A question for the DFI GODS - is SLI a fad? -- how long is this going

It seems like SLI is gonna last awhile.

But if you're worried about it going bunk on you get ONE SLI card. Whether or not SLI goes down the tubes the prices of that second card will get better and better =-p

And, you've got a nice PCI-E motherboard, so you can easily replace your one card with the next PCI-E cards.

LOL

The vote seems to be that SLI makes sense for a purchase today by Cronocrash, ExRoadie, Smokin Joe, Angry Games, Astral Abyss, Frallan, r1derbike, and Spooky for SLI mobo or at least an Ultra D to mod to SLI.

Jtc_hunter and heretic abstaining, with Jesus Faction voting no (but he owns an Ultra D!)

Many noted that you should get one card now and buy a second later if needed for performance or braggin rights…an idea I like as it allows me to save those funds that would have been spent on a 2nd GPU purchase now, and spend it now on other planned future equipment upgrades right now, ie cooling solutions, higher quality ram, sound etc. Later the prices should be lower on the graphics card when the 2nd card is deemed neccessary....

As I first understood the rules under this plan, you have to buy the identical card in order for the SLI configuration to work. In other words buying a twin.

But now I am wondering does this mean brand, model only. Or so to speak do I have to find an identical twin or can I get by with a fraternal one --- ie if the manufacturer makes some sort of update to a particular model, (whatever bios, capacitors chipset or some different internal parts config) it wont work? If so doesn’t that mean that I would have a hard hunt for an identical twin to my originally purchased gpu if buying new if there were changes since my original gpu purchase, or would I be forced to buy used on ebay and verify the release/manufacture date or revision code on the card to verify that it is actually an identical twin?

Any DFI GODS out there with an answer to that question?

Thanks!

4F

LOL

The vote seems to be that SLI makes sense for a purchase today by Cronocrash, ExRoadie, Smokin Joe, Angry Games, Astral Abyss, Frallan, r1derbike, and Spooky for SLI mobo or at least an Ultra D to mod to SLI.

Jtc_hunter and heretic abstaining, with Jesus Faction voting no (but he owns an Ultra D!)

Many noted that you should get one card now and buy a second later if needed for performance or braggin rights…an idea I like as it allows me to save those funds that would have been spent on a 2nd GPU purchase now, and spend it now on other planned future equipment upgrades right now, ie cooling solutions, higher quality ram, sound etc. Later the prices should be lower on the graphics card when the 2nd card is deemed neccessary....

As I first understood the rules under this plan, you have to buy the identical card in order for the SLI configuration to work. In other words buying a twin.

But now I am wondering does this mean brand, model only. Or so to speak do I have to find an identical twin or can I get by with a fraternal one --- ie if the manufacturer makes some sort of update to a particular model, (whatever bios, capacitors chipset or some different internal parts config) it wont work? If so doesn’t that mean that I would have a hard hunt for an identical twin to my originally purchased gpu if buying new if there were changes since my original gpu purchase, or would I be forced to buy used on ebay and verify the release/manufacture date or revision code on the card to verify that it is actually an identical twin?

Any DFI GODS out there with an answer to that question?

Thanks!

4F

Officially you need an identical card same model same everything. I am not sure if this is hard fact or just NVIDIA miking there own life easier. I strongly suspect that you will be able to use two diffrent ones with a little knowledge. Dont worry too much the makers only change there cards when they need to it costs money to make a change and retool.

If it gives you any idea my card dropped 100 dollars just sence the end of January. The memory and the PSU and CPU have also dropped though not by as much.

OK did a little gogling people have used two difrent cards but it was not easy even for the tweak experts. I would plan on getting two of the same brand just not nessarily at the same time unless you have plenty of extra cash to get good memory PSU also.

Considering the speculated speed of ATI's new GPU which is said to be probbaly around 2x the performance of an x850 then SLI wouldn't be worth it. But until the release of the actual specs of the R520 we will not know.

Considering the speculated speed of ATI's new GPU which is said to be probbaly around 2x the performance of an x850 then SLI wouldn't be worth it. But until the release of the actual specs of the R520 we will not know.

Last I heard it is going to be delayed. Then there is the time it takes for the new cards to become avalable without a huge premium.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23097

Guest SPQQKY
Officially you need an identical card same model same everything. I am not sure if this is hard fact or just NVIDIA miking there own life easier. I strongly suspect that you will be able to use two diffrent ones with a little knowledge. Dont worry too much the makers only change there cards when they need to it costs money to make a change and retool.

If it gives you any idea my card dropped 100 dollars just sence the end of January. The memory and the PSU and CPU have also dropped though not by as much.

OK did a little gogling people have used two difrent cards but it was not easy even for the tweak experts. I would plan on getting two of the same brand just not nessarily at the same time unless you have plenty of extra cash to get good memory PSU also.

I used an eVGA and Chaintech 6600GT in SLI without a hitch. I hadn't even flashed their BIOS to the same one and it still worked just fine. Shamino had the world record 3DMark with two different 6800s.

nothing against ati but there dual card setup sounds at least to me problematic. they from what ive read are trying to make it so you can use two cards but yet one model being a different speed for example one x800xt and one x700 . also i think they may have a difficult time coming up with drivers to use a sli in the configuration though im not saying its impossible. it just sounds like atl's might be a little complex or "buggy". nvidia is gonna have a full 6months heard start at least on making sli better. again im not loyal to either company i do indeed like nvidia and ati. but i think they need to remember the word "kiss" keep it simple stupid lol.

Roadie:

Prolly should have been more clear about that statement. I meant that DFI will not support Ultra Ds modded to SLI. Even Angry made that known in one of his posts. I KNOW he may offer advice unofficially, it's just in his nature to do so! ;-}

Charles

Roadie:

Prolly should have been more clear about that statement. I meant that DFI will not support Ultra Ds modded to SLI. Even Angry made that known in one of his posts. I KNOW he may offer advice unofficially, it's just in his nature to do so! ;-}

Charles

I guarantee you that if you mod an nF4-D or nF4 Ultra-D board and have a problem you will get support from this forum and AG. If you don't tell, they won't ask. As long as the mod doesn't change the physical appearance they will never know. I mean, if the board won't boot...

I used an eVGA and Chaintech 6600GT in SLI without a hitch. I hadn't even flashed their BIOS to the same one and it still worked just fine. Shamino had the world record 3DMark with two different 6800s.

Thanks for the info! Right now it is easier to just get two of the same kind so there is not a lot of info. Someone used a XFX and a Asus together about as far apart as they go. They would not tell how they got them working though.

Gawd I am an idiot -- but I guess it is hard to think outside of the box when you are trying to be a sponge, absorbing as much as you can about something new and relatively complicated.

Came to me in a flash. Since I am building 2 gaming boxes at same time, and my current vision of the rigs will be more than enough to run any game today with just one GPU on a SLI rig with all the video features maxed....

Simply buy two identical cards and put one in each box, and then when G70's come out for xmas 05 (if compatible "...11 micron process delivering double the performance of a 6800"? :drool: WOW!!), Buy two of those (or two 6800's after the price drop) and I dont have to worry about matching anything to boot!

Of course the same general idea would work if you got a buddy building a rig at the same time as you are, of course the fight would be down the road who gets the pair of new cards! :nod:

4F

Thanks for the inspiration...