Sign in to follow this  
Xcube15

How hot can the NF4 chipset get?

:eek2:

I put a blower fan pointing directly between cards into the intake of the chipset heatsink and, to my suprise, the temperature was lowered a lot. Now the temperature is 41º C at idle... will test it on games to see how hot it gets; it was a 13º+ C improvement.

Hmm, the problem about this is the blower reversed the air flow from the top video card... resulting in 6º C diference with the other, I think it was only 4º C before.

Ok, cooling the chipset is not an issue anymore... cooling the two 6800GT's however is. I opened the PCI doors below each card and with my case ventilation extracting more than what it pushes in there is very good ventilation over each video card, then the ventilation cycle was reversed YET again on top of the chipset... this time resulting on 47º C chipset temperature (idle), 52º C at max load (3d game).

Watercooling the video cards is the only way out, is there a small enough (thin) chipset waterblock to be able to fit on top of the NF4 and below a video card?

don't bother actively cooling the ram

Yeah, what for... since I don't have anything that needs or can take more than 3 volts, although testing those VX Gold from OCZ are tempting :P

Fragman']how about DFI makes something like that for the NF4-SLI-DR customers...the chipset is what makes the most noice in my computer.......something like that silent oates would actually be perfect....

And that with only have one video card? :rolleyes:

We need something that has a very low profile, but as such it wouldn't perform as well as it is needed for SLI mode. I am thinking about making the chipset heatsink myself, and maybe when I move into watercooling I might do the waterblock too.

The fan speed can be adjusted thru BIOS, telling which temperature to rise the fan speed at. If your chipset runs at 30's, then increase that setting to 40 deg.

im thinking a low hollow cooling block with a inside airflow from a 80mm connected via fanduct down to e.g. 12mm in the block...or what size it can be made for.....with a flexible tube it can be plced where it is best e.g. at the buttom at the cabby.....it isnt easy to make...must be in 2 parts and the fanduct isnt easy neither.

Yeah, upon examining that Abit motherboard I saw the two heatpipes... OMG!

Well water might be the less annoying way to go, but the waterblock to use represents a problem too.

There is another thread that wrote a guy who made a fanless chipset heatsink, huge btw, but looked very elegant and performed very well too.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6577

But then saw this other one... which blocks the second pci-e 16 slot...

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...6926#post116926

Try this...worked for me, and quite a few other people too.

Already did something similar, actually a little better because instead of using a spinning blade fan I used a blower one that has a small exhaust and can actually direct the flow of air better. Problem for this is how it reversed the flow of cool air around one of the 6800GT cards, resulting in 2 or 3 deg diference compared to the one below.

My problem is the SLI... with one video card, even on top of the chipset, the temperature was more or less high 30's low 40's :(

i am really in trouble with that fan now...dont know why, but yestoday it started making weird noices...perhaps a little part have fallen off the blower or something, but it is really annoying now...dont want to RMA the whole board now, so anyone knows a cpu cooler that has a thin buttom and enough fins when you cut them off........

attachment.php?attachmentid=7284&sid=

attachment.php?attachmentid=7285&sid=

attachment.php?attachmentid=7286&sid=

attachment.php?attachmentid=7287&sid=

just made my own, original blower started to make too much noice....made from a 8$ CPU cooler (global Win) pure copper......most difficult was that it was to large so had to get 5mm of copper off the back and 2 holes for the 2 things that came "up" from the mobo.....Works great. with a better finish at the buttom of the copper it could be better, but it is still only 2 degrees higher than the original.