DFI NF4 BIOS Memory Guide

How relevant is some of the info in this guide to us NFII users? Like setting Drive Strengths and such?

Thought i'd have a play with my Drive Strengths and set them to 6. Currently got this garbage Twinmos CADT running at 222mhz where before i had problems running stable over 218mhz. I'm hoping i'll be able to squeeze more...

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How relevant is some of the info in this guide to us NFII users? Like setting Drive Strengths and such?

Thought i'd have a play with my Drive Strengths and set them to 6. Currently got this garbage Twinmos CADT running at 222mhz where before i had problems running stable over 218mhz. I'm hoping i'll be able to squeeze more...

Man I just don't know----pretty different chipsets----but the ideas behind the bios setting is basically the same....

I'd try it....

John

Well John, thankyou very much. I assume Drive Strength for Nforce4 does the same/similar thing for Nforce2's and so i set my Drive Strength to 6(of a choice between 1 to 15) and the impact on stability has been phenonemol. Where as before i couldn't pass 218mhz now i'm at 227mhz stable, and rising ;) Thankyou for such a great guide :)

I'm wondering about the Skew settings though. I've left those on Auto for now. Think i may have to look more into those to see if they can help some.

Well John, thankyou very much. I assume Drive Strength for Nforce4 does the same/similar thing for Nforce2's and so i set my Drive Strength to 6(of a choice between 1 to 15) and the impact on stability has been phenonemol. Where as before i couldn't pass 218mhz now i'm at 227mhz stable, and rising ;) Thankyou for such a great guide :)

I'm wondering about the Skew settings though. I've left those on Auto for now. Think i may have to look more into those to see if they can help some.

Glad it turned out for you.....that's a BIG jump!!

I have checked around and Skew may not be as innocous setting as I originally thought....

If you can find the right combo----some people get very nice stability and even overclocking benefits.

I'm going to play around with it more myself.

John

Well i'm running 2 different brands of ram in here, Hynix BT-D43 and Twinmos CADT. Now the Twinmos seems to like volts and at anything over 218mhz i got loads of errors in Test #5(and i needed 2.8v to run that). Altering the Drive Strength changed that so i only got errors in Test #5 at 225mhz, and even then i only got 2 errors on each pass... Increased the voltage to 2.9v and that little problem is fixed :)

Now this Hynix used to give me errors in Test #4 and #7 at 220mhz. I know this Hynix should be good upto 250mhz with loose timings and it baffled me, strengthening the Drive Strengths has fixed that too, so great all around improvements :)

I'll keep experimenting and see how much higher i can get. Only problem is when i increase the speeds by so much the CADT will start erroring in Test #5 till i give it more volts(very strange behaviour for Twinmos CADT because all the others i've seen don't need volts, this is acting more like Twinmos UTT CH-5) BUT the BT-D43 doesn't need volts... Currently running at 2.9v and i don't really want to take it any higher than that.

well 5/10-2 was working perfect so I Flashed back to 3/10 from 5/10-2 :)

and of course had issues with Prime and OCCT. :(

So went back to 5/10-2 and you guessed it, same problem.

Finally moved DQS Skew control to Auto (from increase) and strength to 0 (after trying most values from 50 to 240) and of course no problems at all. Give Auto and 0 a try if you have a problem using BH-5.

well 5/10-2 was working perfect so I Flashed back to 3/10 from 5/10-2 :)

and of course had issues with Prime and OCCT. :(

So went back to 5/10-2 and you guessed it, same problem.

Finally moved DQS Skew control to Auto (from increase) and strength to 0 (after trying most values from 50 to 240) and of course no problems at all. Give Auto and 0 a try if you have a problem using BH-5.

Whereas before----I believed that most of those "extra" settings were fairly innocuous....

It really appears more and more (especially with San Diegos) that tweaks in these settings can mean a LOT

ESPECIALLY for stability....

Skew

Drive Strength

Sata Drive Strength

Idle Cycle Limit

Dynamic Counter

Max Asynch Latency

John

I've been working an OC of a venice lately. Here are my results but I need some help.

260 x 10 @ 1.53v according to cpuz

Ldt 3x

tccd 3-4-4-8 @ 2.9v

all other voltages stock.

temps 40c after 17hours of prime95

So all is pretty good at this point. So heres my question.

My memory can take 315 fsb at same timings and voltage so I tried droping the multi down to 8.5 x 300fsb. but I never get past the cmos check. when I drop themulti even more to like 6 I can get into windows and prime for as long as I let it run which was like an hour. Not sure if it'll do more.

What do I need to do if I want 300-315fsb x 8.5. I've even tried losening the timmings.

The cpu runs at 2.6 and the mem runs up to 315fsb stable seperately but I can't get these numbers to meet and run together.

The mobo is dfi nforce4 ultra