Sign in to follow this  
internetrush

Hard drive selection:: NF4 NCQ??

Hey guys,

Alright im thinking of setting up raid with the harddrive below, however, im not sure atm whether the Diamond Max 10 is the hard drive for me. That hard drive costs about $120 after shipping, while the MaxlineIII series costs about $190, my question is this, is the maxline3 really worth it? According to the drive i picked out in the Diamondmax series they have NCQ... well so does the Maxline3... the only diff is the 16meg cache and the 100 extra gigs. Which i dont know if thats worth 70-80 extra dollars.

NF4 chips support NCQ right? If i Raid the drive below (not NCQ) will it hinder the NCQ of the other hard drive?

Does anyone have any scores comparing the two hard drives, ive looked on AnAndtech.com but they only have hte maxline and in their test it was only an Intel solution. Which i do not have obviously, ive looked on my normal sites and googled it but to no reputable avail.

Please help me out :).

The nF4 chipset supports SATA II. All drive types of SATA and SATA II are supported.

If you set up a RAID-0 array you will be able to use two dissimilar drives or identical drives. Angry_Games built a four drive array using three Hitachi 80GB SATA II drives and an 80GB SATA drive. The slower drive will hinder performance compared to an all SATA II array due to limited bandwidth on the SATA drive.

NCQ is a very usefull feature for increasing I/O function but the performance gain on a "normal desktop" computer is negligible at best. NCQ really hits its stride in database and file server functions. You really have to hammer it with I/O requests for it to show its stuff. Most, but not all, people simply don't use their desktop system like that.

If you really want your system to fly, try a two drive RAID-0 array with the Hitachi 80GB SATA II drives. Use your other drive for storage and let her rip.

thanks

Hitachi is a brand that ive been hesitant to buy becuase i have never heard of their performance prowess. But if you say so ill check it out.

Not that i dont like cheap prices but why is the Hitachi Drives like 60 bucks for SATA 2 tech while the Maxtors are 120 minimum?

Why is this hard drive so cheap and why can i find reviews for it?

thanks

Hitachi is a brand that ive been hesitant to buy becuase i have never heard of their performance prowess. But if you say so ill check it out.

Not that i dont like cheap prices but why is the Hitachi Drives like 60 bucks for SATA 2 tech while the Maxtors are 120 minimum?

Why is this hard drive so cheap and why can i find reviews for it?

New series T7K250 SATA II seems to be the winner here IMO.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...ctCode=100594-2

Unfortunately out of stock for now

Read the following reviews:

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-277-1.htm

http://www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/har...hitachi/T7K250/

http://www.net-forums.net/forums/Hitachi_S...iew-t21127.html

And this thread:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4177

The conclusions I draw from these are:

The Raptor is the fastest drive out there.

The Maxtor 16mb cache doesn't seem to make a big difference in performance.

A single SATA II drive is about 70-80% faster than a single SATA drive in terms of Burst Speed, but perhaps only 10-15% faster in overall read/write performance.

Two SATA II drives in RAID0 approach Raptor speeds. RAID arrays are really where you see significant gains in overall read/write speeds...almost double.

Multiple SATA II drives in RAID0 array can exceed Raptor speeds.

If you really want to optimize hard drive performance, you'll get a Raptor or at least two SATA II drives in a RAID0 array. You can buy two 80GB Hitachis for $136, or a single 36GB Raptor for $124, or a 73GB Raptor for $182. In terms of price, performance, and overall storage volume, the two SATA IIs are probably the way to go. I think the Raptors are supposed to be noisier than the Hitachis, but I don't own one, so I don't know. I just installed a 250GB Hitachi SATA II, and it is at least as quiet as my Samsung.

IBM sold their hard drive division to Hitachi a couple of years ago. Hitachi now has access to all of the IBM patents including "Pixie Dust" which makes the drives cheaper to build and store more data on the same platter size.

Hitachi is a brand that ive been hesitant to buy becuase i have never heard of their performance prowess.