Desperate for help with LP nF4 SLI-DR

Hey, welcome here rye. It's cool that you haven't exploded and blamed dfi for everything wrong in your life. Keep with it and you'll end up ok-fine. On another note.....

Thanks for the response, Booger! I'm not interested in bashing anyone; I just want to get my system stable. :-)

I would definitely look at some different memory if you can, man.

This is the second set of RAM I've used with the same issues. There's not an inherent problem with the RAM I'm using, is there?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@rye. Maybe a little history as I see you joined up May 2005. Had you been onboard the first month or two of the DFI NF4 in users hands and been in these forums, you would seen 3 posts perday urging the user to get off the Corsair and onto something workable. Now who did that posting generally? Users who sought relief from problems and went to other brands and types and had success.

So when you moved from 2x1gig sticks of Corsair> you went to 2x512 sticks of the same basic Corsair stuff again. No real change in fact. So when AG asked did you have access to 'any other' memory he was really asking had you anything besides Corsair memory to use.

Now this has been the history basically. You could go to the Corsair site and on that front page of site is a link to their forums and post there about your problems with the 'ramguy' and see how else he may advise you for your situation. They in fact do have the DFI boards on which they have tested. He has given recommended timings to some Corsair users and the like. Will it fix your problem? Don't know. But if I was you and had my understanding of the general problems> I would be running (alphabetically) THIS... or ...THIS... so that I could be moving on down the road more easily is my guess and gut level feeling.

RGone...

@rye. Maybe a little history as I see you joined up May 2005. Had you been onboard the first month or two of the DFI NF4 in users hands and been in these forums, you would seen 3 posts perday urging the user to get off the Corsair and onto something workable. Now who did that posting generally? Users who sought relief from problems and went to other brands and types and had success.

So when you moved from 2x1gig sticks of Corsair> you went to 2x512 sticks of the same basic Corsair stuff again. No real change in fact. So when AG asked did you have access to 'any other' memory he was really asking had you anything besides Corsair memory to use.

Now this has been the history basically. You could go to the Corsair site and on that front page of site is a link to their forums and post there about your problems with the 'ramguy' and see how else he may advise you for your situation. They in fact do have the DFI boards on which they have tested. He has given recommended timings to some Corsair users and the like. Will it fix your problem? Don't know. But if I was you and had my understanding of the general problems> I would be running (alphabetically) THIS... or ...THIS... so that I could be moving on down the road more easily is my guess and gut level feeling.

RGone...

I appreciate yor feedback, RGone! I'm going to order the OCZ RAM you suggested. Hopefully this will help bring my problmes to an end. What really frustrates me is that the whole reason I chose the Corsair XL is that DFI support suggested it after I was having problems with the initial set of Corsair PT. After dealing with him for a while I discovered this forum, which clearly has a better understanding of thing than he did.

Can you explain to me what could be so wrong with Corsair RAM that it'd work in many boards, but not this one? I'd really like to understand the details, if I could. Thanks again for your help!

Rye,

Give this a try...nothing to lose.

1. clear cmos (make sure unplug power cable to psu)

2. Boot and go into bios. Set to load optimized default

3. Save and reboot.

4. Go back into bios go into genie bios settings and make sure dim voltage is set to 2.7

5. Set cpu startup vid to 1.425

6. Set cpu vid to 1.425

7. Set cpu vid special to 110%

8. Go into to dram configuration settings

Make the below changes.

CAS Latency CL=2

Ras# to CAS# delay tRCD 2

Min Ras# Active Time tRAS 5

Row Precharge Time tRP 2

Disable Bank interleave.

9. Plus disable Erratta 94 and turn off cpu throttling.

I would boot to XP to see if it stable. Then run memtest86.

If XP is not stable drop dim v to 2.6 and try again.

Just to get your XP setup to finish, you should try to get into the BIOS and disable the external cache.

XP will install and run slower, but that's one way of making the setup process more reliable...

Jennifer,

Stay tuned here. Hopefully we'll get to the bottom of this issue and solve it.

Hmm interesting. So the DFI nF4 SLI-DR has problems with Corsair ram?

You're having the exact same problems as me Rye. Ahh well, misery enjoys company. :)

Just to get your XP setup to finish, you should try to get into the BIOS and disable the external cache.

XP will install and run slower, but that's one way of making the setup process more reliable...

Thanks for the info, ag66! I haven't yet tried this, but I'll keep it on my list of tricks. How much slower will things run with extrernal cache disabled?

Okay, I purchased and installed the OCZ RAM that RGone suggested and the system can make it through WXP install without a BSoD. However, it does start spontaneously rebooting (which seems to immmediately destroy the XP install) a little bit after install. No BSoD, no lockup, no error, just a sudden reboot. What do y'all think the problem is likely to be? Also, does anyone have a good, stable set of BIOS settings for the 5/10-2 BIOS with OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 PC 3200 Dual Channel Kit (2 x 512MB) RAM? Thanks for your help!

Hello Rye,

I am using 510-2 with TCCD on Brainpower, just as you are. The settings I am using in my sig (click "here") are stable. You may need more or less CPU and memory voltage as we have different setups, but the settings seem to be solid. I would suggest using a lower HTT to start out with and work it up. GL :)

m

Hello Rye,

I am using 510-2 with TCCD on Brainpower, just as you are. The settings I am using in my sig (click "here") are stable. You may need more or less CPU and memory voltage as we have different setups, but the settings seem to be solid. I would suggest using a lower HTT to start out with and work it up. GL :)

m

Thanks for the suggestions, mucker! I've tried several things based on your settings and the system is still unstable. Here are the things I've done so far. Perhaps you or somone else can suggest what should be changed based on this information. I'm hesitant to increase the voltages too much. At what point do these voltages become unsafe?

1) Ran with your settings as listed -- memtest #8 errors

2) Your settings + LDT v 1.4 -- memtest #8 errors

3) Your settings + chipset v 1.7 -- memtest #8 errors

4) Your settings + changed to 230 HTT x10 = 2.3GHz -- no memtest errors -- prime95 errors right away

5) Your settings + changed to 220 HTT x10 = 2.2GHz -- no memtest errors -- prime95 errors right away

Anyone have suggestions for how to tweak this thing from here to get it stable? Thanks in advance for your help!

Thanks for the suggestions, mucker! I've tried several things based on your settings and the system is still unstable. Here are the things I've done so far. Perhaps you or somone else can suggest what should be changed based on this information. I'm hesitant to increase the voltages too much. At what point do these voltages become unsafe?

1) Ran with your settings as listed -- memtest #8 errors

2) Your settings + LDT v 1.4 -- memtest #8 errors

3) Your settings + chipset v 1.7 -- memtest #8 errors

4) Your settings + changed to 230 HTT x10 = 2.3GHz -- no memtest errors -- prime95 errors right away

5) Your settings + changed to 220 HTT x10 = 2.2GHz -- no memtest errors -- prime95 errors right away

Anyone have suggestions for how to tweak this thing from here to get it stable? Thanks in advance for your help!

I have now also run mucker's settings + changed to 200 HTT x11 = 2.2GHz -- no memtest errors -- prime95 errors right away

Help! :-(