure about other manufacturers, but what brand of 6600 GT did you buy? Was it also a BFG? If you RMA'ed the old BFG 6800 and they sent you a new one and it does the same thing, that's a pretty good indicator.

I have problems with cold boots in DVI with my hp l2335 23 inch widescreen monitor and BFG cards. It's as if the DFI board somehow isn't sending the signal strongly enough to drive the monitor out of powersave mode. This however is all eliminated by using an analog VGA cable. Have you tried using a regular analog D-sub cable to see if that eliminates the wavering?

Guest Angus

I had the same problems and just fixed the issue by using a different outlet on the opposite side of my room. i figured this out after a weeks worth of tweaking and 200 dollars down the drain...

No I haven't yet tried an analog connector as neither the monitor nor the card have them (I got the dual DVI one..oops).

Yeah the 6600gt I used was a BFG as well and it worked fine, but both 6800GTs give me issues. I was thinking it might have something to due with the PCI-Express power cable as the 6600s don't need/use them. I don't have another board to test it on though.

btw, I forgot to mention the wavering is only up the middle of the panel. Both the right and left sides are crystal clear.

Weird.

Guest Angus

btw, everything you are describing is exactly how it was on my machine

Guest Angus
btw, everything you are describing is exactly how it was on my machine

BASHES HEAD INTO WALL. I was using my brother's crt vga at 1600x1200...

plugged in my dell 2001fp dvi and same problems... fudge brownies

You my friend are a freaking genius. Popped it in another socket and everything is running smooth.

This thing has been driving me nuts. I'm swimming in cards right now (2x6800GTs and a 6600gt, not to mention my old 5900U).

You rock man. This had really been holding me back from migrating the rest of my progs and data to the new machine.

Does Angry add the resolved tag, or can I just edit the subject myself. If this was getting us, it's gotta be bothering others as well.

Guest Angus

i switched back to my dvi lcd and same probs, used the dvi-vga adapter and everythign is good now.

Well, I should note that it isn't totally gone (you jinxed me Angus :) ). At desktop I can't see it, but if I open IE and expand my favorites to where there are side expandable containers.. as I move the mouse up and down highlighting links the Sparkles follow my mouse.

I'm gonna grab a server grade APC ups from work and see if some cleaner power makes a difference. At least know I know where to start digging.

Guest Angus

try the adapter that came with ur card for dvi-vga and plug the vga cable from ur lcd to the adapter and tell me if it happens again. i feel like im about to bite into this problem and be finished with it.