Please help - stock settings TCCD unstable in dual-channel

Good job Mal :) Don't get discouraged, it will keep getting easier for you as you keep working the bios, you'll develope a feel for things. This board is plenty tricky to set up, you'll see that one bad setting can make a night and day difference (it's just finding out which one that is :)), but, rest assured, no doubt you will get more comfortable as you go. Your hardware is fine, just needs tweaked like a fine musical instrument. I would suggest enabling the interleave and set your Vddr @ 2.9, don't change these for your next batch of tests for now, THEN go to work on tweaking the other settings. Here are my settings again with new suggestions next to them, e.g. (x):

You may need to give the CPU some voltage for stability. For your Venice set the startup voltage to 1.425v. Then set the CPU vid to 1.325 and the special VID to 110%. This will raise your CPU operating voltage to about 1.43-1.46v, very safe with nothing to worry about.

Quick test: Put the Trcd at 4 and test again. Don't make any other change until you need to. Just run tests #5 and #8. If you make a couple of passes, keep tweaking the HTT clock up or the memory settings down, your choice.

200 HTT

LDT x 4 (or x 3 as you head towards 250 for stability) always lower for stability

PCIex: 105 ATI (if Nvidia try 100-101)

1:1 memory ratio DDR400

LDT v = 1.3

Chipset v = 1.6

Vddr: 2.8v (2.9v)

Command rate: 1T

Tcl: 2.5

Trcd: 3 (4) :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, as you can see from my sig I have the same board, ram and an e revision a64 (san diego) the same as mal. I have had the exact same problem - memtest was failing all over the place when running bios defaults. In fact before i upgraded to the newer bioses (310 and above) i couldn't even POST without running 3-4-4-8 2t at ddr 200!!! I have found that for me the 414-3 beta bios performs best. I will try your idea of turning off bank interleave and setting drive strength to 7 tonight and report back later!

Could this be the new amd CPU's not liking certain ram - it seems most people I have read about having problems have some form of TCCD ram. whereas the big overclocks I have seen were based on bh-5 / ch-5 type ram.

Does anyone know if this is fixable with a bios update ?

Cheers,

Jimmy

mucker (or anybody else),

I'm not interested in clocking up until I get memory stability. For that reason I'm "ignoring" the first few settings you mention:

LDT x 4 (or x 3 as you head towards 250 for stability) always lower for stability

Is this ok? Just plan on using defaults for now.

Mal.

Hey,

Does anybody have some numbers/info on how bank interleave affects performance overall compared to other settings? Just curious, because it's really giving me a headache.

Mal.

mucker (or anybody else),

I'm not interested in clocking up until I get memory stability. For that reason I'm "ignoring" the first few settings you mention:

Is this ok? Just plan on using defaults for now.

Mal.

I am not suggesting that you have to ramp the clock up to use those settings. I would recommend setting the HTT to 200 and the memory to 1:1 (200) and then try the second set of tweaks I gave you and see if you can get stable with bank interleave enabled and 2.9v Vddr. I would really suggest leaving the LDT x 4 option even at 200 HTT. You will gain stability and there is practically zero performance loss as compared to auto (5). You can leave the PCI-ex at 100. I just suggested settings that gave me the best stability.

The Patriot ram you have is built to perform and can most likely hit 300 HTT - DDR600 with ease if the tweaks are right on. The memory/bios settings I provided are very conservative and you should be able to easily hit around those settings at HTT 250. Anyway, good luck sir....

m :)

Hey all,

I just completed my new system build using the same Patriot XBLK memory. I also ran into the issue of memtest #8 failing on the stock settings.

I went through this thread and tried a few things. Bank Interleave turned off allowed me to pass test #8, but it was considerably slower...definitely a sizeable performance hit from the looks of it.

However, I tried raising the DRAM drive strength to 7 and retesting with interleave turned on, test 8 passed with flying colors (5 passes all clean).

In the process of testing the remaining memtests to make sure DRAM strength 7 doesn't have any other adverse effects.