nF4 Ultra-D...PWM IC temperature high?

Alright, well my last Ultra-D got fried so I received this new one and I'm noticing a higher PWM IC temp in SmartGuardian. First of all, what is the PWM IC? Where is it located on the motherboard? Can I remove it and apply AS5 to cool it better? It's currently at 53C as I'm typing this. CPU is at 33C and Chipset at 48C.

the PWMs are the big sinked power regulators between the cpu and the power plugs on the board.

you cannot remove these.

you need to have a fan in that area if yours are getting too hot.

53C is not too hot...these are rated up to 110C minimum, but should be kept under 60C for optimal operation (they generate heat, and if you let them get say 85C the heat will start to cause the rest of the air in the case to get hotter, making it harder to cool anything)

are you using watercooling? I've found with watercooling these PWM's get very warm because there is no longer ambient airflow from a cpu heatsink/fan

So the PWMICs are the 3 small heatsinked things just behind the ATA/IDE sockets?

I keep being told by other people on other forums that it's the chip inside the red rectangle below...

dfipwmic7io.jpg

(ignore the big phat arrow)

My temps were nearing 60 at full load. I am watercooling so I had no air flow in the case to speak of.

I have since rigged a fan to blow on them and now at load they rarely go over 40 degrees C.

I have yet to see if this helps with OCing.

People using watercooler with this board need to be aware that airflow won't be as good as using an air cooler. Specially when overclocking the PWM goes hot.

I got a XP-90 and it also helps cooling the PWM because the air "spreads" around the cooler, my PWM temp at full load is 40ºC

the PWM area are those 3 heatsinks under the memory and above the molex connector.

I believe the top one has to do with memory Voltage and comes to play when you move the jumper over, but not entirely sure so dont quote me on that one ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Could someone confirm the answer to Timko's question please, as already weve been told 2 different things on 1 thread.

Mine hitting 65c on load, which has been pointed out as too high. Again like others I have water cooling, so less airflow.

• 9 months later...