Sign in to follow this  
perithimus

Is there any reason to raise the chipset voltage when overclocking?

I have it set at 1.6 right now. But the guy at OCZ sent me some settings for my 3200vx and they said to raise the chipset to 1.7. I was just not comfortable with the idle temp of 46c on my chipset, or is this temp perfectly fine?

Sometimes raising the chipset voltage can make your pc stable when you've hit high FSB speeds.

my board is stock at 1.6v and running at 42 idle. So i think it should be fine if you do raise it to 1.7, just watch the temp

your fine, just set the chipset fan so it runs full speed, for some reason DFI think its fine for the chipset to reach 55c before the fan kicks to full speed :-S

My chipset reports a temp in the 60s on Smartguardian at stock operation with 1.8v being supplied to it (per Rgone's settings). Is this too high?

I noticed a differant once at a high FSB, upping the chipset voltage got me stable so it can make a differance.

By the way, I removed the chipset cooler and replaced the nasty yellow pad with some AS5, this really helped lower my chipset temps. If I run it at 1.7v after being on all day it doesn't go above 34-35 degrees, before it was around 42-45 degrees.

I tried raising LDT and Chipset voltages above the defaults, and I cannot see any stability or overclock improvements by doing so with my rig. My HTT tops out at about 2630Mhz DDR, so 2500 might be the max stable HTT and I keep it under 2000 for 24/7 use at stock LDT and Chipset voltages. I do see temperature increases when I overvolt the LDT and Chipset. Like AG, I try to keep things down to under 60°C, though I can get my GPU a bit over 71°C if I really work at it.