Word of WARNING! Wrong driver specified at DFI.com! ?

I own a NF3 LP UT and have for a couple of month now. All was working just fine, I did a couple of formats and re-installations of WXP. And then when I tried the new updated RAID driver I got strange errors and the BSOD buffé was served..

I did some thinking and troubleshooting and then I checked the event viewer and, believe it or not, it gave me some usefull information that google didn't have to translate for me!

The error source was nvraid.sys. I went to the bios and checked all that was to be checked, but frankly there wasn't much to check in the RAID department.. DFI(heart)overclockers, not feature fetishists..

At the driver page for the NF3 LP UT the WXP raid driver has got this suspicious name: F6_NF4R.exe

This is the exact same filename as the LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-D WinXP RAID driver! Is this just a drunk web department guy's honest mistake or what?

If you scroll down you will see a driver put in the confusing category "RAID Utility". This contains the exact same content as the included RAID Driver floppy.

So I used the RAID Utility driver and now my computer is as stable as the colosseum!

moral of the story: NF4 is always NF4, not NF3

I have checked this out, and it would, a first glance, appear to be correct. The "RAID Utility" has the exact same files as the RAID Driver floppy that came with the board, right down to the total size of the files, 681KB. So, it's not a "Utility" at all, it's drivers to be loaded at the F6 prompt during installation. At first glance, the RAID Drivers on the download site, the F6_NF4R file, does look like it's for the NF4 board, as it even has a picture of the SATA ports on the NF4 board. However, in the NVATABUS.INF file , we see the following,

; *******Localizable Strings*******

NVIDIA= "NVIDIA Corporation"

Desc_x860= "SRCDATA"

MCP2Desc="NVIDIA nForce2 ATA Controller"

CK8Desc="NVIDIA nForce3 Parallel ATA Controller"

CK8DescSB="NVIDIA nForce3 Parallel-Serial ATA Bridged Controller"

MCP2SS="NVIDIA nForce2 Serial ATA Compatible Controller"

MCP2SP="NVIDIA nForce2 Parallel ATA Controller"

CK8SSS="NVIDIA nForce3 250 Serial ATA Controller"

CK8SSP="NVIDIA nForce3 250 Parallel ATA Controller"

MCP04SSS="NVIDIA MCP04 ADMA Controller"

MCP04SSP="NVIDIA MCP04 Parallel ATA Controller"

CK804SSS="NVIDIA nForce4 ADMA Controller"

CK804SSP="NVIDIA nForce4 Parallel ATA Controller"

MCP51S="NVIDIA MCP51 Serial ATA Controller"

MCP51P="NVIDIA MCP51 Parallel ATA Controller"

Note the references to NF2 and NF3 controllers. Does this mean that it is for all NF boards? Certainly another example of Far East lack of qulaity control, if not downright sloppiness exhibited on so many occasions by almost all companies producing computer hardware in the orient, which is, unfortunately, almost all that is available. I, personally, am getting sick and tired of having to put up with this lack of attention to detail, poor customer response (nothing personal AG and RGone) poor translations, and who cares attitude constantly exhibited by these companies. I wish we could buy from english speaking companies.

As I am reloading my comoputer tomorrow, I guess I will use the ones on the original disk. Anything else is too risky.

I wish we could buy from english speaking companies.

As I am reloading my comoputer tomorrow, I guess I will use the ones on the original disk. Anything else is too risky.

unless it's possible (unlikely?) that one of the english speaking dfi reps that inhabit this forum could correct this error or post a link to current appropriate drivers.

Capt Proton That may be true, but the fact of the matter is that I got nvraid errors that after 10 or so of those in a row, the BSOD pops up and a reboot is the result. This doesn't happen with the "RAID Utility" driver

Cyberparasite Yes, I would appreciate that

These drivers are made by Nvidia. Although Nvidia graphics card drivers and general chipset drivers appear to be fine, Nvidia IDE drivers have always been a bit circumspect so most likely, the problem is the drivers are just crap, which is not DFI's fault (and BTW, Nvidia is an US-American company). Of course, this is assuming that the problem is the drivers and not that your hard drives are failing of that you made a mistake setting up your array or some such.

I fail to see why it matters what the file is called if it is the right file and so far, all the info we have indicates it's the right file. It is very common for Nvidia (and other companies) to make universal driver files and while perhaps it would have been better for DFI to give the file a better name and to make it clearer that it's a universal file, for most of us, it doesn't really matter.

BTW, if you look at the description it says: "Description NForce RAID Driver for Windows 2K/XP/2003."

Nothing about being for Nforce3 only. In fact if you scroll down, there are some files which are apparently only for the Nforce3 and some files which are for the Nforce3 and II. This would also seem to indicate that the files are for Nforce3 and other Nforce boards.

BTW, I fail to see what language a company speaks (actually companies do not speak a language) has to do with this issue or the issue of quality control in general. The only relevant issue are translations/documentation and contacting customer support. As none of these have anything to do with the situation, it seems a bit silly to bring them up.

The issue of quality control and customer service is perhaps a bit relevant but although perhaps in general, quality control and customer service are better with more Westernised (not necessarily from English speaking countries tho) is better than from many less Westernised countries, this is a generalisation which isn't really that useful. Really perhaps it's more accurate to say that products from developed countries (which includes Japan) with high average wages tend to have better quality control and customer service simply for the reason that these are the only areas in which these countries can compete. Besides, there are many examples of poor quality control and customer service from American companies, the infamous IBM Deathstar 60 and 75GXP series being one of them.