Sign in to follow this  
jvandecar

Antec True Blue 480 Powersupply & LP UT NF4 Ultra-D

First off, I know DFI recommends and only supports the new ATX 2.0 24pin standard.

But, with only a 480 watt, a 20pin connection, it works! I figured I'd see if it would boot the board until I get my new powersupply in, and haven't had any stability issues with it at all, this is only with a A64 4000 chip with a mild overclock but it's stable. Also on the board is an audigy, asus eax850xt, two dvd drives, 2 200gig seagates and a dinky floppy drive.

Just curious, but is anyone else with non ATX 2.0 PS able to run w/o stability issues?

First off, I know DFI recommends and only supports the new ATX 2.0 24pin standard.

But, with only a 480 watt, a 20pin connection, it works! I figured I'd see if it would boot the board until I get my new powersupply in, and haven't had any stability issues with it at all, this is only with a A64 4000 chip with a mild overclock but it's stable. Also on the board is an audigy, asus eax850xt, two dvd drives, 2 200gig seagates and a dinky floppy drive.

Just curious, but is anyone else with non ATX 2.0 PS able to run w/o stability issues?

The problem primarly occurs when the mobo RAM jumper is set to power the RAM from the +5V rail.

But do replace with a new "approved" PS as soon as possible. ;)

PSU Requirements:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...75&postcount=13

Yes

I have a 300 watt seasonic 20 pin psu

A64 venice 3000+ overclocked to 2.7 ghz - 48 hour prime stable

I had a stability issue with graphics but after putting an artic silencer on my card everything is fine (crappy ati cooler)

I think this 480 watt thing is to cover DFI in the case of crap generic power supplies (pretty reasonable)

if it didn't work then no probs - I'll get the latest seasonic 430 PSU

bearing in mind my first overclock was from a 486 sx33 to an sx 40 - I am not a noob and I have been in IT for 11 years

Mine works fine.

But i m lucky to have an Antec smart power 350W 20pin.

Also 10% of forum members use 20 pin.

But u have no support from DFI if u use 20pin PSU.

I went from the 480 True to a Fortron 500watt, you can not compare the two. There is a huge difference between the them, stability beyond what you would expect. As soon as I can get my hands on a NF4 DFI board, I'll prove the 24 pin PSU's worth with a true mix of folks that have already done so. Stop trying to beat the board with parts that fall under specifications. Unless you are a serious RMA person, and willing to wait to get the perfect "value" rig, (by trial and many errors), go for it! They have more paitence and time than I. Rock on! To each his own.

It's kind of analogous to this, what engine would you prefer to push your 5,500 pound Chevy truck 100mph down the road continuously for the next year? 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, or 8 cylinder? The 4 could do it but will strain, run much harder, and wear out quickly. And don't even think of pulling your boat, trailer, etc.. Now with an 8, 100mph is easily achieved with much lower wear and tear, and feel free to add a boat trailer, it will handle it with ease. ;)

Same with PSU's. It's all about design and the quality of components and efficiency. You simply need to figure out your power demand by adding up the total anticipated draw. You can go low, run her hard and wear it to the bone, or go a bit overkill and purr gently along. If you put things in perspective, arguing about paying $50 or $100 more for a premium PSU is really pretty senseless. If the efficiency is top notch, it will pay for itself in utility bill savings in a short period.

I am not brand loyal and will use whatever is the best bang for buck period, just like my $49 Neo. It met my criteria at purchase time, 24 pin ATX2, 3% tolerances, 480watt min. The efficiency could be better at low loads, but regardless, it's a freakin' rock.

m :)

Why buy something you dont need?

The point is if your current PSU can handle the job you dont need a 24 pin one

Full Stop.

If you then still wish to buy one then go ahead.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Like I mentioned, it's all about one's load requirement. Just make sure to have enough clean available power when you decide to add hard drives, optical drives, another video card, cooling fans, etc.. If your current PSU can't quite cut it, you'll be buying one of those too. What's that....something about a fool and his money.....? ;)

I can't remember the last time I took something out of my machine, it seems like I'm always adding to it :P , but to each their own.....and more power to you if all works like butta! (no pun intended :))

m :)

Yep I use a True Blue antec 480watt PSU With no probs, im running a good overclock too.

This powersupply thing is a scam to sell more OCZ and such PSU's.

Nothing wrong if your ps can handle the load on each rail

Dude, you gotta be kidding me.

Did you not learn your lesson in the other thread you dumped in?

No one in this forum is interested in your opinions.

As I said earlier, anecdotatal evidence is not acceptable. Just because it works for you does not mean it will work for anyone else.

Since you can read at least some english, take a look at the posts above that shows the user greatly increased his stability by getting a PSU that meets the requirements.

Take a break from posting useless stuff like this. Please!