Sign in to follow this  
Skijackz

NF4 Random Freezes

I'm experiencing random hangs and freezes, especially when I'm trying to transfer files.

Wierd thing is that I Primed and Memtested for 8 hours without a hitch. This leads me to believe it is driver/hardware problem but I've replaced drivers (Marvell and Nvidia 6.53), tried one stick of RAM vs 2 and alternated those to no avail. I've taken out fans, unplugged USB (except my mouse) and still, I'll get random freezes when trying to transfer files or just by surfing. I can't nail it down.

Any thoughts?

I followed the timings from RGone except that I bumped up the volts to 3.0v http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.php?p=104397

Ski

Did you install the IDE driver from the Nvidia Chipset drivers? They have been known to be giving problems.

Nope, I read about those causing problems and saw in Event Viewer that the NV IDE driver was the culprit so I rolled back and used the Windows IDE drivers. No more problems in Event Viewer but still random lockups.

I'm still trying different things but any suggestions are welcome.

Ski

i used to have random bluescreens too...

nothing could explain them

and...

it seems that i solved them by doing a low level format followed by windows reinstall....

so it prolly was a corrupted (by oc'ing) windows i had

I never had any issue with IDE nVidia drivers but a lot of blue screens with nVidia

Network Manager and Firewall.

If u have them (and using nVidia ethernet port) try unistall them or use Marvel one for a try.

I never had any issue with IDE nVidia drivers but a lot of blue screens with nVidia

Network Manager and Firewall.

If u have them (and using nVidia ethernet port) try unistall them or use Marvel one for a try.

I tried Marvel but didn't disable the Nvidia port. No joy. I'm thinking a good format and reinstall maybe in order because now it freezes after a couple of minutes. I'll do that tomorrow and see what comes out of this.

Any thoughts that this may be timing related with my memory. The CPU timings are stock.

I'll tell you this. I really can't wait to get it stable. It's a pain switching computers constantly.

Ski

So far so good. I did a complete re-format and install. Put RGone's settings back in but bumped up the vdimm to 3.0v. Primed for 4 hours with 512mb. Shutdown and installed the 2nd 512mb dimm and Primed for 2 hours.

The real test was moving my files and that has been going swimmingly for 2 hours now.

Thanks for the help. Now on to overclocking!

Ski