Getting Past 4Ghz

Hi everyone,

Need some help please overclocking my Pentium 4 650 (3.4Ghz) past 4Ghz. Using Clockgen I can set the fsb up to 240 (giving 240*17 = 4080Mhz) and can SuperPi, stock VCore. When I try 245mhz, I get errors, and sometimes lockups/reboots.

I've tried with increasing VCore, up to 1.475, but a bit pensive to go higher as I'm still on air-cooling, but even so I thought this CPU should do a bit more, at least 4.2Ghz from seeing others results. I mean, I see 640's doing 4.4Ghz on the box cooler. I know I can't always expect the same results as others, but I'm sure my 650 should have 4.2Ghz in it.

In the BIOS I've set my mem (TCCD) to 1:1 (DDR400) and timings 3-4-4-8

I've disabled cpc adressing, and speed spectrum. Oh, and it is the Beta 3/25 version. I can't find where to disable C1E or EIST.

Are there any other BIOS settings I should enable/disable?

Also, is there a version of Motherboard Monitor which works for the 875P-T?

Just a couple of shots-in-the-dark here. Increase your VAGP to 1.8. This mobo needs NB voltage when running TCCD mem. Also, most TCCD mem is more comfortable at 2.5,3,3,7 timings. Even though looser timings seem like a good idea, not very many TCCD mem likes them as loose as you have them. Try mem voltage at 2.8v. Maybe even 2.9. Run Memtest, see if you are getting errors on Tests #5 & #7. If so, your issue is mem timings/voltage or Vagp related.

What are your CPU temps at load at 1.475v? Some of these procs need more voltage then others. In order for me to hold 280fsb I have to use up to 1.625v. 275fsb needs 1.585v. But not all procs are that way.

Thanks, I'll give the VAGP a try, and the timings. Will memtest too as soon as I have a FDD to make a bootable disk. Didn't think the mem might be holding me back since it was rock solid for 250Mhz 2.5-3-3-8 and default VAGP in my ABit IC7-Max3.

I'm a bit weary of increasing vcore more since my temps were already in the 40 region. I'll spend the weekend fixing up my watercooling and once that is done I'll play around some more with the vcore. I wanted to find my max with the stock cooler and was a bit dissapointed at hitting a wall at only 4Ghz, and I wasn't sure if it was the mobo or the CPU.

Anyone able to tell me where to disable C1E? I've searched the forum and have found out that it can be disabled, I just can't find out from where.

EDIT: I'm open to more suggestions as well. Would like to see some more BIOS tweaks and settings. :D

From the BIOS main screen, I think it is the 3 option down. Go in there and there should be an options that says CPU... something. It's in there. Enable/Disable does nothing for me.

If your mem was running 250 2.5,3,3,8 on your Max3, it should do similar on the 875P-T. My TCCD ran 2.5,3,3,7 @275 mo my Max 3 and does the same on this 875P-T. But it takes a whole lot more Vagp to get there.

If your temps are 40c under load then you are OK. I am running at 44c~48C load @ 277fsb 1.6v

Running on air the cpu should start to throttle at 60-65C and will not go higher in temp.You are still in the 40s so if the ram is ok you might need a bit more Vcore.My 640 needs lots of volts and lots of cooling to get to 4.4G and even with 2 xp120s I get throttling with dual prime95.

You might also need to disable CPC addr/control in advanced features.

Thanks guys,

Tried your suggestions BigStan, didn't help unfortunately.

I've already disabled cpc addr/control, and I've pushed VCore all the way up to 1.5 and VAGP all the way up to 1.8. At the moment I don't know if it is my RAM, Mobo or CPU holding me back. I know dividers don't work so well on this mobo, but from what I've seen the problems are only after 270Mhz or so, so perhaps I'll try 5:4 divider to rule out my RAM.

I'll also try swapping dimm slots.

What do you guys think?

I won't try everything now. I'll give it a bit of a rest, and do a leak test on my Koolance watercooling. Then I'll give it another try.

Update:

With Mem at DDR320 (5:4 divider), I could SuperPi 1M at 250Mhz, I did notice a strange thing though, I set fsb to 250 in Clockgen, and then CPU-Z reports it correctly as 250Mhz, but while doing the SuperPi, it jumps up and down (in CPU-Z) from 250 to 256.

Anyway, so I think it is my memory holding me back, but I'm not sure as now I couldn't get past 250Mhz even with 5:4 (which I know is buggy), but temps did hit 50, so I'll leave it for now and try higher vcore with my watercooling. Hopefully it's not the RAM, since by local prices it's cheaper to replace my mobo for an AS8 with a working 5:4 than to get RAM which works past 240Mhz 1:1 on this one.

Anyway, were I looking for RAM to get 260 to 270 1:1 on this mobo, any suggestions?

I did notice a strange thing though, I set fsb to 250 in Clockgen, and then CPU-Z reports it correctly as 250Mhz, but while doing the SuperPi, it jumps up and down (in CPU-Z) from 250 to 256.

This is a normal. This is what makes OCing the 5xxJ and 6xx procs very tricky. You set a cpu voltage level at what ssems to make sense. Then when you put it under load the fsb jumps around. And could be jumping out of a range that is stable at the voltage levels are using at low load situations. Makes it tricky to keep it all stable.

Anyway, were I looking for RAM to get 260 to 270 1:1 on this mobo, any suggestions?

I don't generally recommend mem to ppl. But I will suggest you not use any mem like BH-5 or OCZ's VX series. They both need high voltage to shine. Even though 3.2v in the BIOS looks good, those mem need like 3.5v~3.6v to do well. And the OCZ Booster won't work on this mobo.

/edit ~ run Memtest*^ and post back wht test #s are getting errors.