Is there any reason to raise the chipset voltage when overclocking?

It seems the chipset voltages can help stability, do nothing or actually create instability in my case raising it seemed to do nothing if not make it more unstable. I believe it has to do with the type of memory used and possible the unique processor that you have. I usually just keep both the LDT and Chipset at stock with no problems despite my high HTT/mem speed.

I couldn't get 2.5ghz stable with 1.55 CPU voltage. As soon as I increased my LDT voltage to 1.4 I was able to pass prime overnight at 2.5ghz with only 1.525 CPU voltage.

Is there any danger in increasing the LDT voltage? I'm thinking about trying 1.5 LDT voltage to see if I can get 2.6 ghz stable but I need to read up on LDT voltage first to make sure I'm not gonna screw anything up lol

Raising the LDT to 1.3v and chipset to 1.7v seems to help when tightening up the "other than memory" timings that are basically chipset/memory controller timings. My boards have never become overly hot from this.

Pardon me for sounding stupid, but where in SmartGardian are you all reading the chipset temp, the one labeled PWM IC? If so, then I'm not seeing any increased temps to speak of on it with my chipset voltage at 1.8v, presently 3 C over my system temp which is 26 C.

Pardon me for sounding stupid, but where in SmartGardian are you all reading the chipset temp, the one labeled PWM IC? If so, then I'm not seeing any increased temps to speak of on it with my chipset voltage at 1.8v, presently 3 C over my system temp which is 26 C.

I lok at the one labeled "Chipset" ... ;)

I noticed a differant once at a high FSB, upping the chipset voltage got me stable so it can make a differance.

By the way, I removed the chipset cooler and replaced the nasty yellow pad with some AS5, this really helped lower my chipset temps. If I run it at 1.7v after being on all day it doesn't go above 34-35 degrees, before it was around 42-45 degrees.

Hi, I'm wondering how to actually remove the chipset hs and fan

i press down those two white prongs but it still seems pretty firm in place

Hi, I'm wondering how to actually remove the chipset hs and fan

i press down those two white prongs but it still seems pretty firm in place

Unfortunately you have to remove the motherboard from the case in order to be able to take the chipset HSF off. It's held in with to plastic pins that need to be "pinched" from the underside of the mobo so that the can be released.

OK, see if you can find one labeled Chipset on this pic of SmartGuardian on my machine. :rolleyes:

I think you need the latest version of SG...

You should be able to get it off the DFI web site

By the way, I removed the chipset cooler and replaced the nasty yellow pad with some AS5, this really helped lower my chipset temps.

Can you still use the little spring pushpins that hold it in place? Does it still have enough clamping pressure to insure a good seal, or should we use some nylon hardware (i.e. nylon nuts and washers from Fry's come to mind). Not sure how thick the pads are, but there has to be a difference from them and AS5.