[moved to BIOS Factory section] NF4 5/10 Beta BIOS

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys for all the helpful posts in this thread. tried the 510-1, after three days of tweaking, it's prime95 stable for >7hrs. once I hit the magic 24 hour mark on prime95, will jot down the mem settings I have (should I put it in this thread?) Then will try 510-2 (sounds like some people are having greater success with 510-2 and TCCD mem), and then 510-3 (I know I should have tried 510-3 first but I just like going in order).

I hope someone can help me.

I have just upgraded to the 510-3 bios. I've also just got a new 3200+ Venice cpu.

The PC is 100% stable @ DDR600 1T 2.5-4-4-7.

StressCPU Stable

SuperPI

3DMark03

Memtest

I was playing around with the inbuilt memtest, and found that my Geil Ultra-X was memtest stable at DDR612 @ 1T 2.5-4-4-8 !!!! I was thinking this is awesome. I then booted into XP and ran SuperPI 1MB to find that it failed pretty quickly.

So is memtest worth using at all? I was under the impression that it found errors in your memory better than anything else. I'm beginning to think what is the point of using memtest.

The Geil Ultra-X is TCCD memory. What's roughly the max overclock I should get with Cas2.5 and Cas3.0? How to test properly, as memtest is a bit dodgy.

Or it just me?

any one?

i always use this combination to test for stability:

1. memtest first. always.

2. installing windowsXP SP2 (if not stable enough to do this, install it at stock speeds anyway)

3. prime95 for minimum 8 hours

4. 3dmark 2001, 2003, 2005

5. Aquamark3

6. a real game or two (heavy duty ones like Doom3, Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 (sensitive to overclocks), and Chronicles of Riddick, CoD, HL2 etc.

once you have it all stable, then go back and install Windows XP SP2 one more time from scratch. Installing windows is a system stress and will sometimes show up little nagging errors that you might not see in benches etc.

real-world tests like games, ripping music/movies, burning cd's, installing Windows, etc are always better than synthetics...but I use synthetic tests to figure out if im where I am supposed to be enough to use real-world tests ;)

Thanks for your help Protostar & pershoot.

But still no luck for me. My machine still gives me the "Drive A Error. System halted" error, after the "BIOS ROM Checksum Error". I can't even boot off a floppy to flash back to my old BIOS!

I have tried 3 different floppy drives, that are working in other machines, and the same amount of floppy cables. I have removed my SLi setup, and all my hard drives, and have just one graphics card (slot 1), one stick of RAM and the floppy drive connected to my board!

I have tried clearing the CMOS all the ways described here, to no avail. Pulling my hair out as I type !!! :(

Why do you use AM3? It's so "sensitive" that it'll run through even if SuperPi 1M fails... or at least close to that.

I can bench it with at least 50MHz more on CPU and 20MHz more on GPU than what I'd call "stable".

But you're right on HL2, it's quite picky.

I've personally found 3dmark05 to be the most sensitive so far, I was able to go through HL2 completely on settings that didn't make it through 3dmark05.510-1 wasn't prime-95 stable for me for that magical 24 hour mark (I tried for 2 days to get it stable, no go). I'm going to see if 510-3 is more stable (510-2 wasn't even close, had to scale back real far in my oc to even try to run prime-95, and then it'd crap out on me before the first runs were even finished). I know I'm not giving the bios enough time to see if I could find a sweet spot, but I just want to see if the same settings that gave me close to stable in 510-1 will give me close to or more stable in 510-3. I won't know if I've found my go-to bios until 22 hours from now :(

AG, I got a question, how many passes of memtest do you run before you go to superpi? I've been skipping the memtest (on mild overclock changes, on heavy ones/new bios I run it once) and going straight to 3dmark05 (:smack: but it's the fastest way I've found of seeing if minor changes are good or not). Thanks for any advice :-)

I tend to use the SuperPI 1M test to see if the PC is faster than before. No sense in testing new settings for stability if the setup is slower than before.

The new bios's are not good for my setup, ive tried them all (the tccd relevant ones) and the settings in my sig which are 100% stable are NOT attainable.

I loose about 5mhz on the HTT speed, aint got a clue whts changed in these bios's to cause tht. Im currently using the 414-1

I'm a little picky with my stable test. I use Prime95 for 24 hours. So far I havent found any setup with 510-3 that works. best I have gotten is 9 hours before an error. I passed memtest for a couple hours, but now I'm going back to that and see if I can run it for a day or more to see if the error I'm getting is RAM.